Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 AM

2 posts, read 3,787 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have not been to Cincinnati before but will be starting my new job (close to Blue Ash) at the beginning of April. I am planning on visiting the city to look at aprtments in two weeks but would love to get some feedback on which areas to look at....

I am 27 (female) and will be living with my dog so I will probably not need anything bigger than a 2 bedroom. If prices for renting a house with a yard are not too bad I would also consider this as well but not sure about the market. (I used to live in Texas and renting a house with a yard in a decent neighborhood cost pretty much the same as renting an apartment and a yard would be nice for my dog to be in.)

I would like my commute to be not more than 30 minutes if possible and would like to live in a neighborhood that is safe and somewhat close to the city. I would like to have some shopping options, restaurants and other things to do around if possible.

I heard that many people at my company actually live in kentucky... Is there any reason for that preference?

Thanks so much for your help and let me know if I should specify some more things to be able to help me better

Appreciate it!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
OP...

If some of your cohorts have multiple children and such, the NKY neighborhoods may be attractive for several reasons. But commute convenience to Blue Ash area is not one of them. There are many apartment complexes in the Blue Ash area which I believe a single female can be very comfortable in, dog included.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM

148 posts, read 213,370 times
House (with yard) is much harder to find and more expensive. Any acceptable house within reasonable commute to BlueAsh is minimum $1,100 per month, unless you get extremely lucky, because there are armies of locals who will beat you to it.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:54 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
If it's just you, you can probably find a two-bedroom house with a yard with a reasonable rent. Places like Norwood, Hartwell, Silverton and Deer Park have acres of one-story or 1 1/2 story houses that would fit the bill. How much are you wanting to spend?

Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,787 times
Thanks for the quick responses...

I am willing to spend around $1000 plus utilities but a house would probably be too big for just myself anyway...

What would you consider as "nice neighborhoods" (nothing fancy necessarily) in the Cincinnati area? I am just overwhelmed by the number of different apartment complexes and need to narrow down my search and start looking for specific areas

I read in other posts that Mt Adams seems to be nice as well as Clifton, Wyoming and Glendale...

How would you guys describe Blue Ash?

Old 02-26-2013, 11:55 AM

148 posts, read 213,370 times
Don't necessarily give up on the house idea. I continue to be amazed at the thousands of nice, well kept, tiny brick cape cod style houses built in the 40's. Single story, 800 sq. ft. 2br I'm guessing, loads of character, perfect size for single. Hard to find those in rentals tho. Blue Ash, Deer Park, Oakley, Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, and all others along that line, and that's just the east side, but I'm sure west side also.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:31 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
OP...

Stay close to Blue Ash. Deer Park abuts it. It is an older community so very little is brand new. But hopefully you can find a dwelling with a small yard for the dog and within your means. Deer Park is perfectly safe and a stones throw from the biggest shopping complex in Cincinnati, Kenwood Town Center. Oh BTW KTC is only a stones throw south of Blue Ash. If you can locate in that immediate area you will be both safe, short commute, and happy.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,424 times
Clifton is close to the city (well, it's in the city and close to Downtown), and there are a lot of places with yards, though you would not rent the whole house you could have access to the yard (depending on the rules of the individual place). Some places have fenced-in yards, which would probably be ideal. The Ludlow Avenue business district has a little of everything, so you could walk there and shop and eat and be entertained.

You may be able to rent a house with a yard in Norwood or Pleasant Ridge, which would be closer to work and farther from Downtown. Clifton is safer, but these places are not scary.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:14 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Stay close to Blue Ash.
She says she wants to be close to the city, but you ignore that and try to pull her out into the burbs.

There are very good reasons to want to live closer to the city. For example: When you are doing things at night, which people expressing a desire to be close to the city usually do, it's A LOT easier to get home if you live close to where you're hanging out. This is especially true after you've had a couple drinks, when it is illegal to drive. No one in their right mind is going to be hailing a cab from downtown to Blue Ash each weekend, unless they are making loads of cash.

You should try listening more to the OP's preferences and less your own. The only time I suggest a city neighborhood when someone specifically asks about the burbs is when I see the city neighborhood meeting their criteria more closely than areas further out. You're just projecting here. When people say they will tolerate up to a 30-minute commute, they are specifically saying it doesn't bother them that much living a bit away from their job.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
She says she wants to be close to the city, but you ignore that and try to pull her out into the burbs.

There are very good reasons to want to live closer to the city. For example: When you are doing things at night, which people expressing a desire to be close to the city usually do, it's A LOT easier to get home if you live close to where you're hanging out. This is especially true after you've had a couple drinks, when it is illegal to drive. No one in their right mind is going to be hailing a cab from downtown to Blue Ash each weekend, unless they are making loads of cash.

You should try listening more to the OP's preferences and less your own. The only time I suggest a city neighborhood when someone specifically asks about the burbs is when I see the city neighborhood meeting their criteria more closely than areas further out. You're just projecting here. When people say they will tolerate up to a 30-minute commute, they are specifically saying it doesn't bother them that much living a bit away from their job.
^ This!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati