Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,229,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yea, I can just see you living in the City and commuting to Oxford. You admittedly disdain our own suburbs and then say commute daily to Oxford? Oh, I understand the difference, living in the City and beating your brains out commuting to work in Oxford is OK as that makes you an urbanist? But the other way around is stupid and a resource consumptionist?
Brill. I used to reverse commute two hours one way to get to Connecticut when I lived in Queens. At times I used my boss' work van and at times I took the train. You try to label me an urbanist, but I really don't know what that is. I have never gone to bat as someone promoting green living, here or elsewhere.

Save your goofy rants for someone else, and get back to helping the OP. Or can you get past your own opinion long enough to actually do that and respect what they want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I think he has a point, though. Someone who is not from Cincinnati might not know how inaccessible Oxford is from Cincinnati.
I just don't think it's necessary to insult the OP's intelligence by assuming they don't know what they are getting in to and coming to their aid to talk them into something they didn't ask for. Just tell them what they want to know and move on.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:42 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,907,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I just don't think it's necessary to insult the OP's intelligence by assuming they don't know what they are getting in to and coming to their aid to talk them into something they didn't ask for. Just tell them what they want to know and move on.
Agreed. Do people actually go into threads about Mason and tell them how they should reduce their carbon footprint by moving to a walkable area instead? If so, I haven't seen it.

If I were working in Oxford, I wouldn't live in Cincinnati. But that's me, not OP.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,788,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Fine, but when you recommend those condos in the City, give them an honest appraisal of what the commute time to Oxford will be. I am only trying to warn them it can be far longer than the mileage alone suggests. They may feel it is hunkydory and that is just fine, but after a few times in a traffic jam on I-275 or I-75 in between they may decide sleepy Oxford was not that bad afterall.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Fine, but when you recommend those condos in the City, give them an honest appraisal of what the commute time to Oxford will be.
I will not. They didn't ask for that and I am assuming they are intelligent enough to know.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,907,478 times
Quote:
Fine, but when you recommend those condos in the City, give them an honest appraisal of what the commute time to Oxford will be. I am only trying to warn them it can be far longer than the mileage alone suggests. They may feel it is hunkydory and that is just fine, but after a few times in a traffic jam on I-275 or I-75 in between they may decide sleepy Oxford was not that bad afterall.
Because we can't assume someone hired by Miami University, with a salary big enough to afford a condo in the city, understands that cities generate traffic. Gotcha.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,925 times
Thanks everyone!

A few additional info.

- I am aware of the commute but thanks for pointing that out
- I am familiar with cincinnati but i have not fully explored the neighborhoods. Like every other city, I am sure there are pockets of town with different themes like yeppie, hippie, young, family, etc. I am at the intersection: yeppie (in that I am career minded), hippie (in that i am utterly liberal), young (in that i am single male - just hit 30s). Ideally, I want to be in that sort of neighborhood. I have been to Melts on the Northside and I drove around that area but I saw no modern condo/townhouse except one nice rental complex. But the people in the area (while I was there) seem really nice. I liked the atmosphere a lot!

Also, I googled for neighborhood maps of cincinnati. This is the best I could get but I could not find some of the places mentioned above.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Cincinnati.jpg

Thanks again!!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias101 View Post
Thanks everyone!

A few additional info.

- I am aware of the commute but thanks for pointing that out
- I am familiar with cincinnati but i have not fully explored the neighborhoods. Like every other city, I am sure there are pockets of town with different themes like yeppie, hippie, young, family, etc. I am at the intersection: yeppie (in that I am career minded), hippie (in that i am utterly liberal), young (in that i am single male - just hit 30s). Ideally, I want to be in that sort of neighborhood. I have been to Melts on the Northside and I drove around that area but I saw no modern condo/townhouse except one nice rental complex. But the people in the area (while I was there) seem really nice. I liked the atmosphere a lot!

Also, I googled for neighborhood maps of cincinnati. This is the best I could get but I could not find some of the places mentioned above.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Cincinnati.jpg

Thanks again!!
Again, Prospect Hill or OTR. Housing can be tough to find as there is only a 4% vacancy rate in OTR at the moment. Prospect Hill is a tight knit neighborhood. And if you want to get to know the neighborhood goto Milton's when you are in town.

http://www.miltonstavern.com/

Old 03-05-2013, 07:54 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,541,522 times
Check these out in Walnut Hills:
http://www.sibcycline.com/viewlistin...Hills-OH-45206

927 Auburnview Dr Cincinnati OH 45206 Listing Details: Sibcy Cline Realtors® Cincinnati Real Estate

Most are within steps of Eden Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati