Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 AM

294 posts, read 515,878 times

Advertisements

I am a well educated, white woman ( two graduate degrees from highly regarded universities ).

Born in 1959, graduated from high school in 1977.

I am liberal in most things, Protestant , very Anglo-Saxon and proud of my British roots. One grandmother's family on her dad's side came from Germany in mid 1700's.

My family is 4 generations off the farm, wish we still owned it. Mom is a retired hospital administrator and dad is a retired heavy duty welding contractor. I grew up in a solid 4 bedroom 2 storey house in a quaint village 15 miles from downtown, an area where houses now start at 400k if you can get a lot. In our old neighborhood, familes have lived there for 100 to 50 years, generation after generation.
My grandfathers on both sides were skilled tradesmen and grandmoms were stay at home moms.

No one in my family drinks or smokes. We were raised to be frugal and with a work ethic. There was always plenty of great food and a wonderful Christmas. I had nice clothes , many which were made by my granmother, and plenty of lessons ( piano, skating etc. )

We all worked our way through university and my sibs and I all have had good professional careers.

So, my question is, where might I have grown up in Cincy ? Which community ? In 1960's and 70's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 11:23 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,424 times
Maybe Wyoming or Mariemont.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:20 PM

224 posts, read 376,833 times
You grew up in Milford at 114 Cleveland Avenue, in the shade of big trees and just a stones' throw from the beautiful Little Miami River.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM

Default 114 Cleveland Ave

I am going to look at that one right now. Thanks for playing, ScottSWOhio !

Old 02-23-2013, 04:12 PM

Default Well done ScottSWOhio

Wow ! That was perfect. Really well done. Are you a realtor ?

I also like the white one across the street with the flag and the pool in back. And the red one across and down with the white picket fence.

I am going to explore that neighbourhood some more. That was fun.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
I would have grown up in Evendale. Dad worked for GE and didn't like a long commute.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:36 AM

224 posts, read 376,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
Wow ! That was perfect. Really well done. Are you a realtor ?
Maplelady, thanks. No, I am not a realtor, but I have bought, renovated and sold houses most of my life and keep an eye on the market. Also, I lived in Milford for six years and helped my daughter deliver newspapers up and down Cleveland Avenue and the adjacent streets of what is called Old Milford. Check out 729 Garfield - that's the house in Milford that we renovated and lived in. It was perfect for us - a solid brick foursquare with nice woodwork, over an acre of land with a huge bank barn, right next to the elementary school my daughter attended, with a wonderful woods right across the street but walking distance to the historic downtown. I still miss the house, and wonderful Milford, but I can't seem to settle down in any one spot for long.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 AM

Default Nice Job

I looked at your old house and you did a nice job, ScottSWOhio.

GoyGuy, I never raised my hand, the teacher always knew she could call on me ( ha !)

So, I looked at Wyoming and it has nice big lots but, no not my habitat. it looks a bit to i don't know the word. Is there a Usonion enclave with in Cincy? Some of this area looks like it may have been an attempt.

Also looked at Mt.Lookout and it is very nice but it looks to upitty for my family. Are all those swim clubs private . The little shopping district is trendoid but looks like it has some authentic roots. I was looking at homes on Beverly Hills Drive and then i came to one that looked familiar and I realized it was the Dumler house. Lots are not big enough here. Would worry about college drinking crowd, as it is advertised as poplular.

Not that i would have grown up in this area but here is a house that to me, says Ohio suburban got it made circa 1940s ... 7425 Fair Oaks in Amberly. Now that is a house. I can just see a Doris Day mom and the kids the yard. Dad playing catch with Chip and Junior. Mom and Cissy making Lemondae. I think i have the right stree nunmber. sometimes street view confuses me. it is the classic white one , long and perfect lawns, set back , with extensions on each end. Could only be more perfect if it had a pool.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM

Maybe the street number on Fair Oaks is 7413 . It is long and white with a centre peak, winding walk and plantings at the drive. It looks pristine and the curb appeal is undeniable.

What surprises me is how close it is to Reading Road.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:19 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,424 times
I don't know about a Usonian enclave, but I saw this a few days ago:
Architizer Blog » Want To Live In A Frank Lloyd Wright House? It Will Only Cost You $1.79 Million

It's in Amberley Village, just north of the border with Cincinnati.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati