U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:18 PM

2,507 posts, read 3,351,758 times

Advertisements

From preschool to graduate school and everything in between, barrier to entry has a strong correlation to the quality of a school. Private schools do it with tuition, suburban schools do it with property values, urban schools do it with convoluted admissions policies and/or entrance tests.

At the college level it is more complicated and a lot of the differentiation is based on college or program rather than school, but the same trend remains. If anyone can get in, the reputation suffers.

I know it makes buying a house and picking a school risky, but if admission to the magnet schools was guaranteed for everyone in the district then the quality would necessarily be lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:40 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
From preschool to graduate school and everything in between, barrier to entry has a strong correlation to the quality of a school. Private schools do it with tuition, suburban schools do it with property values, urban schools do it with convoluted admissions policies and/or entrance tests.

At the college level it is more complicated and a lot of the differentiation is based on college or program rather than school, but the same trend remains. If anyone can get in, the reputation suffers.

I know it makes buying a house and picking a school risky, but if admission to the magnet schools was guaranteed for everyone in the district then the quality would necessarily be lower.
^ this.

I have to say that the student population at SCPA is very diverse, but the quality of the people there is evident. You have to put forth the effort to gain admission, and then stay on top of the curriculum and support the school the best you can. They have an interview process there as well. The interview is very cordial, but it's evident that they want people who will support their children to make them successful, and that makes the school successful.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:21 PM

688 posts, read 2,723,382 times
Thanks everyone! When I googled Sands Montessori (since that is the public school near the areas we've been looking) - this was one of the first results and it made me nervous about getting into the school: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...tract-campouts

What is the area like for Pleasant Ridge? I don't know anything about the neighborhoods there.

Honestly, I have some concerns about choosing a public school for something unconventional like Montessori, because as a public school teacher myself, I know that the requirements and red tape have become quite rigid and unforgiving for some of the alternative programming. So we would definitely consider private, too.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
Thanks everyone! When I googled Sands Montessori (since that is the public school near the areas we've been looking) - this was one of the first results and it made me nervous about getting into the school: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...tract-campouts

What is the area like for Pleasant Ridge? I don't know anything about the neighborhoods there.

Honestly, I have some concerns about choosing a public school for something unconventional like Montessori, because as a public school teacher myself, I know that the requirements and red tape have become quite rigid and unforgiving for some of the alternative programming. So we would definitely consider private, too.
I unserstand that private schools in the area are able to follow Montessori teaching principles to the letter, where CPS Montessori is not able to. So for those who really believe in Montessori, private may be the way to go. I'm not really a firm believer in strict Montessori, so North Avondale was a good option for my child.

I didn't know Sands camped out, but am not surprised because it's very popular.

Pleasant Ridge is a descent area with a quaint business district.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:34 PM

50 posts, read 65,434 times
PRM is the neigborhood school for Pleasant Ridge, Kennedy Heights, Golf Manor, and Amberley Village. As others on this board can tell you, that is quite a mix of races and incomes - which personally, I find as one of the attractions to the school, but everyone has their preferences.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:42 PM

688 posts, read 2,723,382 times
Thanks! Having specific neighborhood names will make it easier to search for potential housing. Not knowing much about a city (and relying on the internet to research from 400 miles away) can make it difficult to know exactly what I'm looking for.

Tom - If you don't mind, I will likely PM you about the CPS options once we have things more finalized.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 AM

50 posts, read 65,434 times
Not to derail the thread, but OP just FYI:

Pleasant Ridge and Kennedy Heights are both Cincinnati neighborhoods. I would consider both solidly middle class. I think P Ridge has a better "downtown", but Kennedy Heights is having a mini-renaissance of sorts with a focus on the arts.

Golf Manor and Amberley Village are both separate entities from City of Cincinnati, with their own police and fire. I would consider Golf Manor more working-middle class; Amberley more upper-middle class. Golf Manor has a few stores sprinkled here and there - Amberley is purely residential, and the most suburban feeling of any of the neighborhoods (although, there are pockets of Amberley where you could walk to the P Ridge stores).

Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg97 View Post
Not to derail the thread
No derailing at all, that's good information.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,726,919 times
Quote:

Pleasant Ridge is an older city neighborhood. Based on your other thread, I'm not sure it is a good fit. But it is worth checking out at least.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Tom - If you don't mind, I will likely PM you about the CPS options once we have things more finalized.
Anytime. Hopefully, I can help in some way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati