U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 02:12 PM

22 posts, read 27,924 times

Advertisements

Found a house on Taylor Ave close to UC. I am wondering if Taylor Ave counts in Clifton Gaslight. Is the area good for family? Does this house belong to Fairview Elementary school district? Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 02:23 PM

864 posts, read 1,196,523 times
Taylor Avenue is in Oakley.

Do you mean Terrace Avenue? If so, then Terrace Avenue is a nice street in Clifton.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
Taylor Avenue is in Oakley.

Do you mean Terrace Avenue? If so, then Terrace Avenue is a nice street in Clifton.
I found Taylor Ave Cincinnati, OH 45220 is 1 mile north west of UC on the map. It is a sub road of Riddle Rd.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:36 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Z View Post
Found a house on Taylor Ave close to UC. I am wondering if Taylor Ave counts in Clifton Gaslight. Is the area good for family? Does this house belong to Fairview Elementary school district? Thank you.
I looked it up on Google maps, and there is a Taylor Ave. that starts as Foulke off of Marshall, off of Riddle. I can't speak for the neighborhood, but Fairview is not a neighborhood school, but a citywide magnet school. And a trendy one at that. It's a German Language school. To get in you will have to camp on the lawn with the other parents for a couple weeks to be in line for registration. I know people who were able to make the commitment and do it. It's not for me.

Taylor Av Even 3000 - 3098 E 45220 K - 8 Rockdale Academy
Taylor Av Odd 3001 - 3085 E 45220 K - 6 Taft Elementary Hughes STEM High School
Taylor Av Odd 3087 - 3099 E 45220 K - 8 Rockdale Academy

http://slg.cps-k12.org/slg/slg-print.asp

These would be your neighborhood schools. Personally, I wouldn't send my child to any of them, but that's just me. I can say that Hughes has made major improvements, but still has a ways to go. Taft is so bad they fired the entire staff in 2008 and started over. Unless you are willing to work through magnet schools, or private schools, I would look elsewhere. I guess it all depends on how much you are willing to do to get your kid in the best CPS schools. If you don't want to be involved to that degree, perhaps choose a suburb that has the same socio-economic class as you and just enroll them in the corresponding district.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:07 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,013 times
No, that is not even in the Clifton neighborhood (I believe it's in University Heights). I don't know the official boundaries, but Clifton Gaslight starts around Terrace Ave. and goes north to Resor or McAlpin. (I know that looks really close to Taylor, but by topography and street network it is not.)

It might help you to know the commercial center of the Clifton neighborhood (and the Gaslight district) is around Ludlow & Telford, with Ludlow being the primary commercial strip.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:19 PM

400 posts, read 397,221 times
To the OP , Fairview Elementary(Fairview German) is a Magnet school for the entire district of Cincinnati Public School district not a traditional neighborhood school. I suggest doing a bit of online research about CPS.

Cincinnati Public Schools |

Old 05-22-2013, 03:20 PM

Another house I am interested is in Ruther Ave. I see on the map it is next Vine street but still on the border of clifton. Is that a good neighborhood for family? can it go to Fairview Elementary?

Old 05-22-2013, 04:08 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,519,013 times
Ruther is near where Clifton interfaces with the rougher neighborhoods of Corryville and Avondale. It's decidedly outside the Gaslight District. As Ruther is on a hill, my bet is the top end of the hill is much safer than the bottom end (which abuts Avondale). Topography often works as a socioeconomic barrier in Cincinnati.

Since the Gaslight seems to be outside your price range (reading between the lines here), Ruther is probably a good option. But more at the top end of the hill (near Jefferson).

Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,929,204 times
I've never been sure whether there's a defined "Gaslight District" in Clifton which might exclude some streets that feature those charming distinctive lamps. 'cuz if the presence of gaslights is all it takes to be in the district, its boundaries extend all the way to Lafayette Ave (north & west) + West MLK (southwest) + Bishop St (southeast.) Pretty much all of Clifton would be within the Gaslight District by that definition, however.
"University Heights" is a fairly new appellation, to my knowledge, coined to describe the non-Gaslight section west of Clifton Ave and south of MLK. (East of Clifton Ave along there is, of course, all UC.) Because of universal disagreement over where "University Heights" ends and "Fairview Heights" and "Clifton Heights" begin, to simplify matters that whole slice of geography is called "CUF" instead. I liked it better back in the day when everything north of McMillan St was known as Clifton, period, and the smaller enclaves to the south were "Lower Clifton." But even during that bygone era the blocks surrounding Fairview Ave and west of Ravine St were aka Fairview Hts. "Whatever!!!"
Some streets feeding into Vine St (Bishop, Ruther, Glenmary Ave, and Woolper Ave among them) offer a textbook example of how the dynamics of urban surroundings can change rapidly. Each of them go uphill into Clifton. Since the east-west dividing line of Cincinnati's street numbering system is Vine St, addresses also ascend the farther from Vine you go. And so does the overall "desirability" of the properties.

Along with frequent posts from another forum contributor of late (the other one incessantly throwing out random neighborhood names) I'm seeing a lot from this one. Why not establish a relationship with a buyer's agent, concertedly narrow down home selections, and THEN hit us up for what realtors can't or won't tell you?

Old 05-23-2013, 06:29 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,827,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Z View Post
can it go to Fairview Elementary?
You apparently havenít read what myself and other posters have explained to you about Fairview German Language School being a city wide magnet school. READ:

Program Specific | Cincinnati Public Schools

With Fairview, it's not "if my address will allow me to get in," it's if you are dedicated enough to camp on the lawn for a couple weeks to reserve a space in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati