Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:32 AM

4,481 posts, read 6,235,098 times

Advertisements

Just spent some time talking with the owner of Camp Washington Chili - you guys may know some or all of what I learned, but I thought I would share some of what he told me.

- Empress Chili was of course the first in 1922.
- There is no Greek equivalent of Cincinnati style chili in Greece.
- Though, Empress was ran by Greeks, they started things with the help of folks from Coney Island in NYC - I don't know if they were Greeks or not.
- They claimed it was an old world recipe, but that seems doubtful
- Skyline was started by people who worked for Empress and took what they knew and ran with it.
- Similarly, most chili parlors are owned by Greeks, and most trace their way back to Empress
- Camp Washington chili does not purchase ground beef but round and they grind it themselves on site.
- Empress went down hill once the original owner passed away. His son took it over and did poorly
- Obviously, Empress made a comeback
- Camp Washington's owner purchased Empress' name, recipes, buildings, etc.
- All Empress Chili locations are owned and managed by the same family that runs Camp Washington Chili
- Empress has such a reputation and following the owner left everything in tact

Last edited by TomJones123; 02-23-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 11:41 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,177 times
Thanks! Wow I want chili sooooo badly right now. Between you and Brill, you guys have set off the floodgates on my tongue.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Thanks! Wow I want chili sooooo badly right now. Between you and Brill, you guys have set off the floodgates on my tongue.
I just had a 5 way for breakfast. Yes, I had breakfast at 1pm.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:47 AM

Those Coney Island dudes (or their descendents I guess) need to open a Cincinnati chili parlor. NYC has just about every ethnic restaurant I can think of, but not Cincinnati chili. Except like once a month at that one bar, the name of which escapes me. That's not a substitute for a chili parlor.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Those Coney Island dudes (or their descendents I guess) need to open a Cincinnati chili parlor. NYC has just about every ethnic restaurant I can think of, but not Cincinnati chili. Except like once a month at that one bar, the name of which escapes me. That's not a substitute for a chili parlor.
I think Cincy chili would be a major hit in NYC.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:24 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I think Cincy chili would be a major hit in NYC.
The problem is Cincinnati Chili is an acquired taste. You have to be around it awhile before you say I Like This.

You people have me interested enough I am probably going to the store this afternoon and buy some ground beef, beans, spice pack, and enough to make some Cincinnati Chili tomorrow, and I will love it. I was just down to Costco last week and bought two huge bottles of Franks Red Hot Sauce, so I am fine in that department.

Trying to decide whether to use the crock pot or the dutch oven on the stove top. I use the crock pot a lot, but think I may do the cast iron dutch oven this time. It is still one of my alltime favorite appliances.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:31 PM

When I lived in Europe, I would bring over gallon jugs of Frank's to make authentic American buffalo wings. (I got a couple friends over there addicted to my wings and chili! It's funny to have friends who love Cincy chili yet have never been to Cincy.)

You really aren't supposed to boil water in cast iron, btw. Can hurt the seasoning and make it rust. Not that I haven't broken the rule and made Cincy chili in a cast iron pot. ;-)

Old 02-23-2013, 02:32 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
When I lived in Europe, I would bring over gallon jugs of Frank's to make authentic American buffalo wings. (I got a couple friends over there addicted to my wings and chili! It's funny to have friends who love Cincy chili yet have never been to Cincy.)

You really aren't supposed to boil water in cast iron, btw. Can hurt the seasoning and make it rust. Not that I haven't broken the rule and made Cincy chili in a cast iron pot. ;-)
My cast iron dutch oven is over 50 years old and I have abused it in more ways than one. It is my favorite appliance for beef roasts, whether pot roasts from chuck, or roasts from sirloin tip, rolled rump, or any other cut of beef. I just place the meat in the pot, add a little water so it doesn't get dry, set the oven on 325 degrees, and cook for 3 hours. After 3 hours I test what I have got. It is also what I cook my southwest style Tex-Mex type chili, and my Cincinnti style chili on the stovetop. I also cook most of my pork roasts in the oven. So yes, from time to time I do clean it with a detergent, so sue me. The important part is does it suit you, not what other people think you should or should not do with it. If it fits you do it, simple.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:35 PM

294 posts, read 515,795 times
I always thought chili was a Mexican dish.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:35 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Nathans hot dogs on conney island is a landmark but i went their and their hot dogs are terrible they should replace it with cincinnati chili restaurant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati