U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:43 PM

213 posts, read 540,217 times

Advertisements

With some of the best views in the city and its easy access and close proximity to downtown I'm surprised it hasn't received more attention.

They just opened a very nice restaurant in the area called the Public Incline House, along with a new coffee shop and deli.

Hopefully a few out here are somewhat familiar with the area. Has anyone else heard they are planning on adding a number of retail shops and restaurants near the new condos that have gone up near Matson and Prima Vista?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 PM

682 posts, read 1,390,075 times
The biggest issue I see with Incline is developers are afraid to "Think Big", the condos are, in my opinion, cheap looking and new housing construction needs to be more Mt Adams architect designed and less entry level.

I know there are many people restoring over there too and there are some competing interests going on between those who want affordable "rehabbed" housing like Price Hill Will and those who believe the area can be much more upscale. Plus the city which just wants to bulldoze everything in the name of blight abatement and start over.

To me , the smart money is that when enough people realize they can get great views for a fraction of the price, with easy accessibility to downtown, many more people will be looking at the west side of the valley with different eyes Prices will do eth same as Mt Adams (through the roof) . While I am working in my own neighborhood, I've recommended people really start looking at Incline area and snap up a house while they can.

For that matter lower Price Hill has "bargain basement" fixer townhouses for 5-10K that would cost you 50-75K in OTR and there are some great larger homes on state street overlooking the valley that are dirt cheap if you are willing to renovate.

Its really all about people's general lack of vision and assuming a neighborhood has to stay the way its always been.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 PM

800 posts, read 698,939 times
The new development is hideous. Perhaps the restaurant itself is nice, but the condos certainly look extremely cheap and the restaurant itself is oriented so that the windowless kitchen faces the parking lot. I'm assuming that they must keep all of their garbage indoors since I didn't see a dumpster anywhere.

I don't know what could ever spur this area to develop intensely because the views aren't as good as Mt. Adams and it's farther from downtown and surrounded by bad areas. There's not a good business district to walk to. Bus service is better than Mt. Adams, but there is little chance that we'll see any big-time improvement to public transportation like a subway line with a station somewhere near Holy Family church.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:14 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,739,263 times
disagree about the views. i like the incline district views better than mount adams. there is more context.

mt adams of course isn't about the views per se. it is an isolated walkable enclave right next to downtown.

for the incline district, you can attract people with the views but if you don't have a community you don't have anything.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:03 AM

As I understand it the 'idea' is to build a business district with retail. Of course you bulldozed a viable neighborhood to do it. But you the incline district includes parts of riverside too. Its just not Price Hill.

Personally they should have established a 3-4 story maximum, did "view review" for new construction. Less large construction, more neighborhood focus contruction. I suspect we will have lower Knox Hill and the overlook district done before Incline gets completely done, But then we are just working on a real neighborhood. Not a 'concept'.

As for "bad areas", they do not have to stay that way. That of course is the point of the Incline development.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:21 AM

477 posts, read 530,849 times
Remember that this is all good old Cranley's vision for what Cincinnati should be like - All the more reason to vote against him.

I'm still baffled that such immensely low standards are applied to Cincinnati infill, with its superb historic architecture its even more jarring! I've even seen better infill in Columbus!

Not only that but there is such a pervasive anti-urban attitude that rarely do people even consider the fact that Cincinnati is probably on the verge of the back to the city movement and pushes should be made to meet that demand through a better product.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
The new development is hideous. Perhaps the restaurant itself is nice, but the condos certainly look extremely cheap and the restaurant itself is oriented so that the windowless kitchen faces the parking lot. I'm assuming that they must keep all of their garbage indoors since I didn't see a dumpster anywhere.

I don't know what could ever spur this area to develop intensely because the views aren't as good as Mt. Adams and it's farther from downtown and surrounded by bad areas. There's not a good business district to walk to. Bus service is better than Mt. Adams, but there is little chance that we'll see any big-time improvement to public transportation like a subway line with a station somewhere near Holy Family church.
I agree that the condos aren't overly impressive but its an improvement from what was there. A city leader told me that a plan was in place to bring in a number of retail outlets in the near future to that area. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if that ever happens.

Does anyone know who the investor is who has been buying up a lot of property on Price Avenue? And what their plans to do with that property may be? The area around Holy Family Church has improved in recent years to some extent and believe it or not they are one of the few catholic grade schools out there who has increasing enrollment.

Not to take this off topic but do you think Elder possibly relocating their school further west into the county would have more of a negative impact on Price Hill or would it make no difference one way or another?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
As I understand it the 'idea' is to build a business district with retail. Of course you bulldozed a viable neighborhood to do it. But you the incline district includes parts of riverside too. Its just not Price Hill.

Personally they should have established a 3-4 story maximum, did "view review" for new construction. Less large construction, more neighborhood focus contruction. I suspect we will have lower Knox Hill and the overlook district done before Incline gets completely done, But then we are just working on a real neighborhood. Not a 'concept'.

As for "bad areas", they do not have to stay that way. That of course is the point of the Incline development.
I'd also like to see more neighborhood construction / improvement than just a business district with retail, but I guess you have to start somewhere and then start branching out into the overall neighborhood. I think the long term vision, at least as I understood it is to do both but start with the retail.

Have they done a lot of development in the Knox Hill area? I havent been that way in years. Isn't that somewhere between Harrison Avenue and Baltimore Avenue? It is close to St Leo's Church?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
disagree about the views. i like the incline district views better than mount adams. there is more context.

mt adams of course isn't about the views per se. it is an isolated walkable enclave right next to downtown.

for the incline district, you can attract people with the views but if you don't have a community you don't have anything.
I think the views are absolutely great from the incline district as well. I wasn't trying to say they were necessarily better than Mount Adams, but they are very nice and completely different than what you get with Mount Adams.

Totally agree about the communicty aspect. That is the key going forward.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Have they done a lot of development in the Knox Hill area? I havent been that way in years. Isn't that somewhere between Harrison Avenue and Baltimore Avenue? It is close to St Leo's Church?
We are working on it. Since the neighborhood group was set up in 2009 we have stopped the tide of illegal apartment conversions, been able to get the city to take a "hands off" on demos for a while. Two properties are in the Save not Raze project which saves historic eligible properties from certain demo, stabilizes the outside and then resells it as single family with protective covenants with more homes in the pipeline.

We did get rid of Irish Cliffs apartments at Harrison and Fairmount. In 2012 there was a home tour in the 1800 block of Knox that featured 3 under restoration homes and there were two historic walking tours of the neighborhood. We start a new community Garden project this April. Several vacant lots have been acquired for infill development. Roosevelt school reopened as a charter school. Covington Recycle (in one of the Lunkenheiner buildings) is bringing in artists and photographers to the building, who will have shared photo lab space. The Overlook district plan (which is the general area of Lunkenheimer Complex on Bloom , Knox, and Wavery) is beyond initial planning with the Overlook House project a new urbanist style luxury home conversion (350K sales price) and the Bloom Street Townhomes was just announced which will result in two redone townhomes in the 175-185K range. People are starting to move back in and restore too. Most importantly crime is down (maybe 2-3 calls Total a month). I just had a meeting with District 3 to show them our progress and they have been doing a great job patrolling the area. City has been cutting back the undergrowth on Knox and Waverly too.

Still problems with illegal dumping and we are still working our way out of the foreclosure crisis but the neighborhood is headed back up. We will have a second Home tour this September.

I feel like the city is at least paying some attention to the area now (as we all know they pretty much wrote it off). its also hard to ignore a group that files federal HUD complaints and isn't afraid of city hall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati