U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:42 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,957,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yes I believe that. Just look at what they spent to remodel, basically rebuild the clubhouse at the city owned Blue Ash Golf Course. Look at the golf course itself. Look at the money they spent to purchase the airport from Cincinnati they are now converting into a park. Look at all of the concerts and other public events they sponsor each year. Look at the new City Recreation Center. Where do you think all of the money comes from? Take a drive up Reed Hartman Highway from one end to the other and it becomes evident.

Blue Ash fell into a gold mine when Cincinnati finally decided to cancel their plans for a commercial airport after KY beat them to the gun with CVG. Blue Ash was able to acquire a large parcel of virgin undeveloped land and turn it into a business park. Other cities drool over such an opportunity. Why did Cincinnati not step out and try to annex the property? I can only assume they felt the non-contiguous property in between would be too large of a hurdle.

The only other city of similar size in the area which has an equivalent cash cow is Evendale with the GE Aircraft Engine plant.
I recall a newspaper table from a few years ago indicating that Evendale had the lowest property tax rate of any jurisdiction within Hamilton County. It has some pretty nice looking subdivisions, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 02:57 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,521,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Why on earth would this be an either/or? I think all those things are factors.
Yes, you're right. I just thought the omission was glaring.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 6,107 times
aaltman, although you have already gotten some great suggestions, I thought I'd throw out another area that might interest you. While reading your post all I could think about was the Glendale, Wyoming region, but mostly Glendale. This is a community just 11 or so miles north of the city with easy access to I-75, so it can be a quick 15 minute drive down to the city, especially on weekends during lighter traffic.

The schools are pretty decent as well with a couple of great small private grade schools, and a fairly decent public school system that was recently rated "Excellent". The village has a lot of history and great scenery (beautiful foliage and fanstatic historical houses and landmarks). You'll likely see people out walking dogs or running daily (wonderful scenery and history that the village has makes it a great place to walk, run and bike) and there are houses that you could likely find right in or around your budget.

Although the village is small and very quaint, there are a few local bars and restaurants in the area that you could go to to kick back every so often, but again, it is not too far from the city. In addition, it is right next to a large mall and shopping center for things that you might not want to travel downtown for. Some of the restaurants and local shopping stores and boutiques are right in the village square which is in walking distance from virtually every corner of the village.

Finally it is only a hop skip and a jump away from Blue Ash (literally you can take one road, Glendale-Milford, that will take you from Glendale, all the way to one of the busier areas in the Blue Ash neighborhood). And it's quite safe, as well! Might be worth it to check it out, if you're still searching!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 AM

71 posts, read 164,043 times
Hyde Park and Oakley will be most similar to Shadyside, but I have to second one poster's comments about Fort Thomas or Southgate. Fort Thomas looks and feels very similar to Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or