Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 04:42 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Simple. Human nature basicaly likes a mild and tolerant environment.
So people who like living in the city must prefer a harsh and intolerant environment?

I mean really. You are in the same boat as everyone else. You have your preferences and recommendations based on your experiences. When you shoot out beyond that, all you wind up doing is being less helpful to the OP because the board becomes cluttered with your preferences wrapped up in some philosophical sales pitch. Give it a rest, and allow the rest of us to contribute w/o coming under fire.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
So people who like living in the city must prefer a harsh and intolerant environment?

I mean really. You are in the same boat as everyone else. You have your preferences and recommendations based on your experiences. When you shoot out beyond that, all you wind up doing is being less helpful to the OP because the board becomes cluttered with your preferences wrapped up in some philosophical sales pitch. Give it a rest, and allow the rest of us to contribute w/o coming under fire.
So the OP comes in, says she will be working near Blue Ash, not quite sure where that is, mentions she previously had a house in Texas roughly equivalent cost wise to an apartment, with a yard for her dog

So fine jump in here and tell her where she is going to find a place with a yard for her dog and and a resonable commute to Blue Ash. I can back off. Only have the obligations of the OP in mind. If you all have preferential treatments please jump in here with both feet.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:19 PM

148 posts, read 213,222 times
Koellegirl- you owe it to yourself to look at Wilkens Blvd., 45040.
Google satellite view it, street view it. If you don't like it, you've still done yourself a favor, because you've just completed 50-percent of your search, and then you can haggle out Kenwood and south.
That area was built for people like you (and those like you but raising families), and it is all brand new. Tons of complexes.
Panera, Polo Grill, Abuelo's, Whole Foods Market (cooking classes, nightly get togethers), Red Robin gourmet burgers, on and on, all right next to each other and easy to get to.
Tons of green space for doggie.
Enough to keep you interested all weekend every weekend, and if not then Kenwood mall 20min drive on weekends, and downtown 30min.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koellegirl261 View Post
Hi,

I have not been to Cincinnati before but will be starting my new job (close to Blue Ash) at the beginning of April. I am planning on visiting the city to look at aprtments in two weeks but would love to get some feedback on which areas to look at....

I am 27 (female) and will be living with my dog so I will probably not need anything bigger than a 2 bedroom. If prices for renting a house with a yard are not too bad I would also consider this as well but not sure about the market. (I used to live in Texas and renting a house with a yard in a decent neighborhood cost pretty much the same as renting an apartment and a yard would be nice for my dog to be in.)

I would like my commute to be not more than 30 minutes if possible and would like to live in a neighborhood that is safe and somewhat close to the city. I would like to have some shopping options, restaurants and other things to do around if possible.

I heard that many people at my company actually live in kentucky... Is there any reason for that preference?

Thanks so much for your help and let me know if I should specify some more things to be able to help me better

Appreciate it!
Actually, Brill, this is what she said. Room enough for everyone to make suggestions w/o having someone come along and start bashing other's points of view.

Honestly, Hyde Park is probably a perfect fit.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Patronizing and tone-deaf.
"Patronizing"- way to go ninja, great word.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Simple. Human nature basicaly likes a mild and tolerant environment. That is what you find in Deer Park and Dillonvale, particularly if you find a property where that dog can feel at home. So now you are happy since the dog is happy and you have a short commute to work. Is there more you want in life? If so then venture into the City. Otherwise just be content with your mundane suburban lifestyle enjoying that dog.

We had dogs for about 30 years when our kids were growing up. They were great. Now we have had cats for about the last 20 years. They are different but also great. Our current one, Zoey, comes up about 6:00 AM in the morning, jumps up, and lays on me. She will stay there until I get up, go downstairs, and get her a small can of wet food. If the wife gets up earlier and feeds her she is content with that too. But she will still come back upstairs and jump on me until I get up. Pets are great in our lives and great to have around.

Just find an environment where you and the dog can coexist. It will make your transition to Cincinnati so much easier.
Great point Mr. Brill makes about the dog, and he's right that it can destroy your job if you have dog problems.
Unfortunately he gave it all back and then some with two disturbing statements (1) Is there more you want in life (2) be content with your mundane <whatever>. Very unfortunate offerings indeed. I give him benefit-of-doubt he did not mean it that way. I mean, what 27 yearold professional (or any positive person) wants to hear words like that.

Last edited by 5thgencincy; 02-26-2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old 02-26-2013, 08:07 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
I don't wish to become involved in the tiresome arguments here, but OP, if you were my daughter I'd hope you WOULD have a look at Deer Park and the smaller adjacent subdivision of Dillonvale. Maybe it won't be your cup of tea, but rents should be reasonable and it's safe and convenient to your work. You would need to go elsewhere for your socializing, but you would likely have good neighbors, a real plus being single and in a new town. Please ignore the petty bickering going on here and add these areas to your list to consider.

Hyde Park would be more fun, but it's going to be tougher on your dog and a lot more pricy.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,541,771 times
Dillonvale and Deer Park, more affordable, yes. Exciting, NOT, particularly for a professional 20-something single female that wants things to do.

You're more likely to find people your own age and interests in Oakley, Hyde Park, Mt. Adams, even Walnut Hills near Eden Park. When the weather is nice, the streets in Walnut Hills around Eden Park are crawling with young single women with dogs! Find yourself a nice apartment in a large Victorian, or sublet a small condo. There are tons of options.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:42 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
As the discussion continues, I'd like to remind everybody to focus on actually trying to help the op, not on winning an argument. Or promoting your agenda. Or posting anything else off topic.
Yac.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
From a driving POV, Deer Park and Dillonvale (in relation to Blue Ash) do make sense, especially since these two adjacent communities offer inexpensive rental and housing options that will appeal to a single female with a dog, who's also seeking convenience and security. Needless to say, if the Dillonvale IGA grocery can't handle the OP's basic food needs, the Taj Mahal Hunt Rd. Blue Ash Kroger store certainly can.

And NOTHING more need be said about fabulous Cincinnati's "Kenwood Town Center" (KTC) than what's already been said; KTC's not only Cincinnati's most fabulous shopping destination, it's also one of Ohio's.

Now here's "the rub" (and this is aimed at the OP's ears alone.) Deer Park/Dillonvale, in relation to her job in Blue Ash, are all they are said to be (convenient, affordable, and safe). Yet they are also two of the most bland and unexciting suburbs in the entire Cincinnati metro. No places for a young and single 27-yr. old female (even with a dog), unless she wants to expire with boredom etched all over her face. As already mentioned, the convenience to both job and shopping can't be ignored. But soon enough, the endless treks to that "wonderful" Blue Ash Kroger and that "fantastic" KTC will wear thin, and this professional 27-yr. old female OP, with her dog, will be screaming to herself: "Is this ALL there is?" And my answer would be: "Absolutely not--the richness of Cincinnati is discovered the more one draws into its center--and we're not talking about convenience nor shopping, but about people and relationships." Let's give our OP credit for determining what's the best for her.

Last edited by motorman; 02-27-2013 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati