U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2013, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati, OH
1,390 posts, read 1,071,301 times
Reputation: 1082

Advertisements

I'd just like to hear some stories/see some photos. The Western Hills Mall (was it even called that?) is something that has always interested me. Anyone have some old photos or know what stores were in there? My dad remembers a movie theater, but not much else as he lived in Springdale. Why did it close down? There aren't any malls near it and it's in a pretty good location.

Then there's the Western Hills Plaza. I find it odd that there's only a barber shop on the back side, did there use to be more shops back there? Also, what store use to be in the location where Media Play was?

The former Circuit City/now Electrical training facility. I know railroad tacks used to run through there. I see there is sort of a "half bridge" behind it that is now covered by a concrete wall. I guess the trains went under that bridge, but where did they come out?

Muddy Creek and Devils Backbone. They're broken up into a few different parts. I heard that there was a mudslide and they never bothered to open it back up. Is this true? And Delhi road is in a similar situation. I was helping western wildlife corridor one time and we walked down some of it. Did it have a lot of mudslides as well?

And if you have any other old photos of Miami Heights/Township(specifically around the Shady Lane Plaza), Green Township, Westwood, and Western Hills, I'd like to see them. Any other stories you have would be great, too. I don't know why this stuff interests me, I guess I'm just an old timer at heart.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions as time goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 PM
 
306 posts, read 253,865 times
Reputation: 98
Growing up we'd call it the Westwood town mall I believe. Spent a lot of time in the arcade there. As far as media play goes I feel like it was new construction but I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati, OH
1,390 posts, read 1,071,301 times
Reputation: 1082
Thanks for the info! I guess everyone else here lives on the eastside???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Westwood
201 posts, read 317,502 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
I'd just like to hear some stories/see some photos. The Western Hills Mall (was it even called that?) is something that has always interested me. Anyone have some old photos or know what stores were in there? My dad remembers a movie theater, but not much else as he lived in Springdale. Why did it close down? There aren't any malls near it and it's in a pretty good location.

Then there's the Western Hills Plaza. I find it odd that there's only a barber shop on the back side, did there use to be more shops back there? Also, what store use to be in the location where Media Play was?

The former Circuit City/now Electrical training facility. I know railroad tacks used to run through there. I see there is sort of a "half bridge" behind it that is now covered by a concrete wall. I guess the trains went under that bridge, but where did they come out?

Muddy Creek and Devils Backbone. They're broken up into a few different parts. I heard that there was a mudslide and they never bothered to open it back up. Is this true? And Delhi road is in a similar situation. I was helping western wildlife corridor one time and we walked down some of it. Did it have a lot of mudslides as well?

And if you have any other old photos of Miami Heights/Township(specifically around the Shady Lane Plaza), Green Township, Westwood, and Western Hills, I'd like to see them. Any other stories you have would be great, too. I don't know why this stuff interests me, I guess I'm just an old timer at heart.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions as time goes on.
There was a movie theatre at the mall until the late 70's. The mall was called Western Woods Mall. It was where the current Dillard's and Home Depot are located on Glenway. The current building Dillard's was in is the only original part of the mall still standing I think (The older Thriftway building in the back may have been an original part as well) as it was a Lazarus and before that Shillito's when the mall was still standing. The mall was torn down in 1998 but I think was empty a few years prior to that. I can't find any photos of it either. I've looked and had no luck.

The Western Hills Plaza used to have a courtyard where the current Bed, Bath and Beyond is that went to the back parking lot. There were all kinds of businesses in the open courtyard. A jewerly store, record store, Dante's Restaurant... a bunch of stuff. As a kid we always used to park in the back of the plaza and enter through the courtyard. Prior to Media Play I believe Elder Beerman was located there.

I love the Shady Lane area of Miami Heights. Talk about great housing and subdivisions out in that area that are extremely affordable compared to the rest of the suburbs surrounding Cincy. Have you seen some of the subdivisions and homes being built in North Bend around some of those golf courses (Ashton Oaks)? They are as nice as you will find anywhere in Greater Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Status: "Winter's Here" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Mason, OH
8,717 posts, read 7,021,111 times
Reputation: 1732
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
Thanks for the info! I guess everyone else here lives on the eastside???
No, not just eastsiders. I believe what you are seeing is a lack of enthusiasm from the westsiders. Those who come from generations of west side families I believe are feeling more than a little downtrodden. As they observe many of those west side neighborhoods disintegrating before them it is hard to become enthusiastic and expound upon all the things which existed in the past. In fact it becomes downright depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Westwood
201 posts, read 317,502 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
No, not just eastsiders. I believe what you are seeing is a lack of enthusiasm from the westsiders. Those who come from generations of west side families I believe are feeling more than a little downtrodden. As they observe many of those west side neighborhoods disintegrating before them it is hard to become enthusiastic and expound upon all the things which existed in the past. In fact it becomes downright depressing.
That could be some of it, Section 8 and public housing have all but destroyed much of Westwood and Price Hill. Growing up in Westwood it is depressing at times to think back about what "used to be" and what "now is"... I think of the Westwood business district near Harrison and Montana Avenues and how much there used to be there and now you drive by and it is almost all dilapidated, run down buildings. Just sad.

There are some other sites out there where I've noticed far more westsiders posting than on here.

I've said this before on here and nobody ever talks about it but the Miami Heights / Three Rivers area is a beautiful area. It is by far the nicest area of the west-side and actually compares to many of the perceived best suburban areas of Greater Cincinnati. Most people on here have probably never even heard of the area because it is somewhat remote and isn't easily accessible from other parts of the city but the development has gone through the roof over the last decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati, OH
1,390 posts, read 1,071,301 times
Reputation: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
There was a movie theatre at the mall until the late 70's. The mall was called Western Woods Mall. It was where the current Dillard's and Home Depot are located on Glenway. The current building Dillard's was in is the only original part of the mall still standing I think (The older Thriftway building in the back may have been an original part as well) as it was a Lazarus and before that Shillito's when the mall was still standing. The mall was torn down in 1998 but I think was empty a few years prior to that. I can't find any photos of it either. I've looked and had no luck.

The Western Hills Plaza used to have a courtyard where the current Bed, Bath and Beyond is that went to the back parking lot. There were all kinds of businesses in the open courtyard. A jewerly store, record store, Dante's Restaurant... a bunch of stuff. As a kid we always used to park in the back of the plaza and enter through the courtyard. Prior to Media Play I believe Elder Beerman was located there.

I love the Shady Lane area of Miami Heights. Talk about great housing and subdivisions out in that area that are extremely affordable compared to the rest of the suburbs surrounding Cincy. Have you seen some of the subdivisions and homes being built in North Bend around some of those golf courses (Ashton Oaks)? They are as nice as you will find anywhere in Greater Cincinnati.

Thanks you! Yes I've been to Aston Oaks. Sometimes I take a drive through just to look at the houses. I live just a couple miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati, OH
1,390 posts, read 1,071,301 times
Reputation: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
That could be some of it, Section 8 and public housing have all but destroyed much of Westwood and Price Hill. Growing up in Westwood it is depressing at times to think back about what "used to be" and what "now is"... I think of the Westwood business district near Harrison and Montana Avenues and how much there used to be there and now you drive by and it is almost all dilapidated, run down buildings. Just sad.

There are some other sites out there where I've noticed far more westsiders posting than on here.

I've said this before on here and nobody ever talks about it but the Miami Heights / Three Rivers area is a beautiful area. It is by far the nicest area of the west-side and actually compares to many of the perceived best suburban areas of Greater Cincinnati. Most people on here have probably never even heard of the area because it is somewhat remote and isn't easily accessible from other parts of the city but the development has gone through the roof over the last decade.
Thanks for the compliment! It really is a nice area with very low crime. We're almost never on the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 05:48 PM
 
1,295 posts, read 777,814 times
Reputation: 665
Where is Miami Heights/Three Rivers? I get somewhere in Loveland when I search Miami Heights on Google Maps, and somewhere on 270 near Columbus when I search Three Rivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 06:32 PM
 
Location: In a happy place
3,197 posts, read 3,472,898 times
Reputation: 6170
Check Here.

DeadMalls.com: Western Woods Mall: Cincinnati, OH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top