U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Beavercreek, OH
2,194 posts, read 3,014,610 times
Reputation: 2334

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
What do you mean not supporting? If people don't park because of high prices. The company will lower the price. That's universal. They are limited to increase the rates .25 cents every 3 years. If that breaks your bank you should not even be driving at all.
Hi unusualfire--

If you think the company will be that accountable to the city then you're dreaming.

I guarantee you'll start getting complaints almost immediately when parking prices rise - not from ordinary people who will just vote with their feet and shop in the suburbs, but rather business owners in the city who are losing business because parking is prohibitively expensive.

As far as raising the rates 25 cents every three years, by what measurement of time are we talking? 25 cents per hour, 25 cents per half hour, or some other measurement?

I remember going to watch the Hamilton County court of common pleas one morning and over the next three hours I emptied a whole roll of quarters into a street meter because all the nearby parking lots were already filled up. I've been much more selective ever since about my visits to that courthouse despite the rapport I've established with the judges there.

I would hate to see what happens if the parking gets privatized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 PM
 
1,295 posts, read 1,520,060 times
Reputation: 687
I'm skeptical of the plan, but rising rates is not obviously a problem. If people stop coming to a neighborhood, the rates will necessarily come back down. People coming and parking is necessary for a rate increase to work as intended, and if people are coming and parking, it's only a problem for the biggest cheapskates, who are not going to be spending much at the nearby businesses anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
 
307 posts, read 441,032 times
Reputation: 98
So what happened to the cry of Govt. can't do anything right, let a private company do it and the market decide the price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati(Silverton)
1,576 posts, read 2,303,702 times
Reputation: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi unusualfire--

If you think the company will be that accountable to the city then you're dreaming.

I guarantee you'll start getting complaints almost immediately when parking prices rise - not from ordinary people who will just vote with their feet and shop in the suburbs, but rather business owners in the city who are losing business because parking is prohibitively expensive.

As far as raising the rates 25 cents every three years, by what measurement of time are we talking? 25 cents per hour, 25 cents per half hour, or some other measurement?

I remember going to watch the Hamilton County court of common pleas one morning and over the next three hours I emptied a whole roll of quarters into a street meter because all the nearby parking lots were already filled up. I've been much more selective ever since about my visits to that courthouse despite the rapport I've established with the judges there.

I would hate to see what happens if the parking gets privatized.
Why are you commenting on a deal you know nothing about or didn't read?

It's clearly $25 cents an hour.
Schedule 5
http://library.constantcontact.com/d...e-Contract.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Cincy
252 posts, read 860,317 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
I'm skeptical of the plan, but rising rates is not obviously a problem. If people stop coming to a neighborhood, the rates will necessarily come back down. People coming and parking is necessary for a rate increase to work as intended, and if people are coming and parking, it's only a problem for the biggest cheapskates, who are not going to be spending much at the nearby businesses anyway.
Sorry, I dont for one minute think that rates will ever go down, they will always increase, just like every other city that has privatized parking(indy, chicago, dc, et al)

Its not only meters that are affected, its the lots and garages as well. I am sure the city will get its lump sum payment, and they will still have budget shortfalls, because we dont have good management/leadership in cincinnati, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 02:19 PM
 
1,295 posts, read 1,520,060 times
Reputation: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincylifer View Post
Sorry, I dont for one minute think that rates will ever go down, they will always increase, just like every other city that has privatized parking(indy, chicago, dc, et al)

Its not only meters that are affected, its the lots and garages as well. I am sure the city will get its lump sum payment, and they will still have budget shortfalls, because we dont have good management/leadership in cincinnati, in my opinion.
So you should be happy that the "bad management" is being replaced by private management, right?

And private corporations have a profit motive, such that if their product is not profitable, the price will go down. If the price never goes down, that means people are using the parking meters, which means businesses are not hurting. What part of supply and demand do you not understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 02:57 PM
 
2,492 posts, read 3,654,578 times
Reputation: 1385
The price of everything rises. Name something that's stayed the same. Heck, the quality of the Cincinnati Enquirer has gone way down the past decade but the price has gone from 35 cents to its current $1.00. Parking meter rates are no different.

Also, I'm certain that technology will be installed in the meters to allow you to pay remotely from your cell. You'd get a text with 10 minutes to go telling you your meter is about to expire. You can act accordingly after that. Taking a roll of quarters with you downtown to feed meters every 45 minutes is a completely archaic and unnecessary thing to do. It would be like taking a roll of quarters to Kroger to pay for a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread.

If you're making a quick stop somewhere, pop in a couple of coins to cover your stay. If you're knowingly going to be in the courthouse, a Reds game, a lengthy dinner, a show at Music Hall or Aronoff, etc., then pay to park somewhere long-term. Meters aren't for that stuff any way. Complaining that you can't park at a meter for hours on end with just a handful of coins is strange.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 03-08-2013 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati(Silverton)
1,576 posts, read 2,303,702 times
Reputation: 651
^Although lately credit card companies are allowing or companies to charge a fee per transaction. Who knows what they will per transaction years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Cincy
252 posts, read 860,317 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
So you should be happy that the "bad management" is being replaced by private management, right?

And private corporations have a profit motive, such that if their product is not profitable, the price will go down. If the price never goes down, that means people are using the parking meters, which means businesses are not hurting. What part of supply and demand do you not understand?
First, I fully understand supply and demand. But what I understand even more is data. And the data shows that the rates will continually increase. Why in the heck would I be happy with tossing out a bad manager for a crook? The city is doing fine managing the parking. It's the budget that they suck at, and development.

If the price never goes down, doesn't have a thing to do with supply and demand when it comes to city parking, they will raise the rates because they can. You act as if one can always expect private management to better..yeah right...smdh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati
4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times
Reputation: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincylifer View Post
You act as if one can always expect private management to better..
I would go on a limb and say that natininja is being sarcastic towards those who usually slam city management as being inept at everything, all the while lauding the private sector's efficiency in all things. Just a guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top