Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 04:30 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,544,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003;30355856
In addition, [I
Wild Hogs[/i] is set, though not filmed, in Cincinnati.[102]

I thought there were some scenes in Wild Hogs that looked like Cincinnati?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 06:21 PM

688 posts, read 1,110,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Just one?

I got to see parts of Traffic and City of Hope being filmed. Airborne does have some very cool location shots. Fresh Horses is a horrible movie, but it has some really nice shots of the city (and one of my friends is an extra in it).

Oh, yeah, and Harper Valley PTA's Lebanon locations are way cool; on the 10th anniversary of its release, the Colony Theater had a Harper Valley PTA festival; about 10 people showed up, including me and four of my friends. *sigh* People just don't know how to have fun! LOL

But as Cincinnati-filmed movies go, my favorite is Eight Men Out. No contest. It's a fabulous movie, on so many levels.
Coincidentally I was channel surfing this afternoon and came across Fresh Horses. What caught my eye was a scene where the female protagonist was looking out the window and they showed a blurry skyline of Cincinnati and the PNC Tower stood out to me. I watched at most another 5 minutes and changed the channel. I agree, it seems like a terrible movie if it couldn't hold my interest for more than 5 minutes.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:37 PM

549 posts, read 843,698 times
I am shocked that no one has mentioned "The Mighty" starring Kieran Culkin. It's truly a remarkable movie set and filmed in Cincy. It's heart warming and beautifully acted. It's also currently streaming on Netflix. Check it out.

My other favorite is Babes in Toyland. It's basically a Cincinnati love fest. Drew Barrymore is the main character from Cincinnati and the villain constantly calls her Cinciwhatski. She manages to get out of every situation by talking about Cincinnati. There's one point where she gets people out of jail by talking about Pete Rose, but my favorite part is when everyone is being poisoned by gas and Drew Barrymore says, "I must be immune because I'm from Cincinnati. Quick! Sing the Cincinnati Song!" HILARIOUS!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,899,358 times
Haha, I love Babes in Toyland. We rented it when I was a kid (and copied it on VHS from the rental copy). It must have been pretty new at the time. Anyway, I didn't realize it was special to have Cincinnati so prominently featured in a movie; it just seemed normal. But I remember watching it a lot and singing along to this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62DGe9i9lGQ

I'll have to check out some of these other movies. Didn't know about The Mighty. Adding that to my queue right after I send this.

My favorite Cincy movie (so far) has to be Rain Man. I saw Ides of March in Istanbul, of all places. It was in the DVD collection of the place I was staying, so I ended up watching it one evening when I was too pooped to go out. I thought it was pretty good, worth watching, but not great. Rain Man is just a great movie, period.

Airborne is fun, but not spectacular. Its best attribute is just being a relic of the 90's.

Babes in Toyland is obviously really nostalgic; I'd say it's a great children's movie, but I'd have to see it again to say if it holds up in adulthood, haha. My guess is probably not. It had a sequel, which I enjoyed but not as much. I don't remember if Cinciwhatski is mentioned at all in it -- which probably means it isn't.

Edit: Just added The Mighty to my instant queue and noticed James Gandolfini (the recently deceased star of the Sopranos) is in it. FYI for anyone who cares. Just thought it was interesting since he's been in the news (...for dying).

Old 07-10-2013, 06:06 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,995,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
I am shocked that no one has mentioned "The Mighty" starring Kieran Culkin. It's truly a remarkable movie set and filmed in Cincy. It's heart warming and beautifully acted. It's also currently streaming on Netflix. Check it out.
"The Mighty" was referred to in Post #18, 7-4-13...
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Not my favorite Cincy film, but I did enjoy "The Mighty" (1998), where Sharon Stone played an important role as the protagonist's mother (although, she actually never set foot in Cincinnati). Several key scenes were filmed in OTR, but perhaps the most memorable local scenes were filmed upon the Suspension Bridge and within Devou Park. Sadly to say, however, neither the interior shots, the wintry streets, nor the downsized "Riverfest" were filmed in Cincinnati, but elsewhere (either on Hollywood sound stages or in Canada).

Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 AM

549 posts, read 843,698 times
Sorry I missed that. It's truly a fantastic movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati