U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM

800 posts, read 621,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniezta View Post
Thanks for the info on the travel teams there. Here in Georgia, the travel teams usually trump the school teams in talent and daddy-ball stuff. We are far off from high-school, as my son playing travel ball is only 8. He just doesn't want to go back to recreational ball that is not as competetive as what he have been involved in for the last two years. Baseball is huge in the South and I am getting the feeling that it is not so much in the North, probably with the weather playing a large roll in that differential too.

As for areas to live, I am looking into Blue Ash and some of the other suggestions. They are all much appreciated. Can anyone weigh in on the inflation of list vs sales prices in the area? I have heard a lot of people say that up there people inflate their asking price. Just curious for your thoughts on this. So far our agent has only sent us stuff at the very top of our price range and I am not sure if she really thinks we can get the price down or what.

Thanks!
Cincinnati is a baseball town. I don't think I know a single person that does not have at least one Reds article of clothing and people follow the team religiously. In fact, many students skip school on opening day to partake in the festivities.

That being said, at the high school level baseball probably is not as big as it is in GA. Lacrosse has made huge in roads here and is continuing to grow rapidly. At my high school more people went to lacrosse games than baseball games so I don't know if baseball is the same level as high school football, which is a religion here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM

101 posts, read 150,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Cincinnati is a baseball town. I don't think I know a single person that does not have at least one Reds article of clothing and people follow the team religiously. In fact, many students skip school on opening day to partake in the festivities.

That being said, at the high school level baseball probably is not as big as it is in GA. Lacrosse has made huge in roads here and is continuing to grow rapidly. At my high school more people went to lacrosse games than baseball games so I don't know if baseball is the same level as high school football, which is a religion here.
I think every kid growing up in Cincinnati has played on some type of baseball team, while much fewer have played football and even fewer have played lacrosse. I don't think anyone attends high-school baseball games unless you are one of the top teams and playing an important game. Lacrosse might have a slightly better turnout, but Ohio high school football is about as big as anywhere else (not including Texas).

Old 03-27-2013, 02:52 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,439,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8buckeye08 View Post
I think every kid growing up in Cincinnati has played on some type of baseball team, while much fewer have played football and even fewer have played lacrosse. I don't think anyone attends high-school baseball games unless you are one of the top teams and playing an important game. Lacrosse might have a slightly better turnout, but Ohio high school football is about as big as anywhere else (not including Texas).
I seldom read anything about HS lacrosse. I do read quite a bit about HS soccer, both girls and boys. The main reason why HS baseball is so woefully unattended, and also soccer, is due to when the games are played, afternoons and during the week. Compared to the Friday Night lock on HS football under the lights there is no comparisson far as fan ability to attend the games. I agree the only place where HS football has a more fanatical following is Texas. This is also attested to by how many of the big time colleges recruit heavily in the Cincinnati area.

HS soccer is gradually gaining more popularity, but considering how many participate in the youth soccer programs, far more than pee-wee football or little league baseball, soccer drops off at the high school level. School baseball teams also suffer due to the desire to get the season concluded by the time school lets out for the summer. With our often wet springs this makes for a short season.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 PM

42 posts, read 72,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
Well sports wise from a baseball standpoint Elder and Moeller are by far the two top high school programs in Cincinnati. Elder is on the west-side of Cincy though. Moeller is close to Blue Ash. The problem is both are private/catholic high schools.
I go to Moeller, and I agree with this.

Blue Ash all the way, or Montgomery (same area).

If you guys are looking at Eagles Point in Loveland, then you can afford Blue Ash/Montgomery.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 AM

213 posts, read 542,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I seldom read anything about HS lacrosse. I do read quite a bit about HS soccer, both girls and boys. The main reason why HS baseball is so woefully unattended, and also soccer, is due to when the games are played, afternoons and during the week. Compared to the Friday Night lock on HS football under the lights there is no comparisson far as fan ability to attend the games. I agree the only place where HS football has a more fanatical following is Texas. This is also attested to by how many of the big time colleges recruit heavily in the Cincinnati area.

HS soccer is gradually gaining more popularity, but considering how many participate in the youth soccer programs, far more than pee-wee football or little league baseball, soccer drops off at the high school level. School baseball teams also suffer due to the desire to get the season concluded by the time school lets out for the summer. With our often wet springs this makes for a short season.
You are dead on about the attendance for high school baseball. They are poorly attended because they are played are immediately after school on a weekday, but it is still a big deal here in Cincy. You'll get huge crowds even at those bad times for the elite programs like Elder and Moeller. Their Regional Final game last year at UC was sold out and people were standing outside the stadium just to watch and it was like a 5 PM game during the week.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 AM

2,359 posts, read 3,320,635 times
Heck, I played hooky to go to the Opening Day Parade and game on Monday ...my 2nd year hear, and so glad I got to experience it.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:53 PM

225 posts, read 376,573 times
OP,

Cincinnati has a plethora of highly competitive traveling baseball teams. I played for a very high level traveling team out of Dayton and we were constantly running into teams from Cincinnati. I am 31 so it has been a little while since I've played but these two were excellent organizations when I played.

Midland Redskins

Storm Club Baseball

Also, here is a list of teams in a select league in Cincinnati.

http://swol.leaguetime.com/l/league/teams

Cincinnati is a huge baseball town and the talent is excellent at all levels. I am sure you will be satisfied once you make inroads with a program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or