U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:02 PM

5 posts, read 5,723 times

Advertisements

My DH and I are struggling on what to do here...

Right now we live in KY. My daughter was accepted into next years class at SCPA, and we would really like to move to Cincinnati this summer, both so we don't have to pay tuition, and to be closer to my husband's new job in Sharonville. I also have two younger children who would be attending whatever neighborhood school we happen to land in, at least for a year while we figure out the magnet/charter school system and figure out where to put them.

We are about to put our house on the market (I know we should have done that months ago -- it wasn't possible -- long story), and are planning on either buying or renting in August. We are looking for somewhere affordable, walkable, and with schools within the Cincinnati School District that would be acceptable for the younger two.

So far we have been focusing our search on Oakley and Pleasant Ridge. Are there other affordable neighborhoods I'm missing? We are trying not to move too far north, because I work in Florence.

If our house miraculously sells quickly, and financing works seamlessly, we are interested in purchasing, but we are becoming resigned to renting for a year before settling on a permanent location.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 04:36 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,951,520 times
To some extent, affordable neighborhood and good CPS neighborhood school can be mutually exclusive. Can anyone clarify whether the Montessori school in Pleasant Ridge IS the neighborhood school? If so, it might be a good bet.

A magnet school, but one with an affordable neighborhood nearby would be the Waldorf School, which is moving to Mariemont starting with the next school year. Madison Place has modestly priced homes and is quiet and safe. Google them if interested, they have their own dedicated web site.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:34 AM

Madison Place looks nice, but is too far west for our commutes. Pleasant Ridge Montessori is the neighborhood school according to CPS school finder, so that does sound like a good option. Thanks!

Old 06-05-2013, 05:43 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,727,944 times
PRM is definitely the neighborhood school in Pleasant Ridge. I would strongly recommend calling them up. They will be happy to take you on a tour.

I would also recommend looking into Hartwell. They have a nice neighborhood school, are within the City limits, and would be even closer to Sharonville.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:10 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,433 times
You didn't say what your price range was, but Hartwell is indeed the best school/home value combo in the city.

Oakley just got a major shot in the arm with the opening of Hyde Park School. Most of the Oakley kids will go there. I haven't carefully studied the maps, but some in Oakley may still be going to Kilgour, which is good, but there may also be a few streets that also still get banished to John P Parker. Be careful of that. That's where the Madison Place kids likely go, and you don't want that.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:28 AM

If we are renting, we really hope to find a decent 3 bedroom for less than 1000/mo. If our house sells quickly, we can afford a little more. We hope to eventually land in a house in the 200-250 range. I'll check out Hartwell -- they weren't on my radar!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:31 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,363,536 times
Pleasant Ridge is likely a good compromise between Sharonville and Florence commutes, the PRM school, and SCPA.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:46 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,828,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notapirate View Post
Right now we live in KY. My daughter was accepted into next years class at SCPA, and we would really like to move to Cincinnati this summer, both so we don't have to pay tuition, and to be closer to my husband's new job in Sharonville.
Does open enrollment apply to NKY residents?

Open Enrollment | Cincinnati Public Schools

I don't have time to read, but follow the link and read up on things.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 AM

It does not, Tom, unfortunately.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:27 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,828,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notapirate View Post
It does not, Tom, unfortunately.
Gotcha. Congrats on getting accepted into SCPA. My child goes there and it's been an excellent experience for the entire family. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or