U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 08:00 AM

5 posts, read 16,054 times

Advertisements

First, so glad I found this place...did some searching and didn't find too much on school suggestions for special needs children.

It is almost a done deal that my DH will be getting a job at P&G in Ivorydale. We are originally from Dayton and have been trying to get back home to family for almost 10 years. I am somewhat familiar with Cincinnati, but not the schools. DH doesn't want more than a 1/2 hour commute from Ivorydale...but, the school will probably be a HUGE factor in where we decide to live. My son has an IEP and needs speech, OT, and PT, so we really want a school that has a great special needs program.

Any suggestions on school with great special needs programs? He is in 1st grade, and will probably need services for quite awhile. We will be looking for a house probably in the $150-$250K range...also, any suggestions for housing would be great appreciated.

Last edited by Marka; 10-30-2007 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: per request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 03:01 PM

83 posts, read 401,502 times
I am familiar with the Oak Hills school district and I would say that they have fantastic services/programs for special needs children. However it would seem that it may be further, than you would want, away from your job.

Oak Hills Local School District is located on the westside of Cincinnati and covers most of Delhi Township, Green Township and parts of the City of Cincinnati.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 AM

Sorry, I probably should have said that we don't have a preference right now on a location...DH just wants to be w/in about 1/2 of driving to Ivorydale...thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIsHome View Post
First, so glad I found this place...did some searching and didn't find too much on school suggestions for special needs children.

It is almost a done deal that my DH will be getting a job at P&G in Ivorydale. We are originally from Dayton and have been trying to get back home to family for almost 10 years. I am somewhat familiar with Cincinnati, but not the schools. DH is looking at the Deer Park/Blue Ash area as to not have a large commute to work (like he does here in Mass). But, the school will probably be a HUGE factor in where we decide to live. My son has an IEP and needs speech, OT, and PT, so we really want a school that has a great special needs program. My uncle has told me in the past (he lives in Shaker Heights), that the most expensive areas don't necessarily have the best programs...not sure if that is true...

Anyhow, any suggestions on school with great special needs programs? He is in 1st grade, and will probably need services for quite awhile (has a rare brain malformation, incomplete lissencephaly). We will be looking for a house probably in the $150-$250K range...

Thanks in advance!

Wendy

Old 10-28-2007, 08:14 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,177,534 times
I am not sure about the intervention services that will be offered in the schools in these areas. You can look into the private catholic schools, which I think are still really good in St.Bernard. My two nephews attended these schools years ago, and they were considered to be some of the finest in the area. If you are seeking a neighborhood within a 1/2 mile radius, you may want to look in St.Bernard, which by the way has some lovely homes and specific areas of North Avondale. Iffy neighborhoods are Winton Place (to close to Winton Terrace-which suffers from alot of social and environmental ills) and Elmwood, yet they both have areas which have nice small-midsize homes.

When talking to a realtor about homes in North Avondale for your price range, you want to look at homes off of Mitchell Avenue. St. Bernard and North Avondale share this street. On one side you have St. Bernard and the other side is North Avondale. Best bet is to stay closer to I-75 and not go any further than the middle of Mitchell Avenue. For streets in North Avondale check out West Park Drive, Mary Lane, Dickson, Parker Place, Ardmore, and Layman Drive for a house in your price range. There are some other streets around the ones I mentioned, but my memory fails me for now. You do not want anything on Lowry or Greenlee Avenue. Does not appear that these homes have been kept in good condition. You may find something nice on the greater end of your price range in Paddock Hills or Avon Fields, which are a 1/4-1 mile further out.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:08 AM

Thank you, but duh, I mean 1/2 hour of driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
I am not sure about the intervention services that will be offered in the schools in these areas. You can look into the private catholic schools, which I think are still really good in St.Bernard. My two nephews attended these schools years ago, and they were considered to be some of the finest in the area. If you are seeking a neighborhood within a 1/2 mile radius, you may want to look in St.Bernard, which by the way has some lovely homes and specific areas of North Avondale. Iffy neighborhoods are Winton Place (to close to Winton Terrace-which suffers from alot of social and environmental ills) and Elmwood, yet they both have areas which have nice small-midsize homes.

When talking to a realtor about homes in North Avondale for your price range, you want to look at homes off of Mitchell Avenue. St. Bernard and North Avondale share this street. On one side you have St. Bernard and the other side is North Avondale. Best bet is to stay closer to I-75 and not go any further than the middle of Mitchell Avenue. For streets in North Avondale check out West Park Drive, Mary Lane, Dickson, Parker Place, Ardmore, and Layman Drive for a house in your price range. There are some other streets around the ones I mentioned, but my memory fails me for now. You do not want anything on Lowry or Greenlee Avenue. Does not appear that these homes have been kept in good condition. You may find something nice on the greater end of your price range in Paddock Hills or Avon Fields, which are a 1/4-1 mile further out.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:40 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,177,534 times
Then you have a range of neighborhoods to choose from in the area, including the ones I mentioned. My mistake for being focused on seeing the 1/2 and neglecting to address it in the proper context regarding the time you wish to drive to work.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:33 PM

351 posts, read 1,686,075 times
You might want to look in to Princeton City Schools. Evendale elementary (which is on I-75 and is about half an hour from Ivorydale) has a special needs program. The school itself has been rebuilt in the past couple of years, and the student-teacher ratio in the Special Needs program. I subbed there a few times and was impressed by the caliber of teachers, the specialized programs, and the nurse they have on staff there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati