U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 AM

405 posts, read 653,729 times

Advertisements

I would urge the OP to take this time to research areas as much as you can on the internet but not get too focused on a specific neighborhood until you visit. I grew up near Pleasant Ridge and it was high on my list for a home until I returned and saw what has become of that "Big Box" zone down on Ridge Rd. While it wasn't charming or appealing in it's heyday it was at least fully tenanted and economically viable. Now it seems tenuous and hanging by a thread and I worry of what becomes of that zone if more spaces are vacated. Maybe there is a simple story behind that, or maybe not. I still like Pleasant Ridge itself however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,844,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFresh99 View Post
what has become of that "Big Box" zone down on Ridge Rd.
I'm not too sure what you are talking about. There is an empty Circuit City building and there has been some demolition behind target, but that area is hardly run down. Unless, you are talking about another spot I'm not thinking of.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
I'm not too sure what you are talking about. There is an empty Circuit City building and there has been some demolition behind target, but that area is hardly run down. Unless, you are talking about another spot I'm not thinking of.
There is something literally burned out (maybe a tire store) and an empty derelict big box across the street from ANOTHER empty derelict big box (behind Aldi) and an empty building that looks like it was offices of some sort and then something that looks like it was once a giant home suites and either still is (looks abandoned, never anyone in the lot, police motorcycles there last time) or isn't. This is all right befor you get to the Lowes plaza (now housing other down market tenants like check cashing and big lots) if you are coming south on Ridge from PR.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,416,907 times
Quote:
Probably a case more of remembering it from a different era. Years ago I would drive down there from Madeira to shop at Ontario, who did not survive. They carried very reputable brand goods at good prices. I bought my kid's last Flexible Flyer sleds there one Christmas season. Just walking through the store I saw them on an elevated display. I don't recall the other stores there at the time, but Ontario was a destination type store. I know of one other Ontario from that era and it was on Reading Rd near Evendale. After Ontario closed I quit going there because what was left just had no distinction to entice me. Looking at the big box store development in Oakley at the former industrial site makes me believe the Ridge Rd corridor may be in for a letdown.

You mentioned Circuit City. That one really perplexes me. It was when they went out of the appliance business their downfall seemed to start. A lot of empty space in their stores with nothing to put in it.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Ohhhhh right, Target. No I'm talking about Pleasant Ridge, Ridge and Highland big box zone.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,844,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Probably a case more of remembering it from a different era.
I was thinking of a different area, over by Marburg where Target and Meijer are.

Circuit City was a mind blower for me, but I am sure online sales and a bad economy did them in. Even Best Buy is struggling to compete against online sales.

Back to Ridge and that shopping area. I'm not sure that in itself makes PR a bad area, or some place to avoid. I've been to PR a lot, at Emanu, PR Chili, Kennedy Heights Art Center, etc., and it seems like a nice area to me. I would be interested to hear more from people who live/have lived there though. I don't want to dismiss your points SoFresh because they may be helpful.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:53 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,750,269 times
the sad big box zone you are talking about is in columbia township. it is a glaring example of the lack of long-term thinking that happens at the township level and to a lesser degree the lack of power townships have to control development. there are three empty big boxes (former k-mart, former sam's, former wal-mart) plus many occupied big boxes (lowes, home depot, big lots, remke/bigs), plus many occupied fast food places (the new jack in the box, wendy's, mcdonald's, taco bell, long john silvers).

the best thing would be for it to be annexed by the City, to tear down those big boxes and put in open space. of course, that will happen never ever ever. instead, columbia township will cling to that stretch forever and ever and wonder why it can't compete. if the city does somehow get its hands on it, it will be at a high cost and they'll try to attract even more 'development'

fortunately, it is an eyesore that is in the basin and isolated from pleasant ridge proper

Old 03-14-2013, 11:36 AM

50 posts, read 65,708 times
^ What he said.

It is quite depressing/annoying to drive that stretch pretty much every day, due to the generally bland state of development and the congestion that comes with said development. Every once in a while you hear of some rumored new development that may "turn it around," and while some aspects have improved a little (for example, the rehab of the Days Inn - looks much better from the outside now), it is still marginal improvement. However, as progmac said it is completely detached from P Ridge proper, so I don't feel it detracts from the core neighborhood.

That said, SoFresh's advice on not getting stuck onto one neighborhood (especially during internet research), is a good one.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:00 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,750,269 times
the kennedy connector will decrease traffic on ridge substantially. probably to the detriment of the big boxes along there, but to the relief of anyone living in the area.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM

3,389 posts, read 3,722,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
the kennedy connector will decrease traffic on ridge substantially. probably to the detriment of the big boxes along there, but to the relief of anyone living in the area.
Much agreed, progmac. All bets are off until the Kennedy Connector "kicks in," so to speak. This new thoroughfare, combined with the newly-developed Oakley Station (read in Target/Meijer/et al on steroids) will probably suck the last life-blood out of the mess at Ridge & Highland...

Over the past four-decades this particular Columbia Township crossroads has seen countless businesses come and go, and its immediate future appears (how should we say) questionable? For example, kjbrill mentioned "Ontario," but does anyone remember Ontario's predecessor, "Gold Circle," some 40+ yrs. ago or the KMart or the tiny Radio Shack there (which I worked at in the early '80s) or the "Gold Circle Cinema" near the same time? All gone; gone with the wind.

Although, as others have already mentioned, both Pleasant Ridge and Kennedy Heights remain established, viable Cincinnati suburbs, the area "off the hill" below them is truly a business zone in flux. No, it's not a crime zone or anything like that! In fact, it incorporates a valuable mix of businesses. Nevertheless, it's also a black hole, a no-man's-land to cross at one's own risk unless one's got a real reason to stop and a specific destination in mind. (Otherwise, you cross as quickly as possible and proceed on to "The Land of Target and Oakley Station," the new kids of the block.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati