U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 AM

31,223 posts, read 57,365,082 times

Advertisements

Cincinnati chili also isn't all that dissimilar to my native Erie's "Greek sauce", a staple at little walk-up food joints and diners all over the city. The base is ground beef and tomato sauce, but the flavorings omit Cincinnati chili's cinnamon, allspice and cocoa. The sauce is served over hot dogs, burgers, fries, and heaven knows what else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,374,610 times
I recently took note of an increased amount of advertising for Wolf Brand Chili claiming to be the best of Texas. So I bought a few cans at the store. Very disappointing, watery as all get out. I was expecting to tangle with a hearty tex-mex chili. Couldn't tell whether it was from ground beef or not as the meat was too small to identify. And they even were stingy with the beans, and we all know how cheap beans are. The taste was not bad, but it was more like drinking it than spooning it from a bowl.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:48 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,374,610 times
Several years ago we had a daughter living in Reston Virginia outside of DC. During a visit there she said we are having Cincinnati Chili tonight. She took us to a store in a strip mall. Sure enough they had Cincinnati Style Chili there. It was not a sideline, it was the whole shebang. On the back of the menu there was even a short story about Empress in Cincinnati.

It obviously was not a franchise and I was unable to find out how they ended up there. But it was everything you would find in a Cincinnati chili parlor and not bad, not bad at all. They had everything down pat, including the various ways, the oyster crackers and the hot sauce. Caught me by surprise totally. Don't know whether they are still there since the daughter left the area. The one thing which impressed me was their shredded cheese. This is the item I find most difficult to reproduce by store bought products, don't quite know why.

We have another daughter married to a career Army man. Their main base is Fort Sill in Lawton Oklahoma which is nothing to rave about. They have been stationed in Germany and are currently in Hawaii. Everywhere they go, my daughter introduces the Army locals to two Cincinnati staples - goetta and chili. Most of them have never seen this in their life, but they sure can gobble it down.

We are constantly shipping either Dorsel's Pin Oats to them or one of the Cincinnati Chili spice mixes. She prefers the Skyline canned chili, no beans please we can add them. But when I look at the shipping costs for that kind of weight to either Germany or Hawaii I am enough of a skinflint to say Whoa. I told her we will ship a case of canned Skyline to you for Christmas, which you had better ration for your own use. But there is another package with a few bags of Dorsel's Pin Oats and several packages of Cincinnati Chili Spices which you can use to feed the masses.

The latest photos I got from her was for Super Bowl Sunday, which in Hawaii is still early in the day at game time. They had a house full of Army friends and families all sitting there scarfing down 5-Ways and Coneys like they grew up on it.

If it is good you will recognize it, and the younger you are the more readily you will adapt to it.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:53 AM

5,655 posts, read 8,761,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Several years ago we had a daughter living in Reston Virginia outside of DC. During a visit there she said we are having Cincinnati Chili tonight. She took us to a store in a strip mall. Sure enough they had Cincinnati Style Chili there. It was not a sideline, it was the whole shebang. On the back of the menu there was even a short story about Empress in Cincinnati.

It obviously was not a franchise and I was unable to find out how they ended up there. But it was everything you would find in a Cincinnati chili parlor and not bad, not bad at all. They had everything down pat, including the various ways, the oyster crackers and the hot sauce. Caught me by surprise totally. Don't know whether they are still there since the daughter left the area. The one thing which impressed me was their shredded cheese. This is the item I find most difficult to reproduce by store bought products, don't quite know why.

We have another daughter married to a career Army man. Their main base is Fort Sill in Lawton Oklahoma which is nothing to rave about. They have been stationed in Germany and are currently in Hawaii. Everywhere they go, my daughter introduces the Army locals to two Cincinnati staples - goetta and chili. Most of them have never seen this in their life, but they sure can gobble it down.

We are constantly shipping either Dorsel's Pin Oats to them or one of the Cincinnati Chili spice mixes. She prefers the Skyline canned chili, no beans please we can add them. But when I look at the shipping costs for that kind of weight to either Germany or Hawaii I am enough of a skinflint to say Whoa. I told her we will ship a case of canned Skyline to you for Christmas, which you had better ration for your own use. But there is another package with a few bags of Dorsel's Pin Oats and several packages of Cincinnati Chili Spices which you can use to feed the masses.

The latest photos I got from her was for Super Bowl Sunday, which in Hawaii is still early in the day at game time. They had a house full of Army friends and families all sitting there scarfing down 5-Ways and Coneys like they grew up on it.

If it is good you will recognize it, and the younger you are the more readily you will adapt to it.
More than a decade ago I started to make my own Cincy Chili at home. At that time my Mother and Grandmother were still alive and I introduced it to them. They actually liked it very much and ate it every time I made it.

Sideline note about Greek food from emigres to our country. Check out the following which is very popular in Rottenchester, NY. I make this also and the sauce is similar to Cincy Chili. This might be a dish that will fly in Cincy as well.

Nick Tahou's Garbage Plate

GarbagePlate.com - Nick Tahou's Hots

Old 02-24-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Check out the following which is very popular in Rottenchester, NY. I make this also and the sauce is similar to Cincy Chili. This might be a dish that will fly in Cincy as well.
This part was too funny:
Quote:
Drink as much Genny beer as you can
LOL For me that would be about a half a swig.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:38 AM

5,655 posts, read 8,761,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This part was too funny:

LOL For me that would be about a half a swig.
Genny Cream Ale is an excellent beer!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Genny Cream Ale is an excellent beer!
I certainly drank enough of it when I was in college.

Beer and Cincinnati chili, for me, just don't mix. It creates a noxious goo in my stomach.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 PM

148 posts, read 168,539 times
kjbrill- great stories about the chili and coneys, thanks for writing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati