Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 05:30 AM

82 posts, read 238,662 times

Advertisements

Where did you move from? and why?
What do you like / not like about area?
Anyone moved from the Medina, Ohio area? (akron/cleveland) How does it compare?
If you could move anywhere in the US, where would you move...and why?
Thanks for any input......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 06:25 PM

224 posts, read 376,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
Where did you move from? and why?
What do you like / not like about area?
Anyone moved from the Medina, Ohio area? (akron/cleveland) How does it compare?
If you could move anywhere in the US, where would you move...and why?
Thanks for any input......
I moved to Cincinnati from Michigan twice, most recently 19 years ago. I have lived in a lot of places in the area - downtown (Betts-Longworth), Loveland, Milford, Pierce Township, Georgetown, and now Lebanon. For most of my time here I have commuted to a job downtown.

I came to the area the first time for a job, and returned because my wife (a native Cincinnatian) wanted to come home. I really don't dislike anything about Lebanon or greater Cincinnati. We have been happy here. We are old house renovators and spend most of our free time doing projects at home, so the social scene and entertainment options in an area don't mean so much to us, but I do like being able to catch an occasional baseball game or attend a concert or festival, and there is enough of that around here to suit us.

My original town (Jackson, MI) has been in decline for a long time. I'd like to have stayed, but our prospects were much better here. The weather in southern Ohio is much better generally than I grew up with, and that's a plus too. People here are no worse than Michiganders, or people anywhere, so that's a wash.

If we were to leave this area it would be to retire somewhere in the mid-South where winters would be a bit warmer and the growing season longer.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 AM

189 posts, read 309,047 times
I moved to Cincinnati in '89 after graduating from college in Illinois, because I found a good paying job here. In the early 90's I was laid off and considered returning to Illinois, but decided there were more job opportunities here, and found other work soon enough.

I like living in a city that is large enough to have just about everything. Night life, culture, a major airport, etc. However it isn't such a big city as to be overwhelming and expensive, such as Chicago or New York.

What I don't like is that Cincy seems to be behind the times on certain things. I won't elaborate here because we'd just get off topic.

I have lived in Sharonville, Reading, and Oakley. All were good places to live at the time and I chose those areas because they were affordable and close to where I was working at those times. In all those neighborhoods I rented.

When it came to buying houses I've lived in Batavia and now the Milford area. I feel I get more for my money in Clermont County and enjoy the somewhat rural atmosphere.

Christopher

Last edited by blickcd; 05-13-2013 at 08:31 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 08:04 AM

133 posts, read 204,974 times
Where did you move from? and why? Atlanta. Moved here for my job.
What do you like / not like about area? Like the history, redevelopment, and neighborhoods. Do not like the lack of diversity.
If you could move anywhere in the US, where would you move...and why? Washington D.C. Love that city.
Thanks for any input.....

Old 05-13-2013, 12:08 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
I moved to Cincinnati in '89 after graduating from college in Illinois, because I found a good paying job here. In the early 90's I was laid off and considered returning to Illinois, but decided there were more job opportunities here, and found other work soon enough.

I like living in a city that is large enough to have just about everything. Night life, culture, a major airport, etc. However it isn't such a big city as to be overwhelming and expensive, such as Chicago or New York.

What I don't like is that Cincy seems to be behind the times on certain things. I won't elaborate here because we'd just get off topic.

I have lived in Sharonville, Reading, and Oakley. All were good places to live at the time and I chose those areas because they were affordable and close to where I was working at those times. In all those neighborhoods I rented.

When it came to buying houses I've lived in Batavia and now the Milford area. I feel I get more for my money in Clermont County and enjoy the somewhat rural atmosphere.

Christopher
Interesting that you chose Clermont Co. to buy. Many years have gone by but I chose Warren Co./Mason for the same reason. Mason is not as rural as it once was, we originally had cows off our back yard, but we still like the openness of the land around us. The newer subdivisions are much more dense, but that is to be expected when the profit motive steps in.

Not sure what you are alluding to relative to Cincinnati being behind. In my opinion it is only behind in very undesirable areas to live. But I am prejudiced as I was born here.

The one thing I absolutely agree with is size. Big enough to support just about any sport, cultural, or educational pursuit desired. But not so big things get buried. I can still get to about anywhere in the Cincinnati area in 30 minutes from my house.

My FIL, myself, and my son are all graduates of UC Engineering Co-op program, far as I am concerned one of the best educational systems ever devised. I have a wife, brother, niece, and daughter who are also UC grads, College of Business Administration. One of the reasons I love Cincinnati, is none of us graduated with a student loan. And one of the reasons why even as a alumni I refuse to contribute to the current program as they seem to thnk it is normal for a graduate to have staggering loans.

Somewhere along the line they lost their focus. AndI feel that way about most universities/colleges in the US. They all seem to be looking to the government to underwrite their horribly expensive cost of education.

This past week, I was discussing with my brother about a HS in Pennsylvania which has gone back to the vocational form of learning. Their current graduates are starting out with a journeyman machinist status. Straight out of HS they are securing jobs at a start of $46/hr. Why, because there are no machinists to hire today due to the fall of manufacturing in the US. But those who need machinistss need them. My brother and I agreed, compared to figures like $200,000 for a 4-year degree, go to a 4-year vocational HS where companies needing your talents will either pay your tuition or hire you part time.

The whole idea about a neighborhood boils down to; (1) Can you support your family? (2) As your family ages can you keep up? (3) We all struggle with this. (4) But what are your ideas to beat it down ?

Old 05-14-2013, 07:47 PM

71 posts, read 81,219 times
Where did you move from? and why? I moved here about 6 weeks ago. I had been temporarily living in Florida, which is where my family is based, after getting laid off from my job in Atlanta. Had lived in Atlanta for almost two years. I moved here because I was offered a job in the area.
What do you like / not like about area? As a 20-something professional from the South, Cincinnati is definitely not a place I ever envisioned myself living. I've found it incredibly hard to meet people my age because most everyone I meet is from the area and has been hanging out with the same people since high school (or even elementary school in some cases). I hate that it has a very small town feel, despite it being a metro area of 2 million people. I like the topography (all the hills) and the low cost of living.
If you could move anywhere in the US, where would you move...and why? I'd either move to Denver, Nashville, or Charleston, SC. I love how outdoorsy Denver is, since I enjoy hiking, white water rafting, etc. I would move to Nashville because it's an incredibly fun city and everyone is ridiculously friendly there. I also love live music, particularly country music. I'd move to Charleston, SC because I was born there and absolutely adore everything about the city. Lowcountry scenery, the history, the cuisine, the abundance of fresh seafood, the shopping, all of it.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:07 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,907,657 times
^ Hope things get better for you. Have you checked out the country bars at the Banks? Tin Roof and Toby Keith?

Old 05-15-2013, 06:03 AM

133 posts, read 204,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprtsJunkie88 View Post
Where did you move from? and why? I moved here about 6 weeks ago. I had been temporarily living in Florida, which is where my family is based, after getting laid off from my job in Atlanta. Had lived in Atlanta for almost two years. I moved here because I was offered a job in the area.
What do you like / not like about area? As a 20-something professional from the South, Cincinnati is definitely not a place I ever envisioned myself living. I've found it incredibly hard to meet people my age because most everyone I meet is from the area and has been hanging out with the same people since high school (or even elementary school in some cases). I hate that it has a very small town feel, despite it being a metro area of 2 million people. I like the topography (all the hills) and the low cost of living.
If you could move anywhere in the US, where would you move...and why? I'd either move to Denver, Nashville, or Charleston, SC. I love how outdoorsy Denver is, since I enjoy hiking, white water rafting, etc. I would move to Nashville because it's an incredibly fun city and everyone is ridiculously friendly there. I also love live music, particularly country music. I'd move to Charleston, SC because I was born there and absolutely adore everything about the city. Lowcountry scenery, the history, the cuisine, the abundance of fresh seafood, the shopping, all of it.
What a coincidence. I was born in Charleston, SC (stayed there for 10 years) myself and came here from Atlanta- I also never envisioned myself living here. I went to college in Nashville (graduated in 2012) and can completely agree with your sentiments on that city. However if you think Cincinnati has a small town feel...

Sounds like you may be living in the wrong part of the city. There are definitely a ton of Cincinnati-lifers out there who love discussing high schools. That being said, I can say that out of my entire group of friends only one of us is from Cincinnati. Start going to some happy hours or join a sports club or...anything that our age group is involved in. You'll meet transplants pretty quickly.

Hope things start to turn up for you.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:53 AM

224 posts, read 297,079 times
Been here for 20 years, grew up in a small town within an hour's drive of here, so I was a little familiar with Cincy when I moved here. I came here after college because of having some family in the area and b/c of the lower cost of living compared to places like Chicago. I live in "Loveland Near," as my description says, lol.

I liked Cincinnati better many years ago than I do now. Some of that is probably just that I was single many years ago, didn't have to worry about things like which school district I lived in, and Cincy was a relatively new scene for me then.

Today, I think part of it is I've just been here a heckuva long time now. And as I said in another recent thread, I don't like most aspects of living in the 'burbs. I don't know how much of that is Cincinnati specific vs. generally not liking the suburbs, as I have never lived in another metro area's suburbs. In my corner of suburbia, I find a fair number of people to be standoff-ish or just difficult to get to know. It'd be nice if more people around here could just lighten up a bit.

Like someone else said, it is nice to live in a city that's large enough to have most big-city anemities w/o the expense or hassle of NYC or Chicago. As far as where else I'd want to live, that feels pretty academic to me at the moment as my kids have a ways to go in school. I kind of miss the college town atmosphere from my younger days, so that type of location could be in my future.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:20 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,163 times
Where did you move from? and why? Dayton. Mostly specialized education (didn't turn out as expected).

What do you like / not like about area? Like: people a little more sophisticated (I guess that's a good description). Dislike: structurally too crowded -- there are a number of streets in Cincinnati I would consider to be an alley and what Cincinnati calls an alley I would call a sidewalk.

Anyone moved from the Medina, Ohio area? (akron/cleveland) How does it compare? N/A

If you could move anywhere in the US, where would you move...and why? Not sure. Medically I can't take anything hot and muggy like Florida and I do like seasonal change. I liked the openness of upstate Michigan but am now too old to take the cold. If I was still 20 years old I would probably still dream of living in London, England, at least for a while, again that sophistication.

Thanks for any input...... No problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati