U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:33 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,363,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
While I do not wish to discuss this entire post as I don't know enough about it all, I'd like to suggest you (kjbrill) check out the aquifer business and re-assess the posting.

To the best of my knowledge there is only ONE aquifer, the Great Miami, which supplies the northern part of the Cincinnati area -- and the entire city of Dayton, Ohio, since 'way back when -- and now supplies not only Dayton and the northern part of the Cincinnati but suburbs as well.

If the Mason wells were draining the aquifer faster than its replenishment rate, chances are the wells were not sunk deep enough in the beginning. Again, as I understand it, this is what happened to Huber Heights and Oakwood, both of which have had aquifer wells.
Yes it is the Great Miami aquifier, and many municipalities depend on it. But it is not like aquifiers are at consistent depth level. They are affected by the underlying bedrock and what covers it. The depth can vary quite a bit. The City of Lebanon also commissioned a study and was advised the aquifier would not serve their future needs, so in 2012 they also entered into a contract with Cincinnati Water Works to supply them water.

The Great Miami aquifier is a great resource, but it is not unlimited. There is also the smaller Little Miami aquifier which is where Indian Hill and others draw their water.

Another effect is a well has a finite life. As water is drawn from it I believe the well eventually becomes clogged with small particles drawn into it's sidewalls reducing its output. The enironmental regulations for sinking new wells are becoming more and more stringent, driving the costs up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 05:52 PM

31,166 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Cincinnati, along with many old cities, has a big problem with combined sewer overflow. When there's a big storm, people get poop in their basements. The Mill Creek and the Ohio also get their share of poop. It's not a happy situation. Go ahead and blame the EPA if you want. After all, why do we need the EPA when we could have poop instead?
You're absolutely right. The bill can be kicked down the years just so many times; but it always comes due.

The same squawking was heard 20-some years ago when the water works updated its delivery system; protests at higher bills didn't last quite so long, though, because the increase in water quality was so measurable.

Of course, not getting poop in your basement when it rains is a measurable improvement, too ...

Old 03-17-2013, 06:28 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,121,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Yes it is the Great Miami aquifier, and many municipalities depend on it. But it is not like aquifiers are at consistent depth level. They are affected by the underlying bedrock and what covers it. The depth can vary quite a bit. The City of Lebanon also commissioned a study and was advised the aquifier would not serve their future needs, so in 2012 they also entered into a contract with Cincinnati Water Works to supply them water.

The Great Miami aquifier is a great resource, but it is not unlimited. There is also the smaller Little Miami aquifier which is where Indian Hill and others draw their water.

Another effect is a well has a finite life. As water is drawn from it I believe the well eventually becomes clogged with small particles drawn into it's sidewalls reducing its output. The enironmental regulations for sinking new wells are becoming more and more stringent, driving the costs up.

The Enquirer put them together:

Thirsty suburbs endanger aquifer

Since it's underground, no one really knows where or how far it reaches, but some think it might go as far as near to Columbus. Regardless, most basic maps show it as one thing:

Miami Conservancy District

Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 AM

9 posts, read 10,142 times
My water bill is $30-40/month right now but that's only 2 people (myself and my brother).
It's not that much and I'm more than willing to pay it or a few $ more if it means my water doesn't taste like the water we had when I lived in Loveland 15 years ago.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:38 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,363,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincyhopeful View Post
My water bill is $30-40/month right now but that's only 2 people (myself and my brother).
It's not that much and I'm more than willing to pay it or a few $ more if it means my water doesn't taste like the water we had when I lived in Loveland 15 years ago.
I will admit the water we are getting from Cincinnati Water Works is good water. I have absolutely no complaints about its taste.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:39 AM

912 posts, read 1,189,818 times
My water bill was $80 higher this time than last time! I almost fell over when I saw the bill. Overall, my water/sewer bill is a lot higher than it was in Memphis, and I don't quite know why. The majority of our bill was the sewer rates, and I have no idea how to lower that, if it can be lowered at all. We don't run the dishwasher unless it's completely full, we're conservative with water overall. A little frustrating.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:46 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,433 times
Here's one thing I learned from the Water Works. They actually set your sewer rates for the year based on the usage in the winter quarter. Ostensibly, part of the reason they do this is because that's when your usage would not be skewed by watering the lawn or filling the pool. So, if there is any time of year to keep your usage low, it's this most recent quarter, because it will affect what you pay the rest of the year.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,583 times
forest park family of 3.
dishwasher, shower daily and normal washink.. 375 to 400 quarterly.
i replaced all toilet inner works and lowered water level near half. cut back a bit on laundry. use dishwasher daily.
shorter showers 10 to 15 min..
seems like a lot doesnt it? can anyone comment on this area??

Old 12-20-2015, 02:11 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,141,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmdesign View Post
forest park family of 3.
dishwasher, shower daily and normal washink.. 375 to 400 quarterly.
i replaced all toilet inner works and lowered water level near half. cut back a bit on laundry. use dishwasher daily.
shorter showers 10 to 15 min..
seems like a lot doesnt it? can anyone comment on this area??
How much CCF do you use per month? I pay around $60 a month combined for trash sewer and water in mason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati