Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,616 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Cincy and would like info from parents in the West Clermont school district. I have read that they have not passed a levy recently and are (have been) making cuts. What things are being cut? We have two kids (9th grade and 6th grade). Both are in advanced classes and I want to make sure they still have those opportunities when we move. 6th grader is taking pre-alg, and would be taking Algebra in 7th grade/ Geometry in 8th in our current school district, as well as Spanish in middle school. Are these options available? What kind of AP courses are available in high school, and is there a discernable difference between Amelia and Glen Este (both MS and HS)? We have been focusing our search in Anderson because I am confident in the school system, but we think we might like a much larger lot than you can easily find in Anderson Twp. Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 06:47 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Even the best school districts in Cincinnati have been having trouble with their recent levies. There is no reason to single one out as they are all having difficulties. The economic times are not good. Contact the specific school district concerning the AP classes you are interested in. Will they be carried forward or be a casualty of cutbacks? The district I live in is making additional cuts to avoid putting a levy on the ballot this year as I think they already know it is a NO.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,424 times
Are Indian Hill, Mariemont, Madeira, or Wyoming having difficulties passing levies? Those are the best school districts in the area, and I haven't heard of them not supporting their schools.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Are Indian Hill, Mariemont, Madeira, or Wyoming having difficulties passing levies? Those are the best school districts in the area, and I haven't heard of them not supporting their schools.
I have not heard of any levy failures in these districts, but I also have not heard of many new levies there. They are relatively small school districts. Indian Hill is a large area, but a large percentage of students there go to private schools. Also, all of these districts are rather mature, not growing. I suspect Madeira is likely losing student population as the area ages. Perhaps the same for Mariemont. This stable condition helps them maintain what they have. People will vote for levy renewals rather consistently, what is death at the present time is new levies.

The districts having the most problems are those with explosive growth requiring new construction, additional teachers, etc. year after year. Good examples of these are Lakota (West Chester & Liberty Townships) and Mason. They both have achieved high rankings due to the support the people have given them. But in the current economic climate the attitude is obviously no more, live with what you have. I live in Mason and am therefore most familiar with the manuvering they are doing to not have to put a new levy on the ballot, which I believe they know will fail.

Other districts running into problems are such as Mt Healthy where average family income within the district is falling. Trying to pass a new operating levy there to increase teacher salaries is falling on deaf ears. I can't find a job and you want a raise?

Look at taxes overall. Madeira over the years has done a terrific job of conserving expenditures. But some items can present a problem. Trash collection contracts limiting you to one weekly container at the curb (plus a recycleable container). I grew up in Madeira and thus have an affection for it. But if you analyze the situation, property taxes overall in Madeira are high! And guess what, it is due to the schools. The city itself is very frugal, actually a tightwad.

And I may challenge the assertation that Indian Hill, Madeira, Mariemont, and Wyoming are the best school districts in the area. They are good, and that I will not deny, but the best? I think you may have overlooked a little district called Sycamore.They have been around a few years and hopefully will be for a few more.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 AM

I was using US News & Worlds Reports Ohio high school rankings as a proxy for quality of district:
Search Ohio High Schools | US News

Madeira is the lowest of those I listed at #15 and Sycamore comes in at #19.

It's no secret Walnut Hills (#1), Indian Hill (#3), and Wyoming (#4) consistently rank the best in the region. I guess Sycamore falls into that second tier with Mariemont (#14) and Madeira (#15).

Old 02-22-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I was using US News & Worlds Reports Ohio high school rankings as a proxy for quality of district:
Search Ohio High Schools | US News

Madeira is the lowest of those I listed at #15 and Sycamore comes in at #19.

It's no secret Walnut Hills (#1), Indian Hill (#3), and Wyoming (#4) consistently rank the best in the region. I guess Sycamore falls into that second tier with Mariemont (#14) and Madeira (#15).
Yes, and why do you consider US News & Worlds Reports as such an authoritative figure? I would rather accept our own Ohio State evaluation statistics as being more reliable. US News & World Reports is a media outlet, hoping to not go the direction of Newsweek. It is obvious most media outlets can produce nice charts and graphs, that is a given. But they should also have to state where the source data for their presentation originates from. Otherwise I could just as well get on there and make some nice pictures.

Last edited by kjbrill; 02-22-2013 at 09:51 AM..

Old 02-22-2013, 12:30 PM

Well show me the state data. I went ahead and linked and provided analysis, so you do the same.

I've never heard of Sycamore topping Indian Hill or Wyoming.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Well show me the state data. I went ahead and linked and provided analysis, so you do the same.

Never said Sycamore topped Indian Hill or Wyoming. But they certainly can walk right with them. And since they are actually the larger district they may offer a better choice of AP or special ed classes. I have yet to meet anyone with students in the Sycamore district who was unhappy with their student's progress. Let's just say I would rather rely on personal contact rather than some who knows what rating agency, particularly a mass media outlet.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:20 AM

73 posts, read 89,864 times
Default West Clermont

I would not move into the West Clermont School District. First, too cheapo to provide bus service for high school students. Yes, we pay a fortune in property taxes. Second, the reason that the district is having money issues is they wasted a ton of money on new school buildings. They were told it was too expensive, they did it, anyway. Third, they are always crying for money. Many in the district feel that you owe them a living or the taxpayer who has to pay for heart medication should pay for their sports team, get a part-time job. Fourth, the administration does not live in reality. My special-needs stepdaughter is being pushed to take honors courses in Biology, Chemistry, and Geometry. My stepdaughter is slower than my Uncle who works in a special-needs workshop and she cannot even spell those courses. YET, the people in the school administration have been told that this is not reality for her and they keep pushing, how stupid. My Dad(Chemist) was working with her on 8th grade Algebra and my Dad taught Chemistry, Physics, and Advanced Mathematics at the Catholic high school level and was Director of Admissions, along with teaching all levels of students. "She is clueless" said my Dad after working with her for a couple of hours.

My nephew is an honors student at Moeller High School and has the math skills to be an engineer. Still, he has to work very hard to keep up with a full honors courseload. If that is true, what is going to happen to my special needs stepdaughter, what idiots.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 PM

254 posts, read 983,128 times
Quote:

I have to disagree as well, depending on the publication, Sycamore is ranked number 1 in the city.

Best Schools & Communities | New Articles | Advertise | Cincy - The Magazine for Business Professionals

I also did some digging on other stats

ACT average
1. sycamore
2.mariemont
3. walnut hills
4. madeira
5.wyoming

SAT average
1.Indian Hill
2. sycamore
3. mason
4. mariemont

Number of national merit semifinalists 2012
Sycamore 17, Walnut Hills 22, but Walnut Hills is so much larger than sycamore, so as a percentage of the student population, Sycamore tops all schools.

As a parent, I can say that it is HARD to beat the parental involvement than what occurs at Sycamore, (sometimes too much parental involvement, but thats another thread..lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati