U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2013, 07:04 AM
 
4 posts, read 5,359 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to optain entrance to older homes to optain structure pieces, such as lighting, hardware, woodwork, etc. I am willing to do all of the labor and hauling away for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA
4,730 posts, read 10,942,054 times
Reputation: 6455
You could get in touch with the Greenacres Foundation. They've done a fine job trashing the interior of the Gamble House.
Seriously, though, if there's even been a vandalism permit granted it's news to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 09:36 AM
 
1,130 posts, read 2,024,807 times
Reputation: 700
Nothing personal, but even if I knew, I wouldn't tell you. I live in a home that was once abandoned and was pillaged of many of its original fixtures. It's nearly impossible to replace all that and what you end up with is a historic exterior that's an empty shell.

I know many salvagers justify what they do by saying "if I don't take it, someone else will," or "if I don't take it, it will all just get bulldozed with the house." Well, in my neighborhood, there are tons of houses with historic character, but the stained glass windows mysteriously disappear, mantles are ripped out, light fixtures are snatched up, destroying much of the value that would make the houses attractive to rehabbers. When you start stripping some of these houses, it becomes a bit of self fulfilling prophecy toward the wrecking ball. Or, the house just ends up being another rental unit.

At least you seem to be wanting to be above board and get permission, but I know someone who was a victim of architectural theft. Someone scaled a three story turret in a Queen Anne Victorian and stole an ornate weather vane, and was so skilled in what they were doing that they installed a cheap replacement in the hopes that no one would notice. Fortunately, the homeowners found it on eBay and were able to recover this irreplaceable piece.

Sorry, but I am a bit of a purist. I believe these things belong in the houses that they were installed in originally. I do understand that when there is no chance of saving a structure, that it's best to save pieces of it. But, when I look at some neighborhoods where the structures got a reprieve in the '70s, '80s, and even more recently, you can only look at them and say "what if?" It galls me to think that one of my fireplaces or my windows are languishing somewhere in a salvage yard or someone's basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 10:29 AM
 
1,295 posts, read 1,520,543 times
Reputation: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Nothing personal, but even if I knew, I wouldn't tell you. I live in a home that was once abandoned and was pillaged of many of its original fixtures. It's nearly impossible to replace all that and what you end up with is a historic exterior that's an empty shell.

I know many salvagers justify what they do by saying "if I don't take it, someone else will," or "if I don't take it, it will all just get bulldozed with the house." Well, in my neighborhood, there are tons of houses with historic character, but the stained glass windows mysteriously disappear, mantles are ripped out, light fixtures are snatched up, destroying much of the value that would make the houses attractive to rehabbers. When you start stripping some of these houses, it becomes a bit of self fulfilling prophecy toward the wrecking ball. Or, the house just ends up being another rental unit.

At least you seem to be wanting to be above board and get permission, but I know someone who was a victim of architectural theft. Someone scaled a three story turret in a Queen Anne Victorian and stole an ornate weather vane, and was so skilled in what they were doing that they installed a cheap replacement in the hopes that no one would notice. Fortunately, the homeowners found it on eBay and were able to recover this irreplaceable piece.

Sorry, but I am a bit of a purist. I believe these things belong in the houses that they were installed in originally. I do understand that when there is no chance of saving a structure, that it's best to save pieces of it. But, when I look at some neighborhoods where the structures got a reprieve in the '70s, '80s, and even more recently, you can only look at them and say "what if?" It galls me to think that one of my fireplaces or my windows are languishing somewhere in a salvage yard or someone's basement.
Great post! My conscience wouldn't let me strip old houses of their treasures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis and Cincinnati
682 posts, read 1,388,648 times
Reputation: 610
Trying to take things out of a vacant house is the best way I know of to get arrested, or shot!

Just because a house is boarded does not mean its being demoed. Often homes are boarded by banks until they are sold.

I Might add that when architectural theft does occurr people in the Preservation community notice. I send out warnings to a huge network of antique dealers in the midwest. The city has ordinance on architectural theft too. Antique dealer can be fined if they cannot verify ownership.

You efforts might be better spent buying an old house and restoring it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 07:59 PM
 
4 posts, read 5,359 times
Reputation: 10
I own a historic 100yr old house myself and was looking for pieces for my home. Maybe you should consider asking why I wanted to do this before you judge. Thats whats wrong with people today, always thinking the worst and accusing!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 08:04 PM
 
4 posts, read 5,359 times
Reputation: 10
I am so angry and hurt by the answers I have recieved! If I was gonna steal why would I be asking a question on a open public site??? I also have contacted the city of Cincinnati, I guess I should call them so they can come and arrest me ASAP! I won't ever be back on this site again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 PM
 
133 posts, read 154,184 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Trying to take things out of a vacant house is the best way I know of to get arrested, or shot!

Just because a house is boarded does not mean its being demoed. Often homes are boarded by banks until they are sold.

I Might add that when architectural theft does occurr people in the Preservation community notice. I send out warnings to a huge network of antique dealers in the midwest. The city has ordinance on architectural theft too. Antique dealer can be fined if they cannot verify ownership.

You efforts might be better spent buying an old house and restoring it.
Perhaps you shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nays407 View Post
I own a historic 100yr old house myself and was looking for pieces for my home. Maybe you should consider asking why I wanted to do this before you judge. Thats whats wrong with people today, always thinking the worst and accusing!!
I agree, that was uncalled for. Perhaps he misjudged your original post, atleast that's what I'm hoping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2013, 05:44 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
3,335 posts, read 5,731,421 times
Reputation: 2058
as far as i know there is one way to obtain entrance to an older home, a newer home, an occupied home, or a vacant home.

ask the property owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 AM
 
1,130 posts, read 2,024,807 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by nays407 View Post
I own a historic 100yr old house myself and was looking for pieces for my home. Maybe you should consider asking why I wanted to do this before you judge. Thats whats wrong with people today, always thinking the worst and accusing!!
Let me suggest this...rather than exacerbating the problem by removing fixtures from houses that still have them, visit the salvage yards. Wooden Nickel here in Cincinnati is ok for some things, but they've been dealing more in furniture in recent years. From time to time, I've heard Wooden Nickel being accused of "midnight raids" to acquire some of their merchandise, but I don't think that's true. Columbus has a very good salvage operation, as do Indianapolis and Louisville. There's one up in Toledo, too, but they are pretty pricey.

Another route is to visit the Habitat for Humanity ReStores or Building Value in Northside. There also a place in Covington, but I can't remember the name right now. It's catch as catch can, but if you go to these places on a regular basis, you can find some really good stuff. I was at Building Value recently and found a perfectly good 100 year old John Douglas Company toilet, perfect for a vintage bath renovation. Prices at these outlets will be much better than the aforementioned salvage yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top