U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 03:16 PM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
It's funny to have friends who love Cincy chili yet have never been to Cincy.)
Why would anyone find that odd? There are Cincinnati chili parlors all over Ohio and even in Florida, not to mention former Cincinnati dwellers scattered throughout the globe who make chili for their friends like I do. A few years ago there was a Cincinnati chili parlor in Wilmington, Delaware; no idea if it's still open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 04:34 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,929,204 times
Some Cincinnatians who got here before me opened a place called Riverfront Chili, in Cambridge, but it lasted less than a year. Because I can't stand the stuff this didn't surprise me.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:48 PM

109 posts, read 134,504 times
I cannot abide Cincinnati chili unless it is SOAKED in hot sauce. When it's doused in tobasco, it's great. When it's dry, I cannot choke it down.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:30 PM

688 posts, read 862,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Why would anyone find that odd? There are Cincinnati chili parlors all over Ohio and even in Florida, not to mention former Cincinnati dwellers scattered throughout the globe who make chili for their friends like I do. A few years ago there was a Cincinnati chili parlor in Wilmington, Delaware; no idea if it's still open.
One of me and my wife's trepidations when dreaming of where we will retire is leaving behind the ability to run and grab a coney or a 3-way at Skyline Chili. Last Summer we stayed at a friend's condo in Naples FL and right on the main drag through Naples known as the Tamiami Trail on the edge of a stripmall is a Skyline that looks like it hasn't changed it's signage since the 1980s. We both looked at eachother and said we think we've found a candidate for retirement. Now we just need to figure out how to afford it.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:24 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,013 times
Quote:
I just associate 3-ways with Cincinnati. The food and the place are intimately connected to me. So my friends who have been to the US less than a handful of times, and never near Ohio, being addicted to Cincy chili is amusing to me. There's something sort of weird about it, because it disconnects the food from the place.

Chili is not exactly like sushi, where everyone and their mother has had it, whether or not they've been to Japan. I don't really care if you get it, though. Chill on the attitude. It's funny how much 'tude you've given me since I joined up here. I must really rub you the wrong way. So be it, Little Miss Punk Rock.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 PM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Last Summer we stayed at a friend's condo in Naples FL and right on the main drag through Naples known as the Tamiami Trail on the edge of a stripmall is a Skyline that looks like it hasn't changed it's signage since the 1980s. We both looked at eachother and said we think we've found a candidate for retirement. Now we just need to figure out how to afford it.
LOL. The one and only time I've been to Fort Myers/Naples was about 15 years ago when a UD housemate's parents moved down that way after retiring. As we're driving down the main drag in Naples, I'm seeing Skyline, Graeter's and Fifth Third Bank.

I remember telling her parents that I came to Florida to escape Cincinnati, not to be confronted with it at every turn.

Of course, now I"m thinking that Naples might not be a bad place to land one of these days ... See you there?

Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Actually, I saw a couple Cincinnati chili parlors in and around Greensboro, NC.

I just wish that the Skyline's outside of the Cincinnati were not so bad ...

Old 02-23-2013, 08:37 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,013 times
Here's the one in Naples:
Skyline Chili, Tamiami Trail North, Naples, FL - Google Maps

Seems to me like people should get more creative and make their own brand. Pretty funny how apparently a lot of people have the same dream of moving to the sunbelt and opening a Skyline franchise. Doesn't get more Cincinnati than that, I guess.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 PM

25 posts, read 44,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
I always thought chili was a Mexican dish.
Not always.It's kinda like poutine you know when you want it. Your brain takes over a goes into auto pilot to the nearest chili parlour for a fix. Cincy chili is a meat sauce served on hot dogs and spagehti with optional beans and oinons. Both can be smothered in grated cheese. Simple quick local comfort food here just like poutine which I miss a bunch at nite after a hockey game and my fill of 8.0 beer! GO LEAFS GO!
BTW A six way a Blue Ash Chili.add jalapenos hmmmmm...

Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Seems to me like people should get more creative and make their own brand. Pretty funny how apparently a lot of people have the same dream of moving to the sunbelt and opening a Skyline franchise. Doesn't get more Cincinnati than that, I guess.

Actually, there are several similar products to Cincinnati chili.

The first is Real Chili, which has two location in Milwaukee. They date back to 1931 and were established at the Jesuit Residence Hall at Marquette. The product has a very similar taste and the portions are much larger than any Cincinnati chili parlor.

Tony Packo's in Toledo is also pretty similar. However, as it is more Hungarian, the dominant spice in paprika. It is NOT bad but it is difficult to get used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati