U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:04 PM

101 posts, read 149,622 times

Advertisements

I'm not really familiar with the area, but I would think Evendale, Blue Ash might be good locations to consider also, but not sure about condo offerings and price points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 03:04 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,832,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
Hey Tom, Any ideas of good places to live near the airport?
I wish I could be helpful, but I rarely stray from downtown/uptown neighborhoods.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:07 PM

433 posts, read 832,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8buckeye08 View Post
As I'm sure you can remember, the airport is not really centrally located to the city. It's easily reachable from most areas of the greater Cincinnati area in 30-45 minutes, but you'd be limiting yourself to a couple of suburbs in Northern Kentucky if 15 minutes to the airport was critical for you.

As others have said, best wedding hotels and venues are in and around downtown (and many new hotels are being added). Name-brand hotels with ballrooms will mainly along I-71 with a couple near the airport and a couple in West Chester/Sharonville area.

As a wedding planner, I think you'd also want to be close to the two bridal rows (there may be more?) in Reading and Covington.

To give you some context on Ivy Hills, you could be downtown in about 15 (25-40) minutes, to hotels in Montgomery/Fields Ertel in about 20 (30+) minutes without traffic, West Chester in about 30 (45+), airport in 25 (30-40). Note that times in parentheses are during rush hour. The nice thing from my viewpoint on the east-side is that while you aren't really, really close to any of the areas, it's not a bad drive to any one of these and you avoid the worst traffic patterns (into the city from the Cut-in-the-Hill or Fields Ertel).

Thank you for the additional info -- Not to seem dense, but can you elaborate on your last sentence? Are you saying to avoid the F.E. area due to traffic? Not sure what Cut-in-the-hill is?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Hey Tom, Any ideas of good places to live near the airport?
Not knocking the area, but I think you're really going to hate being down there if you have to be up in West Chester or Mason for a wedding. Even getting downtown can be a beast during rush hour through cut-in-the-hill. Also, I can really only think of a 2 or 3 hotels that are near the airport that would be OK for weddings.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the additional info -- Not to seem dense, but can you elaborate on your last sentence? Are you saying to avoid the F.E. area due to traffic? Not sure what Cut-in-the-hill is?
Traffic around Fields Ertel is bad due to poor urban planning. Additionally, there are a lot of commuters from Mason that go further into the city, so traffic starts backing up here during morning commutes and (from my limited personal experience with it) is worse on the afternoon commute.

Cut-in-the-hill is the beautiful framing view of Cincinnati coming north, but getting stopped up by the overworked Brent-Spence Bridge.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Traffic around Fields Ertel is bad due to poor urban planning. Additionally, there are a lot of commuters from Mason that go further into the city, so traffic starts backing up here during morning commutes and (from my limited personal experience with it) is worse on the afternoon commute.

Cut-in-the-hill is the beautiful framing view of Cincinnati coming north, but getting stopped up by the overworked Brent-Spence Bridge.
Aaaahhhhh, thanks for the photo -- a picture is worth a thousand words.... I remember that view everytime I drove to Cincy from SC/GA/FL. Goose bumps at night from the beautiful lighted view. Thanks for explaining!

I lived at Wellington Place at F.E. and Mont Roads, and I remember the traffic there.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Not knocking the area, but I think you're really going to hate being down there if you have to be up in West Chester or Mason for a wedding. Even getting downtown can be a beast during rush hour through cut-in-the-hill. Also, I can really only think of a 2 or 3 hotels that are near the airport that would be OK for weddings.
Point taken and appreciated... I think you are correct. Next to Downtown, it appears Blue Ash has the most 4 and 5-star hotels, so maybe I need to concentrate on Kenwood, Montgomery, Evendale, Blue Ash?

Old 03-13-2013, 03:37 PM

P.S. You guys are very helpful and nice, which makes the prospect of moving back even nicer. I am grateful for your willingness to share your insight and suggestions.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Quote:
I was also going to comment, the airport is not exactly surrounded by hotels. I agree the selection is only a couple with conference facilities suitable for weddings. And if your clients don't care for those it is quite a haul to the other places across the river. I would consider a location more central to between I-71 and I-75 on the Ohio side so you can reasonably get to such as the Marriott or Wingate in Westchester, the Marriott or Hilton Garden Inn near Kings Island. Do you ever book just straight banquet & conference centers such as the Manor House in Mason, the Oasis in Loveland, or the Wunderland Banquet Center on Colerain Ave.? I have been to events at all three and they are quite nice.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Point taken and appreciated... I think you are correct. It seems Blue Ash has the most 4 and 5-star hotels, so maybe I need to concentrate on Kenwood, Montgomery, Evendale, Blue Ash?
All of these are good locations. Biggest down-side is commute to downtown and airport can be bad at times. I have no idea on condo's/apartments in this area, but it may be hard to get somewhere nicer/newer at the price-point you mentioned. I know when my wife and I were moving back to Cincinnati it was hard to find somewhere at that price-point, get a well-kept complex, and be relatively close to the things that were important to us.

Also, not sure what your definition is for 4 and 5-star hotels. I'm not sure if Cincinnati has any true 5-star hotels, The Cincinnatian or Hilton-Netherland Plaza downtown might be, but I doubt it. In terms of hotels that are Marriott or Hilton brand-name or better, I think you'll find 2-3 by the airport, a few in West Chester/Mason, and 2-3 in Blue Ash. I see like 9-10 in downtown and Covington that would fit the criteria.

Two other options to consider:
-You'll be hard-pressed to get an apartment there, but Current at The Banks downtown may be an option. It seems like there are a lot of empty-nesters moving downtown and this complex is large, but I wouldn't call it a high-rise complex either. It would be a reverse-commute to anywhere you want to go, be in the heart of a vibrant area. You're basically bordered by the ballpark, the river, and the central business district, so I'd say crime is very low for downtown living. Most of what you described has been suburban living, but this is an outside-the-box idea.
-Mariemont has a few small older complexes, but is a really neat area with a fair amount of older, upper-middle class folks. Same thing applies as what I said about our apartment complex in Newtown except you're a couple minutes closer to everything (except for maybe the airport). Biggest challenge here is that these rentals are not well advertised. It will take a bit of driving around and/or Craigslist searching to find a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati