U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 PM

4 posts, read 7,837 times

Advertisements

All,

Just to give you a brief introduction, my name is Mike and i am currently graduating from drexel university in philadelphia in june. I have received an offer to work in Cincinnati and am trying to learn more about the city, over the past few days i have done extensive research, but have yet to receive direct advise from the source. I hope that you can help me gear my search of where to live or what to experience within cincinnati. I completed the survey i saw on this forum for some details about me.

Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry? yes, have found info, but nothing direct.
. What specific topic have you not found answers to?
topics relating to college graduates.

. Where is you current location and environment? the heart of philly. college atmosphere, fast paced, north east style.
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? i want to be able to remain active and meet people. but i dont want to be stuck in a college setting.

. Where will your work location be?
intersection of 75 and 275.
. Maximum commute time desired?
30 minutes

. What is you budget for housing? 1200/mo or 300,000
. Rent or buy? preferably rent at first. if interested in the city, buy later.
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) all of the above
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) minimum of 700 sq ft. relatively flexible.
. Other specifics? free parking would be a big factor.

. Neighborhood environment? basically all of what is shown below. i want to be within the city. and if not. close enough to be able to interact either in sports or nightlife.
. Urban, young professional, nightlife - i want to be in an area that is young and where i can interact with people my own age (college grad)
. Very safe, low crime area? this is important. i know i can defend myself, but id rather not have to.
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities

. Community amenities? - are there any football leagues or softball leagues i could join? i am very active in sports and would like to remain that way.
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs - would like this
. Close proximity to public transportation? - would like this

thank you all in advance for your help. hopefully this will help me get a good start to my new midwest lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 10:56 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,601 times
Clifton (Gaslight), Mt. Adams, Over-the-Rhine, Prospect Hill, or Northside.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,727,944 times
first, congrats on the new job and welcome to cincinnati.

i like clifton (gaslight -- this word is important) for a nice area but also, importantly, a decent commute up to 75/275.

hyde park, mt lookout, and oakley are full of recent college grads that desire for a safe neighborhood in the city. definitely check these places out. the commute will be less convenient compared with clifton gaslight but if you can position yourself in oakley, you will have quick access to 562 (the norwood lateral) via marburg/ridge road (soon to be via the new kennedy connector).

clifton and oakley/hyde park feel very different. clifton has an artistic/cademic/coffee house vibe and nearby northside has an edgier artist/hipster vibe. oakley/hyde park are more traditional yuppy neighborhoods, with oakley having the edge on cool.

there are sports leagues going on all the time (see Athletics - Cincinnati Recreation Commission ). people here love sports -- both playing and watching.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:14 AM

133 posts, read 154,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Clifton (Gaslight), Mt. Adams, Over-the-Rhine, Prospect Hill, or Northside.

These are good suggestions. Here's my ranking as a YP 1 year out of college:

1. Mt. Adams- young professional vibe with some very "cool" older folks mixed in. Easily walkable bar district, restaurants, and convenience store, lots of active people around. Very close to 2 parks. Very close to bar districts in OTR (over the rhine) and downtown. Relatively low crime, provided you don't leave a computer bag in plain sight in your car after you park it. Has a fun vibe. There's a bus that takes you to the sporting events, which are walkable anyways. I lived here first, then moved down town because I found an awesome single apartment.

2. Downtown- Fitness clubs with a pool will be a 3-5 mile drive. Provided you live in buildings like The Renaissance, the Banks, and 4th and Race apartment buildings you will be in a very safe place with great amenities, tons of young professionals, with lots of restaurants and convenience stores in walking distance. Downside? You will need to drive to parks, which are a quick 5-10min drive depending on which one you go to. Bar district is fun and you're extremely close to OTR and Mt. Adams should you decide to switch it up a little. Great access to sporting venues! Venture outside of these areas and you'll meet a rougher side of town, but in the down town area its very gradual and obvious when you're entering a bad area.

3. Hyde Park- yuppy-ish, lots of active people around, a little bit slower paced. If you live near the square, plenty of restaurants, bars, and convenience stars. More car-centric and less dense. A very viable option, but farther away from the other bar districts and a certain drive to sports venues.

4. Oakleigh- a little bit more edgy than Hyde Park, but similar in my opinion.

I'm going to stop there, because the crime in the other places mentioned don't seem to fit you. Clifton comes close but might is too close to University of Cincinnati. Northside is too much $$$ in cab rides if you like to go out and not where most YP's live.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:31 AM

Thank you all for the posts, These are a few areas i narrowed it down to. Im actually going to be visiting the area before i accept, so i will make sure i check out these places.

one this that was never specifically mentioned. how is the public transportation system? as far as i have read, there is none. Other than busses to the sports venues, i havent seen anything mentioned. Are there any downtwn apartments that are close to public transit, where i can go anywhere quickly?

Also, as far as my research has shown, there is no distinct line between good and bad parts of cincinnati. everything seems to kinda merge together. i feel like that cant be entirely true. What is the overall layout o what places i should avoid, especially since i am going to be touring cincinnati like a chicken with my head cut off sometime in the near future.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 AM

133 posts, read 154,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.oake View Post
Thank you all for the posts, These are a few areas i narrowed it down to. Im actually going to be visiting the area before i accept, so i will make sure i check out these places.

one this that was never specifically mentioned. how is the public transportation system? as far as i have read, there is none. Other than busses to the sports venues, i havent seen anything mentioned. Are there any downtwn apartments that are close to public transit, where i can go anywhere quickly?

Also, as far as my research has shown, there is no distinct line between good and bad parts of cincinnati. everything seems to kinda merge together. i feel like that cant be entirely true. What is the overall layout o what places i should avoid, especially since i am going to be touring cincinnati like a chicken with my head cut off sometime in the near future.
Cool. Shoot me a private message if I can be of any assistance. I also forgot to add Mt. Lookout as a place you might like- similar to Oakleigh.

There's bus stops everywhere downtown. Here's the website: Cincinnati Metro - Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority - Home. Cinci will be getting a streetcar system in 2015-2016, a way's off but the initial movement has begun.

And there really isn't a distinct line between the good and bad parts of cinci in my opinion. This city is very neighborhood-based which took me a long time to get used to. I'm sure this will annoy some of the other members on this forum, but you can probably write off westside Cincinnati based on your interests. You may want to invest in a real estate agent. There is a steep learning curve to this city and a real estate agent was a giant help. In some neighborhoods (say, OTR for example) you will very abruptly hit areas you wish you hadn't if you don't know where you're going.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 AM

public transportation if you live in the city, are commuting downtown, and work something resembling a 9-5 job is pretty decent. there is a system of express buses that are quite popular. the regular buses are okay if you are on a major line. clifton has substantially better public transit access compared with hyde park/oakley.

the east side of the city is generally wealthier. the central clump also contains a lot of wealth but is interspersed with rougher areas. the west side (generally west of i-75 but more specifically west of the mill creek and/or vine street) was traditionally the more working class area, but most deep-rooted west-siders have abandoned the city for outlying townships, leaving troubled neighborhoods behind. there are positive green shoots on the west side, but nothing resembling a safe, higher income, young professional area.

even our roughest areas are pretty small potatoes compared with some of the troubled neighborhoods of the east coast and chicago.

another note - cincinnati is one of the more neighborhood-focused cities in the country. if you're looking into a place, make sure you know what neighborhood it is in, and then use that for your frame of reference. if the description says it is 'this neighborhood / this other neighborhood' generally the place is in the "less desirable" of the two neighborhoods and the other is used for marketing purposes. (e.g. norwood / hyde park means norwood, corryville / clifton means corryville, etc)

Last edited by progmac; 04-04-2013 at 09:10 AM..

Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,013,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.oake View Post
. Where is you current location and environment? the heart of philly. college atmosphere, fast paced, north east style.
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change? i want to be able to remain active and meet people. but i dont want to be stuck in a college setting.

. Where will your work location be?
intersection of 75 and 275.
. Maximum commute time desired?
30 minutes

. What is you budget for housing? 1200/mo or 300,000
. Rent or buy? preferably rent at first. if interested in the city, buy later.
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family) all of the above
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths) minimum of 700 sq ft. relatively flexible.
. Other specifics? free parking would be a big factor.

. Neighborhood environment? basically all of what is shown below. i want to be within the city. and if not. close enough to be able to interact either in sports or nightlife.
. Urban, young professional, nightlife - i want to be in an area that is young and where i can interact with people my own age (college grad)
. Very safe, low crime area? this is important. i know i can defend myself, but id rather not have to.
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities

. Community amenities? - are there any football leagues or softball leagues i could join? i am very active in sports and would like to remain that way.
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs - would like this
. Close proximity to public transportation? - would like this

thank you all in advance for your help. hopefully this will help me get a good start to my new midwest lifestyle.
Hi michael.oake--

I'm surprised nobody's recommended living closer to your work. Since you said the intersection of 75 and 275, I'm going to assume you're talking about Sharonville, Fairfield, or West Chester. While you won't find much in the way of city life in there (West Chester being about as suburban as it gets), you would be greatly afforded a more convenient commute than if you lived in Downtown, Clifton, or OTR or any neighborhood immediately surrounding Downtown.

I-75, due to traffic and especially construction around Mitchell Ave. (and will be under construction for some decades to come due to the Thru the Valley project) would be a bear to drive in either direction - although it's only geographically 10-15 miles from your work to downtown, you'd take the full 30 minutes each way most likely.

As far as public transportation goes, it's pretty lacking outside the I-275 loop. SORTA is no SEPTA, and currently is limited exclusively to bus lines. The streetcar will serve a miniscule area between Downtown and OTR, it won't have any effect on your drive to your job.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:32 AM

hensleya1 - one of the min reasons why the focus has been on downtown and surrounding neighborhoods is because i still want t remain active. if there is a downtown feel in a northern suburb close t work id be all ears, but as far as i hknow / have been told that isnt the way of life in the cincinnati suburbs.

Also, rent seems to be ridiculously cheap (comparing to philly). do you feel that it is a complete waste of money to be spending anywhere near 1000/mo on an apartment? i know some of the big name apartment buildings can run to 1100/mo. although that is what i expected to pay in philly, i would like to keep costs down as much as possible. from what i see hyde park is roughly 700/mo. similarly downtown and parts of oakley are in the high 600's for an apartment. Are my numbers off? and what is the quality of these apartments compared to the top of the line apartment buildings in cincinnati? basically in a nutshell, whats the big deal about those?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
Hi michael.oake--

I'm surprised nobody's recommended living closer to your work. Since you said the intersection of 75 and 275, I'm going to assume you're talking about Sharonville, Fairfield, or West Chester.
from OP
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati