U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 AM

294 posts, read 406,456 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the commercial building sitting between Reading Road, Section Road and Brookcrest ? Seems substantial and intact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 AM

71 posts, read 109,390 times
I just looked it up on Bing maps and remember that place as having a number of small retail shops and offices in it back in the early 90's.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 AM

But it looks original, perhaps 1920's ?

Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 AM

71 posts, read 109,390 times
I can't comment on when it was built since I moved here in '89. I haven't been through that part of town in well over a decade. What is the deal? Is it vacant and for sale or just abandoned?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:14 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,940,533 times
That building is known as the Roselawn Center Building. I'd hazard a guess that it was constructed sometime around the 1940's, as was much of the neighborhood surrounding it except for the older brick-box apartment houses lining Reading Rd.

My connection to the building is that my pediatrician had his office on the second floor, on the Brookcrest side, until his practice grew and a then-new building about a mile up Reading Rd beckoned. Few ground-floor spaces were vacant when I drove around it during a return visit to Cincinnati last fall. But, reflective of Roselawn itself, the nature of the businesses has changed over time. The anchor retailer is a dollar store at the Reading/Section corner. Smaller parts of the building which front on Reading Rd house a bar called Nephews and a ribs/BBQ take-out place. At least one barber/beauty shop for each gender calls it their address, as does the Gospel Coffee Shop, and also the Song Long Vietnamese restaurant with its devoted following from throughout Greater Cincinnati. Among other tenants of the upper floor is a dental practice, so the structure is still a place where some people can go for at least one aspect of their health care.

One of the empty street-level business spaces was most recently home to a shop called Chapeau Creations. It formed the basis for one of my favorite stories about humans adapting to situations. When a Jewish milliner first hung out her shingle the community was heavily populated by folks who shared her background. Hats were also fashionable for women at the time (the '50s.) As the decades passed, ladies' hats mostly went out of style. And in Roselawn the population began slowly and steadily shifting so that Jews were no longer the majority. (By the '90s the proportion of White people had shrunk to approximately 20% and has stayed at roughly that.) The milliner, faced with the writing on the wall and passing some days with no customers, was thinking about calling it quits. BUT...anything can change at any time. One sunny afternoon, an AA woman of a certain age walked in. "Do you make church hats?" The answer was yes - once the milliner was schooled on what was meant by "church hat." Delighted with the result of her design input, the church lady was the center of attention at services when she wore it. Chapeau Creations went from being "dead in the water" to being deluged with new business. All it took was for the owner to be open to the concept of drawing up and sewing church hats instead of sensible headgear for wearing to a synagogue. My hunch from seeing brown paper over the store windows (with the "Chapeau Creations" awning still in place) is that she must've died or been forced for health reasons to retire.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:52 AM

I love the anecdote about the millner. My great grandmother was the first lady millner in the city of Boston at the turn of the century.

What is the difference between a synagogue and a temple ? I imagine it must be the same as cathederall, bascillica, church or chapel in that they denote size and importance.

I am mesmerized by The former Hadath Isreal on Reading Road.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:37 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,520,060 times
Pretty sure synagogue and temple are used interchangeably, though it's possible there is, or at one time was, supposed to be a distinction.

Have you seen Plum Street Temple downtown? If not, it's worth a quick streetview session (or image search).

Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 AM

yes, the Plum Street temple is quite stunning, too.

I can't believe the congregations sold the se buildings.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:45 PM

874 posts, read 1,029,736 times
Basically, the Orthodox Jews have a problem with the Reform Jews calling their place of worship a synagogue, and so the Reform places often have Temple in their name because of that.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM

Thanks for solving that for me dxdtemon !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati