U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:37 AM

32 posts, read 63,000 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the following property. They say it's suburb of Cincinnati. Is it pretty clean and middle class. Is it in a totally destitute location with no gas or shopping or is it pretty decent?

S College Ave & Foxfire Dr
Oxford, OH 45056

Last edited by cdy17; 04-24-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,918 times
Not sure Oxford is a suburb of Cincinnati.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 AM

Hi, Tom:

Are you familiar with Oxford at all though. I might still consider it if it's a nice, safe clean area. I have a small child and want to stay wherever I move to for several years if possible until he can talk and say, "Mom I want to move" or "Mom I don't want to move."

Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,918 times
No, never even been there. I would try the Ohio forum. You may get a better response there, though some Cincinnati posters may be able to help out. Best of luck.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 AM

101 posts, read 149,392 times
It's a small college, relatively pretty rural college town. I think the university population is greater than the local population (less than affectionally called townies).

The crime issues in the area are essentially from stupid college students being stupid college students (so public intoxication, DUI's, and some narcotic), but I'm guessing there is very little violent or property crime there. Unless you are getting a job in Oxford, there are probably more interesting places to live.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:37 AM

31,164 posts, read 57,288,199 times
Oxford is a college town, home of Miami University. No doubt most of the crime there is the usual college student bullcrap (not that I would know anything about that ... ). There's nothing much around it for 10-15 miles or so other than farms and small hamlets.

Look at the area on Google's Streetview: Do you see a lot of trash on the streets? Are there any pieces of upholstered furniture on the front porches, or bikes in the front yard? Those are signs of a student neighborhood. Unless you're student, you probably don't want to live amongst them.

"They" are wrong in saying that Oxford is a suburb of Cincinnati; Oxford is one of those "you can't get there from here" places about 30 miles northwest of Cincinnati via a two-lane highway nicknamed "The Highway to Heaven" for all the accidents that have occurred on the road.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 04-24-2013 at 10:47 AM..

Old 04-24-2013, 11:12 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
cdy17...

Don't know how you stumbled on Oxford in the first place. As others have said it is certainly NOT a suburb of Cincinnati. It is a small, rural college town, home of Miami University of Ohio, and near the Indiana border.

Oxford is a pleasant enough town, what I call a rural college town. In Ohio it would be comparable to Athens in the Southeast portion of the state, home of Ohio University. But anyway you want to discuss it, it is a small college town.

If you were just browsing Cincinnati area real estate, you are too far out. If there is some other reason let us know.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 AM

Well, i'm trying to get out of a nice but expensive hotel and don't make much more than the hotel costs. So I can't save for first months and security deposit. The place in Oxford will allow me to pay weekly throughout the summer since it's vacant I think during the summer. Then I would have a few months to get back on my feet and sign a lease when the school year started for them. I found it during a "weekly" or "per week" search on CL. I'm in the Ohio area and was looking at that place and a place in Troy Ohio. I'm not particular to Oxford. I work from home so I can go anywhere that is a good healthy location for my son and affordable for us, since we will only have a certain amount available to move in.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy17 View Post
Well, i'm trying to get out of a nice but expensive hotel and don't make much more than the hotel costs. So I can't save for first months and security deposit. The place in Oxford will allow me to pay weekly throughout the summer since it's vacant I think during the summer. Then I would have a few months to get back on my feet and sign a lease when the school year started for them. I found it during a "weekly" or "per week" search on CL. I'm in the Ohio area and was looking at that place and a place in Troy Ohio. I'm not particular to Oxford. I work from home so I can go anywhere that is a good healthy location for my son and affordable for us, since we will only have a certain amount available to move in.
That makes a lot of sense. If you are not concerned about a commute distance, time or cost, I would say Oxford may very well fit your needs. As an overall town it it fine, since most of the permanent residents support the college. If you end up there let us know. Sounds to me as simething which may fit your needs.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:10 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,021 times
As a former Oxford resident (Miami student), there is no place in Oxford that is unsafe. The location you are looking at is just a few blocks from the main campus to the northeast, and just a few blocks west is the biggest shopping plaza in town. You could walk to either quite easily. As mentioned above, your biggest worry will probably be 19 year olds with a case of Natty Light on Friday nights...or was that Tuesday? No, maybe Thursday...aw, hell, it was any given night of the week!

Last edited by t45209; 04-24-2013 at 05:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati