U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,366 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I got a job in Oxford and I want to buy a condo/house in cincinnati. (Oxford is too small of a town with very little restaurants and culture.) I was trying to minimize my commute but the neighborhoods on (and near) Colerain Ave are not appealing at all. I looked into Mt Adams but it is darn expensive. 2 br condos go for $1m. Where else should I be looking into?

- budget is around $350K, 2br/1 bath
- condo/townhouse only
- restaurants at a walking distance, no chains
- some view (outside living is important)
- nearby park (if possible)

Thanks everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 11:58 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,521,113 times
Northside.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:16 AM

6 posts, read 6,362 times
There are quite a few nice condos, especially for that price, in downtown and OTR. If by outside living you mean a balcony or patio, your options get a little more limited when you are looking in the CBD. I know the McAlpin Building on W Fourth has some units with balconies, but they are in the back alley. The ones along fourth open up to fourth, but they're Juliet style. Parker Flats on W Fourth is all 2 bd/2 ba and each unit there has a balcony. I have not looked at either in a while since I own now, but they are for sale occasionally. Also, there are some really neat places on Walnut and Main that go up for sale from time to time with balconies. A lot of the OTR condos have some. Northside has some nice places too but I have only visited a couple and did not look there when I was condo shopping, so I cannot really say much about them. It is a neat area.

A big thing for me when I was looking was a balcony and secure parking. I get frustrated with my 15 minute commute sometimes, so driving to Oxford would definitely get to me after a while. Good luck!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,025,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias101 View Post
Hi,

I got a job in Oxford and I want to buy a condo/house in cincinnati. (Oxford is too small of a town with very little restaurants and culture.) I was trying to minimize my commute but the neighborhoods on (and near) Colerain Ave are not appealing at all. I looked into Mt Adams but it is darn expensive. 2 br condos go for $1m. Where else should I be looking into?

- budget is around $350K, 2br/1 bath
- condo/townhouse only
- restaurants at a walking distance, no chains
- some view (outside living is important)
- nearby park (if possible)

Thanks everyone!!
If you are looking at Mt. Adams and like being near the park ( Eden Park in this case, one of Cincinnati's largest and most beautiful ), then in my opinion, it would be a no brainer for you to look on the other side of the park from Mt Adams in Walnut Hills. There are many condos in that area on streets like Sinton, Bella Vista, Fulton, Alpine, St. James, Gilbert, Volterra (although those might be sold out), The Verona on Park Avenue. You'll find everything from historic buildings to brand new construction. You'll find every price point, from the low $100s to seven figures. This area is really a hidden gem of Cincinnati. Affordable, safe, great access to downtown, I-71, east side amenities, parks, etc etc. You might be a little lean on restaurants, although there are definitely options, such as Andy's Mediterranean Grill, and upscale Italian eatery in the Overlook (that I can't remember the name of), and the new-ownership Brew Haus on McMillan. I think there is more to come is this area. Plus, I know people who walk from Walnut Hills through Eden Park to Mt Adams, to get a little exercise and enjoy lunch or a beverage in the little neighborhood on the hill.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
OP...

If you have a desire to live in downtown Cincinnati and commute to Oxford you have a much stronger constitution than I have. From where I live in Mason, cutting across through Hamilton and back roads Oxford is still right around an hour. My friends and I do that about twice a season as there is a very nice golf course in the Ohio Hueston Woods State Park adjacent to Oxford. And we are going in the middle of the day, after rush hour. It is just far enough that while we enjoy the golf course the trip is only occasionally worth it. To do it on a daily basis through all kinds of weather - Good Luck.

You are the 2nd person in recent weeks to say they have a job in Oxford but don't want to live there as it is too primative. The first question in my mind is then why did you accept a job there? It is probably my midwestern upbringing, but I find Oxford to be a lovely college town. Obviously there are establishments around town frequented by students and others frequented by faculty, shouldn't be too hard to determine which is which.

Then comes the remarks the town is unsophisticated. Miami is regarded as having one of the best business colleges around, particularly their Masters program. So are you telling me they maintain that with a faculty lacking in sophistication? And since the faculty has a few brains, I believe the majority of them live in the area.

I frankly admit I am a strong advocate of living close to where you work, and eliminating as many hassles from your life as possible, commute time and costs, vehicle mileage and costs, etc. I spent 25 years with a commute which grew up to 40 minutes, and then another 20 with 5 turns out of my driveway in 5 mins. and I was at the office. Guess which 20 I enjoyed the most?

I have absolutely no problem with living in the City, but I then say work in the City. I have the same feelings for the suburbs, work in the suburbs then live in the suburbs. Work in Oxford I strongly advise live in Oxford. OK, I will get off my soapbox now.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,832,929 times
Ignore Brill - he has comprehension problems when his opinions get in the way.

For you, I would say Prospect Hill or OTR. Both have offerings that suit your price range, however, Prospect Hill (on Boal and Milton) has condos available that offer city views and you have an easy walk to OTR for restaurants and such. Prospect Hill can be hard to get into, so start your search early.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 AM

682 posts, read 1,389,021 times
Walnut Hills is good, so is Prospect Hill, you 'might' want to look at Price Hill incline for comparison. Just I thought. If you are patient you might find something in Mt Adams. I've seen a few forclosures hit the market over there, they usually get snapped up in a few days after listing. If you'd really like to be in Mt Adams find yourself a good downtown realtor and have them sat up a parameters search and they can email you the minute things are listed but you have to be ready to jump. Get prequalified.

The main thing you need to pay attention to is taxes. The unit will likely be assessed at its last sale rate and you may need to file a tax appeal.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post

For you, I would say Prospect Hill or OTR. Both have offerings that suit your price range, however, Prospect Hill (on Boal and Milton) has condos available that offer city views and you have an easy walk to OTR for restaurants and such. Prospect Hill can be hard to get into, so start your search early.
Yea, I can just see you living in the City and commuting to Oxford. You admittedly disdain our own suburbs and then say commute daily to Oxford? Oh, I understand the difference, living in the City and beating your brains out commuting to work in Oxford is OK as that makes you an urbanist? But the other way around is stupid and a resource consumptionist?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,956,094 times
Well, FWIW it sounds as if this poster--unlike the other recent individual--has tried Oxford and already found it to be a place they don't want to live. So given what they said they want, they're opting for a lengthy commute regardless of where in Cincinnati's urban neighborhoods they live. Agree that Northside would be the quickest commute to work of all the areas mentioned but not sure about townhouse/apartment type condo availability. Probably need a realtor's help on that one.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 AM

2,509 posts, read 3,357,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post

I think he has a point, though. Someone who is not from Cincinnati might not know how inaccessible Oxford is from Cincinnati. I cannot comprehend sitting in a car for 2-3 hours every day for the 'convenience' of restaurants in walking distance of my house. I don't know what the OP's job is at Miami, but if it is being an assistant professor, living in Cincinnati would be a horrible mistake in my opinion. A pre-tenure academic needs at least 12 working hours per day, as well as the flexibility to come and go from campus at a moment's notice. If the OP is working part time or has the ability to work from home several days a week, Cincinnati makes a lot more sense.

I had a colleague at UC whose spouse was on the faculty at Miami. For reasons similar to the OP, they lived in Clifton. Commuting to Oxford was completely unworkable for them. Eventually they settled on dual residences which had consequences for their marriage as well as careers. I think that there is a perception that Oxford is an accessible suburb of Cincinnati; like Mason, Amelia, or Harrison while in fact it is more similar in commute time to downtown Dayton, Georgetown Ky, or Xenia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati