U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which team is more popular?
Reds 31 91.18%
Bengals 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 04:41 PM

48 posts, read 109,662 times

Advertisements

Who is the more popular team in Cincinnati? I've heard that it's mostly a baseball town and certainly historically that would be the case, but who's more popular right now in Cincinnati?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 PM

864 posts, read 1,196,523 times
The Reds by far.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 PM

368 posts, read 518,045 times
the reds are part of the dna of cincinnati..the bengals will always be second fiddle until they can sustain a winning tradition over time.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:03 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,022,655 times
No brainer...The Reds. The Reds run rings around the Bengals in every aspect of quality. Fan experience, community relations, venue, economic impact, tradition, you name it. The only thing the Bengals do more effectively than the Reds is perhaps make more money for themselves. The Bengals suck.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,461,700 times
For me personally, Bengals were always my favorite until Mike Brown revealed himself to be the scheister that he is over the stadium deal....on the flip side, Bob Castellini has shown himself to be an asset to the city of Cinti and to his franchise. My heart and my wallet now belongs to the Reds.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:19 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
For me personally, Bengals were always my favorite until Mike Brown revealed himself to be the scheister that he is over the stadium deal....on the flip side, Bob Castellini has shown himself to be an asset to the city of Cinti and to his franchise. My heart and my wallet now belongs to the Reds.
If a highly respected owner like PAUL BROWN still owned the Bengals, I think that there would be more parity between the Reds and the Bengals. However, Mike Brown is nearly universally disliked by Cincinnati sports fans. It is very rare when a flagship radio station can continually refer to the owner as "sperm lucky" and still have a relationship.

I believe that the Reds would be more popular if MLB would have more respect for the franchise. First, their handling of Pete Rose and Marge Schott situations were very poor and alienated a number of fan. Also, taking the traditional "Opening Day" game away from Cincinnati (often in favor of teams like the Angels and Mariners) is an insult to baseball's oldest team.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:58 AM

213 posts, read 538,599 times
Reds easily. They are a much more professionally run franchise, their players are more professional and they have fans who are much more mature acting and knowledgeable about the game. It will always be that way.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:50 PM

688 posts, read 862,989 times
I voted Reds simply because they are currently the hot team in Cincinnati with the second best record in baseball. At many times last year they had the best or second best record in MLB as well. When they are winning they are popular among the diehards and casual fans alike.

With that being said, the Bengals had something like 10 years of selling out Paul Brown Stadium despite Mike 'the clown' Brown fielding what was an average team at best. Cincinnati is a football town. It's been well documented by Enquirer columnist Paul Daugherty that the Reds have a more difficult time getting actual butts in the seats on a given night. Part of this is because there are 81 home games versus only 8 for the Bengals. But he included in one of his articles a few of the reasons why fans don't go to Reds games which included things such as weather, kids soccer game/practice, and if a favorite show was airing that night (e.g. American Idol). Somehow the Bengals don't face these same attendance issues or have just recently started to whereas the Reds have dealt with it for years and only this season have things started to turn around in a noticeable way.

In sum, if both teams were .500 ballclubs for a couple years in a row I would vote Bengals as more popular. It seems the Reds have a lot steeper hill to climb with respect to fan popularity which is a shame because while Castelini has demonstrated a willingness to expend cash to win now, Mike Brown has abused the fans and Hamilton County tax payers for more than two decades. I have no idea why people still support Mike Brown's football franchise. I'd rather watch the Bearcats on Saturdays than put money in Mike Brown's pocket.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:31 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,652,150 times
1. Reds
2. Bengals
3. Bearcats

The Reds are wildly popular, not only in Cincinnati but the entire region. The Bengals are popular also and draw huge TV ratings.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,882,145 times
It would have to be the Reds, every Browns fan I know in my area likes the Reds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati