U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 AM

13 posts, read 17,562 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are going to be relocating to Cincinnati! I have found this site very helpful in the past. We are searching for public high schools that offer great music programs, specifically strings orchestra. Extra nice would be jazz bands, music theory, and maybe even guitar. From my research, it seems like Cincinnati is a wonderful area...lots of great schools to choose from. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 AM

3,707 posts, read 6,564,999 times
Just one question before the discussion begins. Are you looking for a school that specifically focuses on the arts ( music, drama,etc.), or one where a strong music program is just one part of a strong "general" education?

Old 03-16-2013, 09:15 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Just one question before the discussion begins. Are you looking for a school that specifically focuses on the arts ( music, drama,etc.), or one where a strong music program is just one part of a strong "general" education?
Very good question. I will wait for an answer before chiming in.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:58 AM

Yes, great question. No, not strictly arts, not like SCPA, just a great school with lots of "extras" like music and arts, as well as clubs and activities. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2013, 11:12 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,950,603 times
I don't know about strings specifically, but I believe both Sycamore and Lakota systems have large and well-regarded music programs.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:10 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Mason City Schools has a well-rounded offering as should any large district.

The HS has a classical string based Symphonic Orchestra, organized in 2006.

In addition there are 5 concert bands. Three are upper level bands, the Wind Symphony, the Symphonic Band, and the Concert Winds. These are comprised of primarily upperclassmen. There is also the Concert Green and White Bands which have a less demanding repertoire.

The Marching Band is the largest musical entity on campas, comprised of around 250 members. It is a competition band participating in 6-8 competitions each fall. In 2011 it made it to the National Finals of the Bands of America competition and finished 10th in the country.

To round out the program is the Jazz Band offering an outlet for instruments not in the other bands such as guitar, bass, and piano.

My two younger daughters participated in the Mason music program all their way through. The oldest started with the flute in elementary school then switched to the oboe at her director's request. She played the trombone in the Marching Band. The music program sufficiently impressed her she became a music major at Bowling Green State University. In her senior year at Mason she won the coveted John Philip Sousa national award.

The younger daughter decided to become a percussionist. She played the quads in the Marching Band, the kettle drum and other percussion instruments in the Symphonic Band, and the drum set in the Jazz Band. While still in HS she auditioned for the U.S.Army band and was awarded a position. Immediately after HS she went to basic training and then to UK to get her bachelors degree. She met her husband in the Army band, and he is a HS band director in KY. They both remained active in the Army Reserve Band based out of Fort Knox. They regularly play in the midnight 4th of July parade in Gatlinburg TN. Last year for their summer training program the band went to Hawaii. She has recently broken her drum set out of storage, had the heads refurbished, and is actively taking lessons again. The Army Reserve Band has its own jazz ensemble they use to add variety to their performances. The person who has been in the drum set position for years is retiring. She is determined to resharpen her skills to take over the position. While at Mason HS she played the drum set in jazz band. There was also a very accomplished male drummer so they had to split duties. She had one advantage, I remember attending performances and hearing people whisper to each other that is a girl on the drums as it was certainly not the norm back then.

Both daughters participated in the Middletown and Blue Ash Youth Symphonies. Even though Mason did not have a symphony orchestra at that time, their individual talents and musical expertise gained them ready acceptance. Ohio State honor bands were another source of personal satisfaction.

I will flat out state the success of a HS music program is directly tied to the capability of the leadership. During my daughters time, Tim Holt was the person firmly in charge of the Mason music program. He came out of the U.S.Navy program in Virginia. In my mind his greatest contribution was connected to the pride he installed in the music program kids. His attitude was if you want to be appreciated as a serious musician then look and act the part. His insistance on discipline and control registered on the students.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:45 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,918 times
^ Cool to see how much Mason offers for music programs. Thanks!

Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 PM

73 posts, read 72,502 times
Honestly, I would suggest an excellent lesson teacher in the field that you would like to play in and go from there.

'86 Old Roger Bacon Band
12 Ohio State Championships
4th in the Nation in Festival of States, St. Petersburg, Florida

Old 03-24-2013, 05:06 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,950,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDXUFan View Post
Honestly, I would suggest an excellent lesson teacher in the field that you would like to play in and go from there.

'86 Old Roger Bacon Band
12 Ohio State Championships
4th in the Nation in Festival of States, St. Petersburg, Florida
Certainly a good suggestion, but for most if not all ensemble instruments, there's no substitute for having a well-directed ensemble of peers available to participate in. Your posting reminds me to suggest the OP also contact the Preparatory Department at College-Conservatory of Music, UC's music department.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:34 PM

Wow. Mason sounds like it just may fit the bill. My son currently takes private music lessons, but yes, you can't beat being able to collaborate with your peers at school! Someone also suggested Sycamore, which we will also check out. Thank everyone so much. I welcome any additional suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati