U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,952 times

Advertisements

Would Kilgore be an option for those living in Columbia Tusculum? I'm thinking about building a house there right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 AM

405 posts, read 653,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhYah83 View Post
Would Kilgore be an option for those living in Columbia Tusculum? I'm thinking about building a house there right now.
No, Kilgour is a neighborhood school and you have to live within it's attendance boundaries to attend. Mt.lookout and E.Hyde Park (roughly) are zoned to the Kilgour. You can apply/wait in line to maybe get a slot in one of the east side elementary magnets which include North Avondale and Sands Montessori schools and Fairview German and a couple of others of lesser reknown.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:42 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,416,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
No, Kilgour is a neighborhood school and you have to live within it's attendance boundaries to attend. Mt.lookout and E.Hyde Park (roughly) are zoned to the Kilgour. You can apply/wait in line to maybe get a slot in one of the east side elementary magnets which include North Avondale and Sands Montessori schools and Fairview German and a couple of others of lesser reknown.
I thought CPS had adopted an open enrollment policy. That seems to be the thing to do today. I think I read where 64% of the school districts in Ohio currently have an open enrollment policy. That means you can be students from outside the district and apply for enrollment. I would believe if students from outside the district can apply for enrollment, does that not mean students from within a large district such as CPS can apply to a different school from their designated neighborhood school? Otherwise the open enrollment seems to be a sham.

In addition, I have trouble figuring out the transporation cost policy. Are open enrollment policy students covered for transportation or not?

I can understand a district like Mason where I live. They also have an open enrollment policy. But if a student from say Lakota decides they want to enroll at Mason I would believe transportation is their problem, as Mason owns and operates their own school buses. Obviously they are not going to operate a bus to pick up a Lakota district student, and since public bus transportation is virtually non-existent what other options are there? Maybe that is why we don't have many Lakota or Kings students enrolling at Mason or vice versa.

I believe I read where open enrollment students from outside of CPS are responsible for their own transportation. If so, that is a large hurdle unless you are applying from say Norwood. How about open enrollment students from within CPS? I keep reading about magnetic schools, and other alternatives. But how about transportation, both cost and time/distance? That can have quite an effect on a family's life.

I walked to school from the 1st through the 12th grade at Madeira. I had classmates in my neighborhood whom we would meet up and walked together all 12 years. It was a pleasant experience. On the walk home we would go into the local drugstore which had a soda fountain back then and order a phosphate (look it up).

When we moved to Mason our kids took the school bus. Very easy to deal with, and quite reliable.

So having grown up in an environment where we went to the local schools, and our kids went to the local schools, and their kids are going to the local schools, I question the effect of the alternatives in CPS education on family life. And I am not only questioning CPS, but any other large districts struggling with the costs of transportation and adequate education.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:54 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,844,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
No, Kilgour is a neighborhood school and you have to live within it's attendance boundaries to attend.
Wrong. CPS adopted an open enrollment policy, so if in district kids don't fill up a particular school all are welcome. Even before that, kids from other neighborhoods could attend another neighborhood school, providing the neighborhood didn't fill it up first.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I believe I read where open enrollment students from outside of CPS are responsible for their own transportation. If so, that is a large hurdle unless you are applying from say Norwood. How about open enrollment students from within CPS? I keep reading about magnetic schools, and other alternatives. But how about transportation, both cost and time/distance? That can have quite an effect on a family's life.
Egads Brill. Parents can buy older kids a bus pass and take the metro, just like scores of kids already do. Obviously, smaller out of district kids parents would shoulder their responsibility to get their kids to school. Just like I do being less than a mile from school. The instituted open enrollment to stay competitive with other local districts who offer open enrollment. It takes a large financial burden off of families who otherwise would pay tuition to send their kids to CPS from out of district. You do understand that there are suburban parents who choose CPS? No?

Old 05-24-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Egads Brill. Parents can buy older kids a bus pass and take the metro, just like scores of kids already do. Obviously, smaller out of district kids parents would shoulder their responsibility to get their kids to school. Just like I do being less than a mile from school. The instituted open enrollment to stay competitive with other local districts who offer open enrollment. It takes a large financial burden off of families who otherwise would pay tuition to send their kids to CPS from out of district. You do understand that there are suburban parents who choose CPS? No?
NO!!! I don't! Do you have some stats on that?

Old 05-24-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
NO!!! I don't! Do you have some stats on that?
Why do I need stats when I am involved in CPS and there out of district kids in my child's kindergarten class. And what about out of district kids who believe in the Montessori style of education and choose one of several excellent Montessori schools in CPS. You are truly clueless in endless tirades against CPS.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Why do I need stats when I am involved in CPS and there out of district kids in my child's kindergarten class. And what about out of district kids who believe in the Montessori style of education and choose one of several excellent Montessori schools in CPS. You are truly clueless in endless tirades against CPS.
You can claim all the tirades you want. I do not have tirades against CPS, only simple questions as to how the average parent in the CPS district is getting a good education for their child. Face it, your child is in a specialized school, just look at the name! Are you claiming this is a common and ordinary school for the average student and reflective of the CPS district as a whole? Don't claim I introduce racial undertones when these special schools are nothing but.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
You can claim all the tirades you want. I do not have tirades against CPS, only simple questions as to how the average parent in the CPS district is getting a good education for their child. Face it, your child is in a specialized school, just look at the name! Are you claiming this is a common and ordinary school for the average student and reflective of the CPS district as a whole? Don't claim I introduce racial undertones when these special schools are nothing but.
Whoa! You just pulled your favorite logic fallacy - moving the goal posts. Get back on topic. Maybe you forgot?

Open enrollment, out of district kids attending CPS.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:45 PM

405 posts, read 653,729 times
Quote:
Whoa! You just pulled your favorite logic fallacy - moving the goal posts. Get back on topic. Maybe you forgot?

Open enrollment, out of district kids attending CPS.

CPS open enrollment only means that any OPEN seats can be filled by out of district students. Kilgour is overcrowded, there will be no open seats; all of the elementary magnets run to waitlists, there will be no open seats; Walnut is a district magnet, (I can't imagine they have a ton of un-used capacity but) maybe a few open seats. I can maybe see a few open seats being in SCPA and HPE until those elementary programs are fully ramped up.

Per the FAQ each year CPS is going to provide a list of schools and grades that have open seats (I imagine there will be overlap between the voucher-eligible underperformers and the "open seats"). They are essentially trading off the few tuition paying Walnut/SCPA seats in an attempt to up the head count district wide and get more $$ from the state. So kids from St.Bernard, Norwood, Forest Park, etc. will fill the empty seats whatever CPS elementary offering is marginally better (or closer to mom's/dad's work) than what is offered in their home district.

However, if you live in Norwood (say) it doesn't mean that just because you went all the way to 6th grade in Silverton you will get a seat at Walnut (even if you pass the test,) because you are still out of district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati