U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 AM

32,309 posts, read 59,604,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Ya think?!
Nice catch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 10:14 AM

82 posts, read 190,650 times
Default thanks....

thanks for all of your input.....yes I have multiple posts...just looking for as many comments and information from different people as possible.......just looking for some help....its hard when your not from an area.....I would hate to purchase a home in a crumby area (just because it looked nice) .....and regret it.......
and usually locals know the area ---and what the stigmas are -- -sorry for asking so many times....just looking for some new comments from different people --

Old 06-07-2013, 05:54 AM

3,758 posts, read 10,598,467 times
No problem on your asking for info... as far as "new comments from different people" -- the Cincy posters group is a relatively small one, and while some of the true suburbanites (hinterlanders) stay out of the "clearly urban only" post, and some of the urbanites stay out of the "clearly suburban/rural posts" -- you're really going to get mostly the same people commenting -- whether you say "warren county, butler county, clermont county, or hamilton county.

So you'll just have to trust that you really are getting as much info as you can. Believe me - the cincy group does not hold back!

Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,818,054 times
^ Briolat21... Yes I would say holding back is not one of our overall virtues.

OP... No problem coming back for info. Just feel you have not provided much info on what criteria is important to you. The locales you have mentioned vary considerable. The only common denominator is they are mostly more rural.

But for example Oregonia is just a spot in the road. If you like a spot in the road that is just fine. There was a major development planned for there prior to the financial collapse, effectively an entire planned city. I don't see much happening there for some time now.

Lebanon is far and away the largest and most established of the locales. It has just about everything needed for ordinary living needs right there, and varies from quite old housing to brand new.

Loveland is another old town and has the distinction of having parts in 3 counties. Its location has resulted in a wide spread of housing, again from old to new and from modest to handsome. Has less business development than Lebanon.

Batavia is another town which has been around awhile. Definitely was rural in terms of business, with feed & grain stores, tractor supplies, etc. catering to the surrounding farming community. Also, to my knowledge Batavia has not been active in pursuing the annexation of property to grow its boundaries.

Morrow is another older small town which years ago enjoyed a degree of life with its location on the 3C (Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland) Highway, Ohio Route 3. After the construction of I-71 and its preferance by traffic between Cincinnati/Columbus, Morrow seemed to slip into a state of decline which I believe is still going on. It is too far away to experience a burst of activity due to residential growth. Don't see much reason for it to turn around soon.

Maineville has experienced a burst of growth. The problem is almost all residential, modest homes on compacted lots to hold costs down. With little commercial tax income, this has resulted in an overload on the school district, driving it into fiscal emergency. Rapid population growth resulting in school growth resulting in financial problems as people begin to turn down constant school levies. Pleasant locale but one I would avoid in the near future.

Goshen is one I don't have much to comment about. Years past I considered it like Oregonia, a spot in the road. But admittedly I have not been out that direction in a long time. Considering its location it may be subdivision after subdivision.

One general observation and which I expect a lot of criticism for. Until more recent years Clermont Co. was a very rural place. Small towns like Batavia existed, but were small. People who enjoyed the rural atmosphere would acquire property and build individual houses, often to locate in townships and avoid the higher tax rates of such as Hamilton Co. But then the residential sprawl began to push into Clermont Co. Large subsidivisions with a lot more people and especially kids requiring schools. Many of the residents of Clermont Co. felt entrapped by this and the rapid rise in taxes. It is generally accepted Clermont Co. has more school levies turned down than just about anywhere in Greater Cincinnati. This is beginning to catch up as the residential growth is still happening and some of the schools are struggling.

Last edited by kjbrill; 06-08-2013 at 09:28 AM..

Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 PM

21 posts, read 24,166 times
I have been following posts about ratings of towns because I am relocating to the area. I can understand the OP's questions, because honestly it seems all the towns in the Cincy area are very much the same ( in a good way). This forum has the best information about the area compared to the rest of the internet.

Most towns are a rural -suburbia mix, non walkable towns, mostly caucasian, great public schools but with a large population of Catholic schools, housing is a mix 40-50 year old houses with some new construction, low crime. Walkable towns seem to have a higher price point for real estate. Am I right?

In New Jersey it would be easy to point someone in a certain direction because most towns are very different....even if only 5 miles apart.

We are making our decision based on the best schools, best commute and reasonable housing. Another top priority is diversity, but honestly I don't think that I will find anything in Cincinnati that is what we are looking for ( and I am very open to other suggestions of towns I might have missed).
Anderson fits the bill for us based on info from this forum and other recommendations. Flying in to take a look around in a few weeks.
Thanks to all of you from Cincinnati who are helping us newbies transition to your great state.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:44 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,571,247 times
^ Wyoming is relatively diverse for the region, and is a top school district. It also has a walkable town center. I don't know where you're commuting to.

It's on the pricey side, but not compared to New Jersey.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:57 PM

21 posts, read 24,166 times
Commute to Batavia. I'll look at Wyoming. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 PM

32,309 posts, read 59,604,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS1007 View Post
That's not a commute I'd be wanting to make on a daily basis. You don't say what price range or size house you need, but you might also consider Loveland, Milford, or somewhere in the Sycamore district.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:32 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,966,389 times
Quote:
I swear we've seen this exact aggregation of communities before -- and I don't think I would change anything from my previous post.
I agree! I recall replying to this very same or similar list in the past!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:19 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,818,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS1007 View Post
If you are going to be commuting to Batavia avoid having to go through the major traffic artery sections, I-75 and I-71 in the middle of the City. Wyoming to Batavia - Grrrr. There is a reason I-75 and I-71 run the way they do, following the natural valleys between our hills along the river. If you follow them to say downtown and back very simple. If you start cutting cross-county those nasty hills and the older infrastructure get in the way. That commute can double in no time flat.

I agree with look at Loveland and Milford along with your mentioned Anderson. There is a lot of residential expansion between I-275 and Batavia, mostly compacted subdivisions. This is tending to have two effects. One the commute from I-275 out to Batavia is becoming slower and slower with traffic overwhelming the limited roads. Second the rapidly expanding population is starting to overwhelm the schools and the people are beginning to resist ever increasing school tax levies for expansion. This does not bode well for the short term future of the schools.

Loveland and Milford have been around for a long time and have expanded more slowly over a period of years. They have had time to absorb school growth, etc. in smaller increments.

From Anderson, Milford, or Loveland you would likely have to spend some time on I-275 to the main artery to Batavia, Ohio Route 32, with Loveland being the furtherest.

Also consider Turpin Hills, a division of Anderson Township. Good schools, some great homes, and easy access via Newtown to Ohio Route 32 out to Batavia. Turpin and Anderson together comprise the Forest Hills school district, with Turpin having the higher rating. In fact, what we simply call Anderson on most maps today is labeled Forestville. I guess that is where Forest Hills came from.

What I have always found strange here in Ohio is townships do not just keep their identify as townships. A good example is just what I spoke of, Anderson township. On maps portions of it are called Forestville. It has the Forest Hills school district. But the older and larger schools are called Anderson. Confusing isn't it?

Our largest shopping mall in Cincinnati is Kenwood Towne Center. But there really is no Kenwood. It is simply Sycamore Twp. When I try and locate these places I usually encounter census designated place. What is that? It is simply a contrived name to try and distinguish a location in a rather undistinguished location like a township.

We have several census designated places out near where I live. To me it is a crock. Identify where you live as the political jurisdiction which controls it. Townships have limited capabilities in what they can do. They were originally intended to simply be the overseers of rural countryside, never intended to administer anything close to an urban population. But don't disguise it with some name so people are unaware of what they are moving into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or