Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 11:59 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
I think Dayton has more to worry about than a streetcar in another city.
Yep. Perhaps the hen could actually come up with something constructive to help save a dying city...but instead, he comes through the Cincy forums (a city that's making measurable progress in becoming stable and vibrant) and tries with all his might to put Cincy down. And he thinks the streetcar is fail? His anti-Cincinnati posts are fail.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
^ TJ123, may I ask you one very simple question? Exactly what is it about "The Hen" that you don't understand? For all purposes, he's a living, breathing embodiment of hatred towards Cincinnati.

Maybe deep down, this critic harbors resentment towards a metro twice the size and far more successful than Dayton, but he really doesn't realize that if both cities combined their strengths (rather than merely their weaknesses), CIN-DAY would become a nationally and internationally-recognized MSA reality that would benefit both. Therefore, at this point, I don't know whether to laugh at or hate this fellow for the damage he continues to inflict upon our two cities (Cincinnati directly; Dayton by default).

Old 04-19-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ TJ123, may I ask you one very simple question? Exactly what is it about "The Hen" that you don't understand? For all purposes, he's a living, breathing embodiment of hatred towards Cincinnati.
True dat.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:56 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Amen Tom.

I can't believe anyone would actually be cheering on the failure of such an ambitious and expensive project, especially when they claim to be oh so concerned about Cincinnati's finances. Pathetic.
The vitriol that comes from the anti-rail crowd sometimes seems pathological, yet they are the same people who disappear when $22 million doesn't even cover filling potholes on a city's roads each spring.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The vitriol that comes from the anti-rail crowd sometimes seems pathological, yet they are the same people who disappear when $22 million doesn't even cover filling potholes on a city's roads each spring.
Yep, pathological and hypocritical.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:18 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
They're also the same lunatics who never utter a peep when billions - with a B - are spent re-configuring highway interchanges or adding unnecessary highway lanes in the suburbs. To call these villains delusional is an insult to delusional people.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
The streetcar will be the panacea for all of the ills of Cincinnati. It will bring development, jobs, prestige, and peace and it will chase away all of the poverty, drugs, gun violence, and premarital sex that curses our fair city. Anyone who is not willing to take a bullet so that the streetcar may live is selfish and delusional. Merely sitting on the tracks has been known to cure hemorrhoids. The estimated 15 trillion dollars of economic impact should more than offset the minimal cost of the construction and operation- in fact the construction companies really should build the thing for free because the family of anyone involved in building of the streetcar is promised seven generations of prosperity by the lord in heaven.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:19 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,392,577 times
Frankly I am amazed when cities push for streetcars, what a wastew of money and drain on taxpayers. Who actually is going to use this trolley? The mayor of Charlotte actually pushed for streetcar and the Republican Governor (the former 4 term CLT Mayor) reprimanded him and threatened to hold back some tax money on our light rail. Now it looks like the current Mayor will be appointed Barack's Dept. of Transportation head...go figure

Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 PM

682 posts, read 1,629,402 times
A friend of mine sells real estate in Seattle, she was telling me that 250K will get you a 500 square foot cottage not downtown or a studio apartment in the urban area and a 'real' house starts at 1Mil.

There is also a reality that in spite of them having a streetcar there are more and more cars on the road there and they have some of the most restrictive anti growth , building policies.

I don't buy the argument that people are going to get rid of their cars. I mean if you look at those living in downtown Indianapolis (which has a vibrant urban core) even with a first rate downtown grocery (they are building a second) and a real downtown shopping mall and lots of other retail shopping and restaurants, it would be 'rare' to find a condo or house selling in downtown Indy without a minimum 2 parking spaces or a garage. Every house I restored when I was in Indy, the first thing you needed to do, if you wanted to sell it, was to build a two car garage, prefferably a 3 car. Indy also has an extensive urban bike lane system which goes out to the suburbs and a cultural trail that links all the downtown areas. No matter how "Urban" you are, real people, still need a car. Empty nesters will want to visit their kids, go to a doctor (who probably doesnt live downtown).

Even when I lived in downtown Charleston SC, I still needed a car because you just can't get everthing you need in any downtown urban environment. The same when I lived in downtown Louisville. I'm not saying that better local urban transportation is a bad idea, I just wished they had concentrated first on a method to get people in and out of downtown effectively.

I wish the pro-anti streetcar people would realize that this has to get resolved, and quickly. But I do think some are seriously overestimating the 'value' of the streetcar, but one thing is for sure, if the city wants to be taken seriously you need resolution.

With this being an election year my guess that this 'issue' will be here as those running for office see some value in it as a campaign platform either for it or against it.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
With this being an election year my guess that this 'issue' will be here as those running for office see some value in it as a campaign platform either for it or against it.
Yep. Big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati