U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 AM

5,319 posts, read 6,626,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi ram2--

Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.

I guess if your eyesight is so bad you cannot see vehicles slowing down in front of you.

The minimum freeway speed limit in Ohio is 45mph, so coming to a complete stop is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 11:25 AM

Ohio Turnpike - Mashpedia, the Real-Time Encyclopedia

Read the section on speed limits.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I don't know which Ohio Turnpike you were driving legally at 75 mph, but it wasn't the one that crosses the northern part of Ohio.

The history of Ohio's speed limit from 35 mph to 70 mph: Statistical Snapshot | cleveland.com

Just shows extremely poor research by a "reporter".

Old 04-09-2013, 01:28 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,521,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8buckeye08 View Post
Correlation does not equal causation. Cars have gotten much, much safer during this time along with strict enforcement of seat-belt and DUI violations greatly outweigh any added danger from driving faster.

It may not matter all that much for us anyways, as our self-driving Google cars will soon drive 120 MPH while we watch the morning news on our ride to work.
Stop, stop, your facts and reason don't outweigh my selfish desire to put my own and others' lives at risk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I guess if your eyesight is so bad you cannot see vehicles slowing down in front of you.

The minimum freeway speed limit in Ohio is 45mph, so coming to a complete stop is illegal.
Whoosh!!!! That's the sound of basic physics concepts blowing right over your head!

Good point, hensleya!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Stop, stop, your facts and reason don't outweigh my selfish desire to put my own and others' lives at risk!

Whoosh!!!! That's the sound of basic physics concepts blowing right over your head!

Good point, hensleya!

How did we survive driving 75mph on the Ohio Turnpike back in the old days?

Old 04-09-2013, 01:42 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
Quote:
I agree the Ohio Turnpike speed limit was 75 until the passage of the 1974 uniform national speed limit. Considering the tolls which theoretically went to maintain the highway, this was probably realistic. But since 1974 the Turnpike limit has been kept the same as the Interstate system on Ohio. This is probably also realistic since the legislature has seen fit to bleed off the Turnpike tolls to support other roads in Ohio. The fact they have also seen fit to sign the Turnpike with Interstate IDs just adds credence to this.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,521,818 times
Quote:
How did we survive driving 75mph on the Ohio Turnpike back in the old days?
Some people survived the outbreak of bubonic plague, which by your logic makes the plague not dangerous! Unbelievable.

I'm going to ignore your screenname, because you make me want to say nasty things which will get me infractions. I can't imagine I will ever miss anything insightful because of it.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:01 PM

3,707 posts, read 6,579,047 times
Quote:
And where is the citation for the source in that article? Is it the Wikipedia article that is still waiting for a citation to verify the report?

Tell me, is the Mashpedia article quoting the Wikipedia article or is it the other way around? Both articles are identical and neither one cites their sources.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:06 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,383,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Like most graphs, this one does little to settle an argument. It leaves out as much as it presents.

For example, what is the total milage driven broken down between commerial trucks and passenger vehicles. Same goes for vehicle fatalities. I would expect fatalities per mile driven to be much less for commercial operators, most truckers I know have a very good idea of how their truck handles, in all kind of weather.

Another meaningful statistic would be the age of the drivers Of course this would greatlly expand the graph But a separate graph indicating passenger vehicles and age groups might be enlightening.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:01 AM

214 posts, read 1,174,572 times
I see this little community shows up in the paper again today regarding the proposal to refund fines paid. I say; bull. You town earned them, the drivers paid them and you keep them.

Like all the hubbub of camera bs here in AZ a few years ago there's on simple underlying fact: participation is voluntary- you choose to speed, you choose to pay. To all those who cry foul that they are simply a money maker deal- well guess what; they didn't cost me a dime here in AZ. It's pretty clear to me; you choose to contribute or you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati