Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:12 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaltman View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Like I said, we have no idea what Cincinnati is like so I just wanted to get some feedback. I honestly thought it was strange that everyone we talked to was saying Hyde Park and Oakley and then this one person said "You do not want to live in those areas". Not sure what that was all about, but thanks again for the help!
A lot of people who don't live in the City really never come here and have no idea. I'm sure the Pittsburgh area is the same way.

Whenever someone tells me what I do or do not want to do--regardless of the topic--I pretty much tune them out.

I would say the Clifton is our squirrel hill, CUF is our Shadyside but with more crime, and Northside is our...regent square??

The areas we are talking about...Oakley, Pleasant Ridge, Norwood...maybe these are something like point breeze; each has its own business district and are farther out, so they are different -- and my pittsburgh knowledge isn't robust enough to give a better comparison.

Hyde park is the safety of the suburbs but in the city. A lot of wealth and conservative democrats, but also tons of young people in apartments who value the neighborhood for its proximity to where they study or work...that kind of place.

Last edited by progmac; 02-25-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 AM

4,481 posts, read 6,235,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
A lot of people who don't live in the City really never come here and have no idea.
Exactly! To those who don't know the city, it seems like they tend to think of it as some sort of evil boogeyman.

You are doing the right thing by asking around on the forums here. You really have most of the metro represented here. Some live in the city, some in the burbs...etc.

If it were me, I would ask away, make a list of potential areas, and then make a trip here and see which ones you really like. Cincinnati has a lot to offer, and a lot of variety - from dense urban to a semi-country setting.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaltman View Post
I honestly thought it was strange that everyone we talked to was saying Hyde Park and Oakley and then this one person said "You do not want to live in those areas". Not sure what that was all about, but thanks again for the help!
Hyde Park and Oakley -- and huge swaths of the city -- are perfectly safe; however, that is not to say they are crime-free. You're still in an urban environment, surrounded by neighborhoods that are a little rougher, and criminals are mobile.

Cincinnati is a city of neighborhoods,all with their own quirks, charms and caveats, and within those neighborhoods are pockets. You can parachute yourself down anywhere in the city, walk five minutes in any direction, and wind up in a place with a completely different feel from the one you landed in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
You really have most of the metro represented here. Some live in the city, some in the burbs...etc.
Some live in Philly ...

Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
OP...

In the Hyde Park, Oakley, Norwood, Pleasant Ridge area there is plenty of the ordinary grocery shopping, pharmacies, etc. Each neighborhood has its own original business district with Norwood I believe the larger.

The rather new Rookwood Commons and Pavilion, actually in Norwood but on the south side of I-71 has a variety of stores. The nearby Rookwood Exchange, currently under construction will add a motel, dining, and offices. Just to the east the brand new Oakley Station is being built on a former 74-acre industrial site and is a mixed use development from big box stores up the line. But when done it is going to look a lot like suburbia.

For more serious shopping you head up north on I-71 towards Blue Ash to the Kenwood Town Center at I-71 and Montgomery Rd, far and away the biggest shopping destination in Cincinnati. My daughter's favorite store Nordstrom is there along with Macy's, Dillards, etc.

Strangely enough there is a Nordstrom Rack outlet store in Rookwood Commons. They already had the Kenwood store planned and I guess just didn't want two stores of the same makeup so close together.

For a shopping convenience, the 4 areas mentioned probably offer the greatest variety of any comparable section of Cincinnati.

Another tidbit. Blue Ash will collect a 1.25% city income tax on earnings there. The neighborhoods so far mentioned will all have a city income tax exceeding the rate of Blue Ash. At a minimum you will have to file a return and pay the local jurisdiction the difference between their rate. All of Cincinnati is a 2.1% city income tax for the privilege of living there, but they will give credit for the 1.25% paid to Blue Ash. Norwood city income tax rate is 2%. Haven't confirmed if they will grant reciprocity, but I believe they will.

Why is Blue Ash's city income tax rate lower? Because they have such a great business base bringing income into the city. Probably one of those same businesses your husband is going to work for.

Another tidbit. Blue Ash recently purchased a small airport from Cincinnati. While it was called the Blue Ash Airport it was owned by Cincinnati. Basically small personal and business aircraft flew out of there. Blue Ash made an offer and Cincinnati accepted it. They are closing down the airport and converting it into a city park. It will take awhile to be built, but I expect it to be a great park, everything Blue Ash does is first class.

I know you express a desire to live in an urban setting, and I have tried to respect that. But if you are going to earn your livelihood from a suburban setting, particularly one like Blue Ash, I would also definitely consider living there. Take the time to look up all of the amenities Blue Ash has to offer. One of the best school districts (Sycamore, named after the township) in Cincinnati. Sponsors of (free) outdoor concerts and events during the summer. Sponsors of the (not free) Taste of Blue Ash festival probably topped only by the Taste of Cincinnati.

And as a runner, I may mention the just to the northwest boundary of Blue Ash the 761 acre Hamilton County Sharon Woods Park. You may not be able to run out the front door, but you could probably bicycle over there and run until your legs drop off.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:24 AM

114 posts, read 228,705 times
I agree with the suggestions of Oakley, Pleasant Ridge, Norwood, Clifton, and Hyde Park. However, I think if you are really into running you might want to lean more towards Oakley (or Hyde Park if you can find a 3 BR in your price range...which will be tough but not impossible....there are a ton of people looking for the same thing).

I'm voting for Oakley because it and Hyde Park (which is right next door) are huge running community where there are people running at all hours in all weather. I find that even in the safest neighborhoods it can be a little unsettling when you are the only one out and about if you go running in the morning, evening, etc. In these neighborhoods you pass other runners all the time.

I'm giving these 2 the nod over the other suggestions because they are next to each other and you therefore have a lot bigger area to run/explore without getting into any of the sketchy areas in between.

And in response to anyone that says Norwood is right next door to Oakley, yes...but running/walking across the overpasses at I-71 and through the Rookwood shopping area is not much fun.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:14 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,159,743 times
Probably Montgomery or the Kenwood area is the best fit. Why?

1. Great schools: Welcome to Sycamore Community Schools | Cincinnati, Ohio for Montgomery. The area around Kenwood mall is assigned to Indian Hill (no explanation necessary)

2. Houses in great neighborhoods in your price range: 4756 Kugler Mill Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45236 - Zillow

- Only downside is that $225k is a little low for Montgomery.

3. Walkability. Here is a walkscore from a listing for $189k in Montgomery: Walk Score of 9630 Ross Ave Cincinnati OH 45242

4. Convenience - Montgomery and the Kenwood area are right next to Blue Ash

Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Probably Montgomery or the Kenwood area is the best fit. Why?

1. Great schools: Welcome to Sycamore Community Schools | Cincinnati, Ohio for Montgomery. The area around Kenwood mall is assigned to Indian Hill (no explanation necessary)

2. Houses in great neighborhoods in your price range: 4756 Kugler Mill Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45236 - Zillow

- Only downside is that $225k is a little low for Montgomery.

3. Walkability. Here is a walkscore from a listing for $189k in Montgomery: Walk Score of 9630 Ross Ave Cincinnati OH 45242

4. Convenience - Montgomery and the Kenwood area are right next to Blue Ash
I ruled those out because kenwood is completely unwalkable and montgomery is too expensive (or so I thought). If you can find something in Montgomery, it is definitely worth taking a look at.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:54 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,177 times
"Why is Blue Ash's city income tax rate lower? Because they have such a great business base bringing income into the city."

You really believe that? It's because it doesn't have legacy costs, like centuries-old infrastructure and the remnants of white flight.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:50 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
"Why is Blue Ash's city income tax rate lower? Because they have such a great business base bringing income into the city."

You really believe that? It's because it doesn't have legacy costs, like centuries-old infrastructure and the remnants of white flight.
Yes I believe that. Just look at what they spent to remodel, basically rebuild the clubhouse at the city owned Blue Ash Golf Course. Look at the golf course itself. Look at the money they spent to purchase the airport from Cincinnati they are now converting into a park. Look at all of the concerts and other public events they sponsor each year. Look at the new City Recreation Center. Where do you think all of the money comes from? Take a drive up Reed Hartman Highway from one end to the other and it becomes evident.

Blue Ash fell into a gold mine when Cincinnati finally decided to cancel their plans for a commercial airport after KY beat them to the gun with CVG. Blue Ash was able to acquire a large parcel of virgin undeveloped land and turn it into a business park. Other cities drool over such an opportunity. Why did Cincinnati not step out and try to annex the property? I can only assume they felt the non-contiguous property in between would be too large of a hurdle.

The only other city of similar size in the area which has an equivalent cash cow is Evendale with the GE Aircraft Engine plant.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,976,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post

Why on earth would this be an either/or? I think all those things are factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati