U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:00 AM

294 posts, read 406,087 times

Advertisements

I know the west side does not get much attention on this board ( as an observation from a neutral person who has never been to the area) and I wonder why. I have been looking at the areas of Fleetwoord Ave and Werkcastle, for example. Looks beautiful, solid for sure and well kept. I think these are within city limits.

There seems to be many small green space. Are these ravines ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 10:32 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,013 times
Kinda wouldn't surprise me if westsiders had their own secret web forum they post on.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:17 PM

is it really that polarized or just a friendly rivalry ? Ah well, if Berlin can be reunited there is hope for the Queen city. Now about those green spaces... are they ravines ?

Old 03-03-2013, 01:35 PM

West siders seem to take the rivalry seriously, though no one else seems to AFAIK. They would argue it's because they get treated poorly. I would argue it's because of their non-participation in overall city matters. Which might be evidenced by their non-participation on this website! RestorationConsultant is a west side representative on the forum, though he is not originally from the area.

Some of the green spaces are probably hillsides. Some are ravines. I know there is a plan to daylight a former stream to fix a problem with combined sewer overflow, which is in a ravine along Queen City Boulevard. The stream was covered and made part of the sewer system many moons ago. The daylighting is controversial, as the plan includes demolishing many historic buildings. The combined sewer problem is very real, so if this solution isn't used, something else must be figured out.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:36 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,022,655 times
This topic is another road well traveled. Check out these threads:

Convince me to move to Westwood

Tell me about Westwood

Old 03-03-2013, 03:14 PM

682 posts, read 1,387,611 times
Simply put the Westside is chugging long quite nicely. You have Price Hill Will that has spent millions rehabing old homes, The incline district may be a major sucess story in a few years,My neighborhood Knox Hill is heavy on restoration and working on National Registry, and there are two Westwood neighborhood groups and a Westwood historic society. In fact Westwood is agressively demoing many older aprtment complexes built in the 1950's and 60's. Covedales garden district is very nice, many of the Mansions on River Road (Riverside) are under restoration and Sedamsville applied for national registry. The westside, after a heavy influx of low income and section 8 after the riots, The mortgage crisis, and some misguided cuity demo policies, is now making a comeback. I spent most of my day showing a new project we are just starting to several prospective clients.

Architecturally all the very best architects in Cincinninati are well represented on the west side. Several Hannaford designed homes for example. There are many fine victorian homes and mansions that can be bought for a fraction of what the same house might cost in Hyde Park. There seems to be some "disdain" of the Westside from some in Cincinnati, It is more Catholic and one of the more conservative areas of town. Frankly I've never met nicer people.

The area has a number of ravines. My neighborhood Knox Hill sits on the top of the Hill between N&S Fairmount, There is a 19 acre nature park there too. And of course some of the best views of the skyline are from our area and Price Hill. We still have many of our street steps too.

I encourage you to take some time and look around, If you are not from Cincinnati you will like what you see because you are not part of that east-west is better game they play here.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
If you are not from Cincinnati you will like what you see because you are not part of that east-west is better game they play here.
If you are not from the west side, you are not part of the "east-west is better game". The reason it seems so pronounced to you is because you are anchored on the west side, and west siders are obsessed with it. No one else cares.

It's like southerners obsessing over the confederacy. Except for the fact there was no legitimate historical division between east and west Cincy.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:43 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,652,150 times
The east side is better. We don't want their west side ways here.

Cleveland is very much like Cincinnati in its east-west split. In fact, it might be even more pronounced.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:44 PM

31,152 posts, read 57,274,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
No one else cares.
It's the transplants that don't care. I've known plenty of natives from the east side who take pride in the fact that they've never been to the west side, or who look down their noses at what they consider west side "culture."

Old 03-03-2013, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the great info everyone. Restoration Consultant, what is the name of the neighbourhhood where the Fleetwood and Werkcastle houses are located ? There is one set back, not visble from the street, with a large property.

I will be doing more exploring here. Toronto has ravines, too but not the hills like Cincy. I had no idea about the hills until I began exploring , etc but there are more than 7. I had to smile when some one on a post did not know the seven hills reference was from Rome originally.

I know the east /west side thing exists in Cleveland , too, but it goes have a geographical division as well as the cultural ...plus downtown is in the middle.
It amazes me that people say they have never been to the other side of their own city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati