U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 07:26 PM

3,514 posts, read 3,781,531 times

Advertisements

Great comments and interesting thread, thanks thatswanlady!

I personally would think Anderson would hold its value because of its affluent neighbors in Maderia, Indian Hill, and eastern Cincinnati. But then again I could be wrong. It's hard to say, especially with Cincy. Other cities (like Dayton, Columbus, or Louisville, for instance) are more cut and dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 03:58 PM

4,074 posts, read 1,466,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
It's actually in Anderson, but I take your point. We're fairly close to the Mt. Wash border.

And yes, it is a vote of confidence on my end -- we deliberated for a long time about whether to buy in Anderson. We loved the house and area, but I kept seeing hints on this board about the imminent decline of Anderson -- which was confusing since it didn't at all line up with what I was seeing day-after-day, but I'm from a city where areas decline rapidly and obviously, so it's a little different.

I obviously can't speak for all of Anderson, but from what I see where I live (and in the parts I go to frequently), I see a lot of well-kept homes, kids playing outside, and lots of nice things that would seem to indicate a stable area. Sure, there are homes here and there that have seen better days, but I would venture to guess that you'll find this in any part of town except perhaps for the extremely wealthy areas.

Anderson is convenient for us -- I work downtown and my husband works up near Loveland. I can, however, see how Anderson is not convenient to other areas because of a lack of easy access to 71/75 -- but it works for us. I am able to ride the bus to work, something I couldn't reasonably (or safely) do in my hometown, and traffic is never really a huge issue for either of our commutes.

Long-term, who knows? I'm no psychic. I just try to keep myself as informed as possible, and if the time ever comes that we need to start discussing a new plan, then that's what we'll do.
Even in the very best neighborhood it is a crap shoot. All it takes is one disruptive problem-neighbor to make everyone miserable. (Been there, done that). To me that is one of the biggest risks in buying a house. Always worth spending a little time checking out your prospective neighbors. Sounds a little nosy but its better to find out now rather than after you have signed off at your closing!

Sounds like you've closed on your house and you like your area, so congratulations.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:16 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,302,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Great comments and interesting thread, thanks thatswanlady!

I personally would think Anderson would hold its value because of its affluent neighbors in Maderia, Indian Hill, and eastern Cincinnati. But then again I could be wrong. It's hard to say, especially with Cincy. Other cities (like Dayton, Columbus, or Louisville, for instance) are more cut and dry.
Maderia is not close to Anderson Twp.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:16 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
I grew up in Madeira, and I always thought we were pretty close to Anderson. Cut up through Indian Hill on Miami Ave down to Wooster Pike, east to Newtown Rd, south across it through Newtown and up the hill and you are in Anderson. Sure we weren't neighbors but I always felt it was not far.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:42 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,302,691 times
How would Madeira or Indian hill effect Values of Anderson Twp at all? It does not effect Silverton or Deer Park values which boarders it directly.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
How would Madeira or Indian hill effect Values of Anderson Twp at all? It does not effect Silverton or Deer Park values which boarders it directly.
Indian Hill definitely affects Madeira values. The few newer streets on the boarder of Madeira which have Indian Hill size homes would have never been built except for Indian Hill. They are in Madeira but they feel like Indian Hill.

It is somethat of a stretch to say Silverton and Deer Park border Madeira directly. Silverton has a very small border with Madeira primarily along Stewart Rd. Deer Park has virtually no border with Madeira as Sycamore Twp. is in between.

You have to look at the age of both Silverton and Deer Park in addition to the type of housing which is there. They are both much older than Madeira, Madeira was just fields when they were built. The lot sizes, home sizes, everything establishes a limit which is not going to be exceeded.

I didn't say Madeira affects values in Anderson Twp, as I don't believe it does. I was just commenting Anderson Twp. felt very similar to where I grew up in Madeira.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:24 PM

3,514 posts, read 3,781,531 times
Quote:
Kjbrill just did a far better job explaining why it works than I could.

My basis was it is the same general "group". Like if you were to associate Anderson with other suburbs, the most positive examples would be the ones I listed. And given Anderson's location it is not much of a stretch. Similar to grouping Mason, West Chester, Kings, Loveland, and Sycamore, for instance, even though OH 4 in Liberty Twp / West Chester is very far away from Wards Corner in Loveland.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 PM

Here is my grouping for the Northern suburbs.

Loveland, Landen (better recognized than Kings), Mason, Deerfield Township, West Chester and Liberty Townships. What distinguishes all of them is good schools. Deerfield Township is either in the Kings or the Mason district, can't knock either one.

They just naturally fit together due to all of the similarities. Depending on size and cost of house, I can see a family having an enjoyable existence in any of them. And note I said family, as they all are solidly family oriented.

And Sycamore (Blue Ash, Montgomery, Symmes Twp.) certainly fits the mold. But I put them in a class by themselves. For one thing they are predominantly in a separate county. They offer a closer commute to the City which should attract a number of people. And to me they are no more northern than Sharonville.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:12 AM

5,310 posts, read 6,608,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I grew up in Madeira, and I always thought we were pretty close to Anderson. Cut up through Indian Hill on Miami Ave down to Wooster Pike, east to Newtown Rd, south across it through Newtown and up the hill and you are in Anderson. Sure we weren't neighbors but I always felt it was not far.

I used to live in Anderson and never considered Madeira or Indian Hill as neighbors. The neighbors are Mt. Washington, Mt. Carmel, and Withamsville.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:08 PM

1,348 posts, read 456,974 times
This has been a very informative thread and I thought I'd bring it forward because I recently looked at homes in the Anderson/Mt Washington areas.

I'd appreciate any newer input people have about the condition of homes and neighborhoods, general living, schools, crime, etc. in both areas since this thread was active in 2013/2014. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati