U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 05:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,662 times

Advertisements

Hello new neighbors!

I am moving with spouse and 4 yo boy to Cincinnati/N. KY area in May. Our long-term goal is to have 1-5 acres to raise vegetables and chickens, with possibility of a sheep or two. Wed like to rent first and buy later, but were ready to start establishing roots in the new area. What areas would you recommend for those looking to be hobby farmers?

Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry? Yes.

. What specific topic have you not found answers to? Where's a relatively close place for a family to have enough space for hobby farming? My work is near downtown, and I'd like to keep the commute at or under 45 minutes.

. Where is you current location and environment? Small city of 25,000 outside Raleigh-Durham, NC area
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? Prefer a town or township where we could eventually buy house and large lot for around $200K.

. Where will your work location be? Mt. Auburn area
. Maximum commute time desired? 45 minutes (but I could come to work in non-rush hours)

. What is you budget for housing? $800-1000
. Rent or buy? rent
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) prefer single-family, but open to other options; maximum price is $1000
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) 2-3 bed
. Other specifics? Allows pets. We dont have one yet, but will be looking when we move (probably a dog).

. Neighborhood environment?
. Family oriented
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more) (long term. Will rent first)
. Very safe, low crime area

. Schools? Safe, and not bottom-ofthe-barrel; were okay with mid-ranked schools, high-ranked schools would be a bonus.

. Community amenities? Has open spaces, farmers markets, and/or garden clubs; has 4-H or FFA.
. Specific wants/desires? Generally, a town/township in which we can buy a home with land, but its still within about 45 minutes of Mt Auburn area of Cincinnati. Prefer OH, but open to KY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 06:31 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,949,834 times
I grew up in the northwest part of Colerain Township in an area of six-acre lots with a lot of natural beauty. The immediate neighborhood where I lived is basically unchanged since the 1950s, and meets the description of what you're looking for. It's within your commute times. Finding a rental would be unlikely, though. Still something you might want to work with a realtor and investigate.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:32 AM

3,377 posts, read 3,693,454 times
Although I'm unable to provide specific information, I suggest that you look at the western portion of Cincinnati's Hamilton County, especially where I-74 and I-275 merge. This entire region (extending out to Harrison, Ohio, and northward to Ross, Ohio) is a hilly, scenic, and largely secluded and undeveloped part of the metro, dotted with many small tracts of land--yet its connection to I-74 into the city (and especially to Mt. Auburn) make a 45-minute commute feasible.

Also consider the city's western-most areas just above the Ohio River (past Covedale/Delhi, and extending out to Addyston). Very near and much the same as the aforementioned area, as far as small parcels of land. (Some independent-minded residents even consider this place a proverbial "God's Country," and in several ways it's easy to see why.)

Unfortunately, such a wide expanse of land spans many school districts, so I best leave comments about such to a another time. Best wishes to your family.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:29 PM

577 posts, read 1,003,907 times
I grew up in Ross and it is a nice area with plenty of land. My family still lives out there and it really hasn't changed since I was young. Depending on where you find a place, you are looking at a 30-45 minute commute. The closer you are to US 27, the easier the commute.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 AM

864 posts, read 1,196,523 times
I would also suggest Ross. There is plenty of land to be had, but also enough suburban development to not feel too terribly far away from things. Plus, the Ross school district is excellent.

Another area that I really like, although it would really be pushing your commute time, would be the Lawrenceburg/Aurora Indiana area. Those are some really neat little towns in a picturesque location, with plenty of farmland around. You would be in either the Lawrenceburg school district or South Dearborn district. An added bonus is that you would be about 15 minutes from the Perfect North ski slopes.

I'm sure there's some great options in Kentucky as well, I'm just not as familiar with the area.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
In KY suburban subdivision development is pushing property with land further and further south.

I second the recommendation of Ross. Good school district and still not so densely developed to obliviate the rural feel. Should be able to find the hobby farmer type property there, and as mentioned the closer to Route 27 the better for the commute.

Clermont Co. to the east is still quite rural overall but the eastern portion has been exploding in subdivisions. There are very few places for employment compared to the population and only a few main arteries (Routes 28, 131, and 32) so they are becoming quite conjested. My daughter's company is relocating to the Eastgate Area so she has been looking for housing thereabouts. She comments just how slow the traffic moves on these roads and is concerned if she buys there and then for some reason needs a different job the commute time to get anywhere else will be excessive. She estimates 30 minutes just to get to I-275 and then she is nowhere close to where a different job may be.

Western Hamilton Co. has been mentioned and should be considered. There is some vary attractive property in that portion of the county. The natural rolling and hilly terrain has been a detriment to mass development. This is just what a hobby farmer would desire, peaceful, picturesque, and tranquil surroundings. The trick is finding a property close enough to the I-275/I-74 interchange so that a direct shot along I-74 brings you into contact with the streets to Mt Auburn. You can venture as far west as Harrison Ohio and still be within 45 minutes of Mt Auburn providing the time to enter/exit I-74 is minimal.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 PM

528 posts, read 576,412 times
All good areas mentioned Colerain and Ross both have excellent schools and lots of areas like you desire. To be honest if you look at a map of the area you will see that I-275 circles the metro with I-75 running basically down the center. The most developed areas are to the north and south along the I-75 corridor. Any other areas just outside the loop should insure a 30-45 minute commute. Northern Kentucky and Southeast Indiana should also be included in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or