Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 AM

114 posts, read 228,705 times

Advertisements

I don't think there is a specific thread on Wasson Way but since it could be a significant project I thought it deserved one. Here is the latest article:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...NEWS/302250171

I agree the city is probably including this in the wish list for the parking proposal funding to make it more attractive to people living on the east side. However 3 million seems very reasonable for over 3 miles of bike path that has the potential to spur development along the trail and also increase property values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 AM

41 posts, read 76,820 times
At our Community Council meeting, a city economic development officer hinted that beyond a bike path, this easement may be used for future light rail development.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:00 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliesThoughts View Post
At our Community Council meeting, a city economic development officer hinted that beyond a bike path, this easement may be used for future light rail development.
My fear is that, in creating the bike trail, they will make it more difficult (physically or politically) for light rail to eventually happen. This is a really good corridor for light rail (unlike the Oasis line, which Portune is championing).

It's also a great candidate for a bike trail, just not at the expense of future light rail.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
My fear is that, in creating the bike trail, they will make it more difficult (physically or politically) for light rail to eventually happen.
True; once the tracks are gone, it's unlikely that they'll come back.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Not so fast! There was extensive "urban removal" done ahead of building an expressway in Boston. It left a desolate swath through several neighborhoods - and the road ended up never being constructed. What ended up happening with the project was a huge positive. A rapid transit line was relocated from an El, parallel commuter rail tracks were added, AND bikes paths were put in. There was even enough space left over for planting grass and trees to create Southwest Corridor Park. Most of the surrounding communities, which had been in decline for various reasons over time, have rebounded as a consequence.
Of course Cincinnati is a whole 'nother kettle o' fish. Aside from that there wouldn't be enough open land along Wasson Rd to undertake that large-scale of a redevelopment. For all the out-and-out hysteria over even the nascent light-rail system I wouldn't bank on any extension of it being allowed within my lifetime. But, even so there ought to be adequate room for accommodating both trails and rails. All you need is two sets of tracks adjoining each other (with some room for sidings and switches.) The bike/hike path could be routed around station platforms with racks provided at each stop. From here it all seems to be a pipe dream though. Can't you hear the screams of the Snide Park NIMBY's already?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:19 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Yes I can, don't bring a low echelon drawing rail system through our neck of the woods. One of the main reasons I don't see a light rail system getting off the ground in Cincinnati for a long, long time.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 PM

800 posts, read 950,774 times
Good grief, people.

The Wasson tracks have been on OKI's radar for light rail since the late 1970s. I have the graphic from the report in my book. The corridor was studied in more detail in the late 1990s in anticipation of the Metro Moves campaign. At that time it was estimated that the line would attract an incredible 20,000 daily riders. By comparison, Metro's three highest ridership bus lines attract 10-12,000 daily riders -- and those over routes that are over ten miles long.

Let's repeat that: in just 6 or so miles of track between Xavier University and Fairfax, the Wasson line is projected to attract 2X the 10+ mile #43 bus. So 4X more ridership per mile. And the Wasson rail line will be relatively inexpensive to construct. The only special engineering will be new bridges over I-71 and Red Bank Rd., and also a tunnel of about 1/2 mile in length beginning somewhere west of Madison Rd. and surfacing somewhere west of Edwards.

Yes, the bike trail can be built parallel to the light rail line between Xavier and Marburg with the exception of the above-mentioned tunnel section, where the bike trail will go on the surface above the rail line. Also, there is one small property in Norwood that will likely have to be demo'd.

The $3 million is only enough money to purchase the ROW and design the project. It will not pay for the bike trail and certainly not for the rail line.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 AM

112 posts, read 152,531 times
^ Do you mean a tunnel from west of Madison to east of Paxton?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 PM

800 posts, read 950,774 times
^ Do you mean a tunnel from west of Madison to east of Paxton?

I meant to write west of Madison to east of Edwards. I think that is the bare minimum for the tunnel. Hopefully a longer tunnel all the way to Paxton can be budgeted. Otherwise the bike trail will be built where the single railroad track is now and Wasson Rd. will be rebuilt with light rail tracks running in it like a streetcar.

I've also told people I think a priority should be made on the bridge over I-71. Get rid of the existing bridge and hire an architect to design something really impressive. It'll be a great advertisement for the trail and rail service, plus Xavier University and surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati