U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 03:07 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,806,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
The difference is now Ohio liquor stores are state licensed, but not state operated. Some years back the stores were state operated, that is the employees were all employees of the state. They finally wised up and quit that, going to just licensing independently owned stores. The independents have a little better hours, usually 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM. However, the state does set the prices.
Hmm, when did they stop they state-owned thing? I didn't know they did.

Quote:
Where can I confirm any large scale operations such as Jungle Jim's or Kroger have Ohio state licensed liquor sales?
Took me almost no searching at all.
Jungle Jim's International Market
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 03:08 PM

4,046 posts, read 5,677,629 times
Quote:
Hey Senior Slick. Where can I confirm any large scale operations such as Jungle Jim's or Kroger have Ohio state licensed liquor sales?
I remember when I lived in NW Ohio there was a state liquor store in the Kroger located in Sidney.

Kroger's - Sidney, OH - Reviews - BeerAdvocate

Quote:
A large grocery store with lots of space for beer & wine. They have an enclosed wine cooler and a state liquor store inside
Also Wagner's IGA in Minster:

Wagner's IGA | Beer

Quote:
Wagner’s IGA is also a State Liquor Store!
Same was true with Howell's IGA in New Bremen, except they recently closed.

Obviously, IGAs are not really large scale in the way Jungle Jim's is, but the Sidney Kroger is a good example.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:29 PM

172 posts, read 237,616 times
Quote:
Hey Senior Slick. Where can I confirm any large scale operations such as Jungle Jim's or Kroger have Ohio state licensed liquor sales? Ohio is not Illinois or other states where I know you can purchase liquor at the local Walgreen's. I am not doubting you (yes I am), just give me a source to confirm liquor sales in Ohio via large scale retail outlets. I just find it hard to accept as the high profit booze industry has had a monopoly here on liquor sales (particularly profits). The Kroger I go to sells a large volume of beer and vine and also handles watered-down booze. But straight liquor sales they do not have though I am sure they would leap on it if permitted.
kj.......the liquor stores in JJ's and Kroger are state liquor stores. You can jump on their websites and see that they have liquor stores....or better yet....drive over to Jungle's and pick up a bottle of hooch.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:50 PM

123 posts, read 129,892 times
Well this has become a very interesting thread.

Does anyone have any advice/experience for living in the "warehouse district"? It seems to be located about 3 miles outside of downtown between Northside and Clifton. Good area? There seem to be some nice new lofts out that way.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:59 PM

40,029 posts, read 70,751,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Fortunately, there is Kentucky.
I can't tell you how much I love this sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattolson View Post
Well this has become a very interesting thread.
Yeah, don't mind us; we tend to go off topic 10 or 12 times per thread. I learn a lot that way, though, whether I wanted to learn it or not.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:00 PM

Speaking of liquor and Kentucky, don't forget to hit up the Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar. It's in the Mainstrasse district in Covington.

I don't know what you mean by a Warehouse District between Northside and Clifton. The only thing I know of between Northside and Clifton is the Mill Creek. There are some old factories in Northside and Spring Grove Village. The only one I know of that has housing is the American Can Lofts in Northside.

Also, the only Warehouse District I know of (going by that name) is in Cleveland, not Cincy.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Speaking of liquor and Kentucky, don't forget to hit up the Old Kentucky Bourbon Bar. It's in the Mainstrasse district in Covington.

I don't know what you mean by a Warehouse District between Northside and Clifton. The only thing I know of between Northside and Clifton is the Mill Creek. There are some old factories in Northside and Spring Grove Village. The only one I know of that has housing is the American Can Lofts in Northside.

Also, the only Warehouse District I know of (going by that name) is in Cleveland, not Cincy.
I don't know, I'm going by what Craigslist tells me... here is an example: Downtown 1BR/1-1/2Bath Loft Apt.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 AM

That's way too much money for that location. It's in the middle of nothing, adjacent to ghetto.

If it were cheap, I'd say probably it wouldn't be for me, but it has some redeeming qualities, as you can bike around easily and it's near a few bus lines. But at that price it's a hell-to-the-no-effing-way.

Also, "warehouse district" seems to be something they made up to market the place. But I guess it's not a misnomer, given where it is. It's between Camp Washington and the West End. You'd have to go through the entire length of Camp Washington up Spring Grove before you get to Northside.

I should point out that locations on maps are not necessarily what they seem, due to topography. For instance, to the east of that location is a ginormous hill. It looks like you're pretty close to the university, but you effectively are closer to places downtown. Though you can drive up there pretty quickly.

Last edited by natininja; 05-11-2013 at 12:12 AM..

Old 05-11-2013, 12:18 AM

Looking at the website for that apartment building, I see this:

"Plans for the surrounding area, including the West End Comprehensive Plan, envision a "Loft District" that would turn vacant industrial properties into residential apartments mixed with commercial studio, office, and limited retail and commercial spaces."

So I guess there's some long-term plan to develop a residential district there. Frankly, I'm not holding my breath. Not that it won't happen, but certainly not in the next 5 years. The warehouse district appears to be an idea in the West End Comprehensive Plan. And it gives a luxury loft building something to say other than "West End", lol. Which would not be a selling point to basically anyone.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:35 AM

I'm probably only going to be in Cinci a max of two years so that seems like a reach. I never thought renting/finding an apartment would be so tough, majority are rented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati