Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 04:31 PM

433 posts, read 955,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8buckeye08 View Post
All of these are good locations. Biggest down-side is commute to downtown and airport can be bad at times. I have no idea on condo's/apartments in this area, but it may be hard to get somewhere nicer/newer at the price-point you mentioned. I know when my wife and I were moving back to Cincinnati it was hard to find somewhere at that price-point, get a well-kept complex, and be relatively close to the things that were important to us.

Also, not sure what your definition is for 4 and 5-star hotels. I'm not sure if Cincinnati has any true 5-star hotels, The Cincinnatian or Hilton-Netherland Plaza downtown might be, but I doubt it. In terms of hotels that are Marriott or Hilton brand-name or better, I think you'll find 2-3 by the airport, a few in West Chester/Mason, and 2-3 in Blue Ash. I see like 9-10 in downtown and Covington that would fit the criteria.

Two other options to consider:
-You'll be hard-pressed to get an apartment there, but Current at The Banks downtown may be an option. It seems like there are a lot of empty-nesters moving downtown and this complex is large, but I wouldn't call it a high-rise complex either. It would be a reverse-commute to anywhere you want to go, be in the heart of a vibrant area. You're basically bordered by the ballpark, the river, and the central business district, so I'd say crime is very low for downtown living. Most of what you described has been suburban living, but this is an outside-the-box idea.
-Mariemont has a few small older complexes, but is a really neat area with a fair amount of older, upper-middle class folks. Same thing applies as what I said about our apartment complex in Newtown except you're a couple minutes closer to everything (except for maybe the airport). Biggest challenge here is that these rentals are not well advertised. It will take a bit of driving around and/or Craigslist searching to find a place.
Thank you, once again, Buckeye. I've been to Mariemont and loved the feel to it. The town square is lovely, and I used to walk my dog around that area and then sit on one of the benches in the square. If I am correct, one would access the interstate via Redbank Road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 05:08 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,279,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50something View Post
Thank you, once again, Buckeye. I've been to Mariemont and loved the feel to it. The town square is lovely, and I used to walk my dog around that area and then sit on one of the benches in the square. If I am correct, one would access the interstate via Redbank Road?
You would get onto I-71 north from Red Bank Road from Mariemont. If you were going downtown or to northern Ky you would probably just take US 50 West (Columbia Parkway).

Old 03-13-2013, 05:25 PM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times
Quote:
Point taken and appreciated... I think you are correct. Next to Downtown, it appears Blue Ash has the most 4 and 5-star hotels, so maybe I need to concentrate on Kenwood, Montgomery, Evendale, Blue Ash?
That's not a bad idea. They all should have a variety of condos and apartments for rent.

Google Cincinnati Magazine's bridal guide; it's probably online. That will give you an idea of what kinds of wedding venues there are out there, and where they are. There's a bunch of non-hotel places that specialize in wedding receptions. One might even be called Receptions, and good God, I think I've been there ...

Quote:
I've been to Mariemont and loved the feel to it. The town square is lovely, and I used to walk my dog around that area and then sit on one of the benches in the square. If I am correct, one would access the interstate via Redbank Road?
Mariemont has undergone a lot of changes since 2004 -- that's also when I moved away from Cincinnati (I lived in Madisonville north of Mariemont Square). All those little red brick, modestly priced apartment buildings near the square are gone in favor of overpriced, oversized condos. The townhouses to the west of the square, west of Plainville Road, still exist and from what I remember the rents are still reasonable. And, yes, access to the freeways (via Red Bank Road), to Kentucky (via Columbia Parkway), and to the northern 'burbs (straight up Kenwood Road) is a piece of cake. Also, it's only 15-20 minutes to downtown via Columbia Parkway.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's not a bad idea. They all should have a variety of condos and apartments for rent.

Google Cincinnati Magazine's bridal guide; it's probably online. That will give you an idea of what kinds of wedding venues there are out there, and where they are. There's a bunch of non-hotel places that specialize in wedding receptions. One might even be called Receptions, and good God, I think I've been there ...

Mariemont has undergone a lot of changes since 2004 -- that's also when I moved away from Cincinnati (I lived in Madisonville north of Mariemont Square). All those little red brick, modestly priced apartment buildings near the square are gone in favor of overpriced, oversized condos. The townhouses to the west of the square, west of Plainville Road, still exist and from what I remember the rents are still reasonable. And, yes, access to the freeways (via Red Bank Road), to Kentucky (via Columbia Parkway), and to the northern 'burbs (straight up Kenwood Road) is a piece of cake. Also, it's only 15-20 minutes to downtown via Columbia Parkway.
Thanks O.G. for all of the great ideas -- It seems everything and everywhere has been affected by change, and not always for the better. Wow, I am thinking South Jersey isn't more expensive than (or as) Cincy. I always thought that Cincy's rents were lower than SNJ. I'm still going to do my due diligence and look into rents, especially in the Blue Ash/Tri County areas.

BTW, if you're not in OH, what state do you live in? I've lived in 14 different states, so maybe I've lived where you are now. You can tell me -- I won't tell a soul.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8buckeye08 View Post
Two other options to consider:
-You'll be hard-pressed to get an apartment there, but Current at The Banks downtown may be an option. It seems like there are a lot of empty-nesters moving downtown and this complex is large, but I wouldn't call it a high-rise complex either. It would be a reverse-commute to anywhere you want to go, be in the heart of a vibrant area. You're basically bordered by the ballpark, the river, and the central business district, so I'd say crime is very low for downtown living. Most of what you described has been suburban living, but this is an outside-the-box idea.
I checked out Current at The Banks' website. That complex is managed by Village Green, and they used to manage Wellington Place Townhomes where I previously lived. The community looks fabulous, but the rents start at $1400. Thanks, though, for the info -- all of the info you guys are sharing has been very helpful.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:27 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,951,122 times
The Hammond North on Hamilton Avenue is a very convenient location to a lot of stuff, including downtown, Covington and the interstates. It appears to me from reading the thread that you're really going to have to travel the entire metro area anyway. College Hill has its share of problems and is an older, inner-ring suburb, but the building is pretty much a little island unto itself. I can tell you that if I were widowed and in the market for an apartment type condo, it'd be at the top of my list. Spacious apartments, beautiful views and reasonable prices.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
College Hill has its share of problems and is an older, inner-ring suburb, but the building is pretty much a little island unto itself. I can tell you that if I were widowed and in the market for an apartment type condo, it'd be at the top of my list. Spacious apartments, beautiful views and reasonable prices.
I am all ears regarding College Hill.... I confess to pure ignorance about that part of Cincy. I didn't get what condo community you were referring to. (Is Hammond North in College Hill, and are the condos in that building owned or rented?) Any names of apartments/condos you can share would be appreciated.

Last edited by 50something; 03-13-2013 at 06:56 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,529,057 times
There is little in the way of upscale hotels around the Cincinnati airport. There's a Doubletree on the airport property, and then everything else is of the the Hampton/Holiday Inn/Hyatt Place variety. You have to go downtown.

On the north end of town, there are two Marriotts, one at Union Center in West Chester, and the other at Fields Ertel and Mason Montgomery Rd. I'm not sure what they call the area...Landen, Deerfield Twp, Mason...it's in a suburban sprawl area. The only other hotel that I can think of that fits your criteria and is not downtown is the Embassy Suites Blue Ash on Reed Hartmann Hwy. You just don't have that many options away from downtown.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
On the north end of town, there are two Marriotts, one at Union Center in West Chester, and the other at Fields Ertel and Mason Montgomery Rd. I'm not sure what they call the area...Landen, Deerfield Twp, Mason...it's in a suburban sprawl area. The only other hotel that I can think of that fits your criteria and is not downtown is the Embassy Suites Blue Ash on Reed Hartmann Hwy. You just don't have that many options away from downtown.
Thanks much for the info. I looked up hotels in Blue Ash, and there seems to be a lot, but not all of them offer banquet/meeting rooms for receptions over 100 people.

Last edited by 50something; 03-13-2013 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 PM

4,882 posts, read 13,751,893 times
I can vouch for Hammond North, not as a choice of residence I would make but as one that's workable for many people. (Longtime friends of the goyguy family "right-sized" into a condo they purchased there. They enjoy spectacular views. And their unit is well-proportioned, with the only potential downside being the narrow kitchen. I'm sure there are various floor plans offered given the size of the structure.) The building really is "an island unto itself." It's alongside Hamilton Ave as the street makes its long climb from Northside to College Hill, with its nearest neighbor being the Twin Towers retirement complex. To the east is a portion of the extensive LaBoiteaux Woods - ya want quiet, ya got quiet!
Northside to the south is a demographic hodgepodge of punk rockers, earthy crunchies, artsy fartsies, and more long-established AA and Appalachian households. It's where you go for locally-sourced salads and creative cocktails as well as diner food. College Hill to the north is now in a somewhat sorry state until you reach North Bend Rd - lots of vacant or "repurposed" commercial space (e.g. former movie theater converted to storefront church.) Kroger once had a store there only to relocate a mile or so north to larger digs adjacent to the Cross-County Highway - the former location hosts a weed farm in the parking lot. The "locally popular" College Hill Coffee Co and Bacall's on the Avenue are holding their own but don't have any other businesses to help draw patrons. You'll probably get plenty of scenic touring in if you relocate into Hammond North, since Hamilton Ave is the artery connecting Fairfield to 275 to the Cross-County etc. Although the streetscape is largely uninviting it's not a dangerous stretch to traverse by car, at least well into the evening.
Have you looked into the "Maisons de Lafayette" in Clifton? The complex name definitely falls into the "pretentious/grandiose" category, as does that of the street off Ludlow Ave which runs in front (Rue de la Paix.) But the condo-converted apartments are shockingly inexpensive. This may be due in part to the buildings' dating back to the late 1960's and still showing many of the, shall we say, decorative excesses of that era. No matter. The views to the east and south are excellent. And although there's not a complete suburban feel the "rue" itself is as quiet as can be. Plus you can be on I-75 northbound inside of a minute thanks to the Central Parkway on-ramp just south of Ludlow. Here also dwells a goyguy friend, this one a retired UC professor who right-sized into the "maisons" after his wife passed away. As is the case with Hammond North, the units are occupied almost entirely by retirees and middle-aged singles or empty-nesters. But it's not entirely "old people" since some newer townhouses are inhabited by families. The complex also anchors the posh end of Clifton's gaslight district, which means that when quiet time is needed you're a quick stroll up tree- and mansion-lined Lafayette Ave to the tranquil and picturesque Mt Storm Park.
On the "true suburban" side of things, another area which has undergone some noticeable changes for the better is Woodlawn. Several mid-scale "rental communities" can now be found strung along Springfield Pike (Route 4) as it enters Glendale. While it was sad to see the improbably long-lasting heirloom cattle farm with its trees and lush lawns fall to the bulldozers, replaced by an unremarkable strip mall, the county park district did take ownership of most of the land beyond. So you can now walk or jog through the adjacent Trillium Trails and Glenwood Gardens acreage with some bikeways included to the south. Then afterwards you'll have justification (by virtue of having burned calories) for grabbing take-out Chinese food or Popeye's! Woodlawn is a hop, skip, and jump from 275 by way of Route 4 and Tri-County is quickly reached by following Congress Ave (Route 747) straight through gaslit Glendale, whence you can also get onto 275 a bit to the east of Springfield Pike.
Reception site tip, while I'm at it: Two years ago a large outbuilding on the grounds of the St Clare convent in Springfield Township - immediately to the west of Cincinnati's Hartwell neighborhood and south of Wyoming - was nicely remodeled into a meeting/reception facility. It's been given the somewhat unseemly name of "The Centennial Barn" but is a roomy two-level space with a bar and large patio. Yours Truly helped launch the married life of a C-D friend there at one of their first events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati