U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:51 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,013 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if west siders view Northside as a west side neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 02:54 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Likely no one can tell you, since as you already noted, no west-siders participate in this forum. To find out for yourself, check a map to see if it's west of Vine Street.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,605,028 times
I'm a west sider (Miami Township). It doesn't get much attention because there's nothing to talk about. For someone my age, it's a boring place to be and the east side has more going on and things to do IMO.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:17 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Likely no one can tell you, since as you already noted, no west-siders participate in this forum. To find out for yourself, check a map to see if it's west of Vine Street.
That is an inexact measure. UC west campus is west of Vine Street, but who's going to tell you it's "west side"? In that area, I think the Mill Creek is a better measure. And Northside is on the west side of the Mill Creek, directly bordering the Mill Creek. Making it sort of borderline. As far as I can tell, it shares way more culturally with Clifton than with Westwood or Price Hill. And, while Clifton is west of Vine, it is east of the Mill Creek.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:08 PM

682 posts, read 1,387,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
Thanks for the great info everyone. Restoration Consultant, what is the name of the neighbourhhood where the Fleetwood and Werkcastle houses are located ? There is one set back, not visble from the street, with a large property.

Westwood.

Other grand mansions in the area include the OsKamp mansion on Harrison, a stunning free classic It is now a retirement village with large additions constructed behind it but eth main hosue is intact

http://libcudl.colorado.edu:8180/lun...nati,%20Ohio)/

In fact there are Grand homes all over the westside In Knox Hill there are several grand mansions along Fairmount One a huge Richardson Romanesque on a huge lot, further up the street are several Federal era homes dating back to the 1850's.

Everytime I take a side trip down a street I discover something.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 PM

213 posts, read 538,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplelady View Post
I know the west side does not get much attention on this board ( as an observation from a neutral person who has never been to the area) and I wonder why. I have been looking at the areas of Fleetwoord Ave and Werkcastle, for example. Looks beautiful, solid for sure and well kept. I think these are within city limits.

There seems to be many small green space. Are these ravines ?
I'm a westsider. I grew up on Morningridge which Fleetwood crosses. Westwood was a great area in the 1980's but has declined rapidly since although the area around Epworth and Mercy High School are still fairly nice. The green space in Westwood, in particular around Fleetwood and Weskcastle have always been amazing. Huge trees everywhere, etc.. There are still some huge and nicely kept homes on Cyclorama. They actually built a few new subdivisions off Fleetwood and Cyclorama in the early 90's and I'm assuming those are still decent quality as well. I have to admit I will always have fond memories of living there as well but the surrounding area has declined big-time.

The area in the city limits where I think there is a ton of potential on the west-side is the Price Hill Incline district. I still think it has the best views of anywhere in the city. They've just opened a new restaurant there called the Public Incline House along with a new coffee shop and deli in close proximity. They are also planning on building some new condos in the area. I've heard from some higher ups in the city that is one area that is going to soon get a ton of focus from city leaders for revitalization. With it's views and easy access to downtown it's a place I'd keep an eye on.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
If you are not from the west side, you are not part of the "east-west is better game". The reason it seems so pronounced to you is because you are anchored on the west side, and west siders are obsessed with it. No one else cares.

It's like southerners obsessing over the confederacy. Except for the fact there was no legitimate historical division between east and west Cincy.
Actually from my experience of having grown up over here nobody on the west side cares about it either. It's the media that keeps the whole east-side west-side thing going.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Simply put the Westside is chugging long quite nicely. You have Price Hill Will that has spent millions rehabing old homes, The incline district may be a major sucess story in a few years,My neighborhood Knox Hill is heavy on restoration and working on National Registry, and there are two Westwood neighborhood groups and a Westwood historic society. In fact Westwood is agressively demoing many older aprtment complexes built in the 1950's and 60's. Covedales garden district is very nice, many of the Mansions on River Road (Riverside) are under restoration and Sedamsville applied for national registry. The westside, after a heavy influx of low income and section 8 after the riots, The mortgage crisis, and some misguided cuity demo policies, is now making a comeback. I spent most of my day showing a new project we are just starting to several prospective clients.

Architecturally all the very best architects in Cincinninati are well represented on the west side. Several Hannaford designed homes for example. There are many fine victorian homes and mansions that can be bought for a fraction of what the same house might cost in Hyde Park. There seems to be some "disdain" of the Westside from some in Cincinnati, It is more Catholic and one of the more conservative areas of town. Frankly I've never met nicer people.

The area has a number of ravines. My neighborhood Knox Hill sits on the top of the Hill between N&S Fairmount, There is a 19 acre nature park there too. And of course some of the best views of the skyline are from our area and Price Hill. We still have many of our street steps too.

I encourage you to take some time and look around, If you are not from Cincinnati you will like what you see because you are not part of that east-west is better game they play here.
X1000. I wish I had read your post before I posted. The Price Hill Incline District is about to take off in a big way in my opinion. Investment is going through the roof. The area around Holy Family Church has already been cleaned up in a big way. And with the views and proximity to downtown I think it's the hidden gem of the city.

Last edited by Montrell; 03-05-2013 at 12:37 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's the transplants that don't care. I've known plenty of natives from the east side who take pride in the fact that they've never been to the west side, or who look down their noses at what they consider west side "culture."
This. When I lived in Anderson Township for 3 years when I told people I was from the west-side they looked at me like I was a foreigner from a foreign land and bragged they've never been to that side of town. The whole east-west thing is way overblown having lived in both parts of town. I actually found that west-siders care less about the whole thing than the east-siders do.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
No it's not viewed as a west side neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati