Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM

84 posts, read 160,687 times

Advertisements

I'll be looking for an apartment over the next few weeks. Does anyone know of any leasing agents, or is the best way to go about this is to contact the buildings directly. The few realtors I spoke to were all too excited in trying to sell me something quickly and were not that excited to help me find an apartment. My prior experience in renting has been in Boston and Chicago, where the rental market is well established, and it was pretty easy have a few agents show you properties.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,907,657 times
You probably want to find (an) area-specific agent(s). The ones in areas with a lot of rentals are probably well-versed in that portion of the market.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:19 AM

anyone know any specific agents, or if we dont want to get personal, companies. the few that I spoke to were really more interested in getting me to buy then helping me find a rental property. I'll be buying soon enough, but when I'm ready.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:11 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
I believe you are recognizing a characteristic of the real estate market in Cincinnati. It is primarily a sellers/buyers market, not a renters market. The larger complexes, whether they be downtown or in the burbs, will have a management company to handle the rentals. Otherwise, it is a hit and miss proposition, a For Rent sign in the yard may be the only external display of availability. I attribute this to the conservative nature of Cincinnati, some would call it tightwad, why rent when you can buy? Good luck in your searching.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:25 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,907,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I believe you are recognizing a characteristic of the real estate market in Cincinnati. It is primarily a sellers/buyers market, not a renters market. The larger complexes, whether they be downtown or in the burbs, will have a management company to handle the rentals. Otherwise, it is a hit and miss proposition, a For Rent sign in the yard may be the only external display of availability. I attribute this to the conservative nature of Cincinnati, some would call it tightwad, why rent when you can buy? Good luck in your searching.

It is attributable to the relatively low number of transients. In areas/neighborhoods with a lot of transients, renting is a much bigger thing. That is true in all cities (that areas with transients are where the rental properties are).

If you had more low-income people in your social circle, you would also have a different perspective on this. Though I suppose the low cost of real estate creates a lower bar, where home ownership is available to people with a lower income than in many other places.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by det2011sb View Post
I'll be looking for an apartment over the next few weeks. Does anyone know of any leasing agents, or is the best way to go about this is to contact the buildings directly. The few realtors I spoke to were all too excited in trying to sell me something quickly and were not that excited to help me find an apartment. My prior experience in renting has been in Boston and Chicago, where the rental market is well established, and it was pretty easy have a few agents show you properties.

thanks
If you are searching in OTR/downtown then I can refer you to a realtor that can help. Rentals go extremely quick due to high demand. I'm not much help elsewhere.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:11 AM

actually that would be great thanks

Old 05-09-2013, 06:48 AM

404 posts, read 826,376 times
We just moved here from Boston and the weirdest difference is that apartment rentals are not the easy peasy craigslist experience (or god forbid, over priced realtor listings) it is much more for-rent-sign-in-the-yard experience. Really difficult if you are not starting with feet on the ground.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:03 PM

Just thought I'd give an update on my apartment hunting experience. Unfortunately, it seemed to mimic my experience in Detroit and not my experience in Chicago and Boston.

In Chicago and Boston, rental agents are plentiful and, for better or worse, aggressive. However, they do seem to be knowledgeable about the area, and are usually good about finding a good fit for you. In addition, they are usually willing to meet you during off hours.

I was only able to break away from work for the weekend and monday, but appointments with two agents fell through leading me to use the good ole' internet for my apartment search.

I saw the following properties:
Current at the Banks
Reserve at 4th and Race
Centennial Station
Indian Creek
Charleston at Blue Ash
Sycamore Place Lofts

One place that intrigued me, but I couldn't make time to see it was the Boulevard at Oakley Station. It's new, but the one thing that seems perfect is that it's right next to a grocery store (i made an earlier post about that). Does anyone know anything about the property?

Last edited by det2011sb; 05-14-2013 at 08:18 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
I would cross off Centennial Station. The complex had two major fires within 3 years of each other. Another property owned by the same company had a major fire as well.

Can't really comment on the other apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: