Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 10:37 AM

5 posts, read 7,952 times

Advertisements

Hello to all,

My wife and I (recently married) are considering a move to the Cincinnati area and would appreciate some advice from the local experts...you! I have an interview tomorrow with Dayton Independent Schools on the Kentucky side of the river and if all goes well, my wife and I will be heading in your direction. I have completed the questionnaire below.

. Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry?
. What specific topic have you not found answers to?
I have searched and have not seen many topics that answer my questions.

. Where is you current location and environment?
. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change?

My wife and I currently live in Paducah, KY. A very small (30ish thousand) town in Western Kentucky. We have lived here most of our lives but have the desire to move into a larger city to experience the amenities and opportunities such a place offers. In short, we are looking for a change from our rural hometown.

. Where will your work location be?
. Maximum commute time desired?

If I am offered a job, I will most likely be working on the Kentucky side of the river. My experience with Kentucky schools (combined with an increased salary for teachers in comparison with Indiana and Ohio) causes me to favor them. 45 minutes would be the absolute maximum commute that I would like. My wife is a hospitality major and will most likely be seeking employment in the metro area.

. What is you budget for housing?

. Rent or buy?
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family)
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths)
. Other specifics?

To begin, my wife and I will be renting while we test the market and explore the city. Ideally, 900/month would be the maximum and we would need at least 2 bedrooms and 1 bath. All other criteria are negotiable as we have both lived in nice and not-so-nice apartments/houses.

. Neighborhood environment?
. Urban, young professional, nightlife
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere
. Family oriented
. Lots of same age kids, activities
. Great schools
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready
. Diversity of income, race, housing?
. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more)
. Very safe, low crime area?
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much?
. Private neighborhood association, swimming & fitness facilities

My wife and I are both in our 20s and thus, would like the opportunity to be situated in an area that will best serve our needs and desires. We are active (enjoy riding our bikes) and would like to be situated in an area that would allow us to do that. We will also be seeking to make new friends and because of this, would like to be in an area with other people our age and the opportunity to meet them (nightlife, clubs, bars, etc). If possible, we would like to be able to walk/bike to as much as possible. We can tolerate some crime but would rather not have to sleep afraid for our lives and with bars on the windows.

. Schools?
. Not applicable
. High Ranked Public schools
. Small or large district?
. Diverse student body?
. Strong athletics?
. Consider Private schools?
. Special considerations?

Not applicable. By the time we have children, I hope we will be able to understand the area well enough to make our own decision.

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.
. Town/city community center for adults & kids
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities
. Nearby fitness centers & clubs
. Close promity to public transportation?
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues
. Jogging & biking trails
. Other?

As stated above, we would like to be near a park in order to ride our bikes and spend some time outdoors. Being within walking distance or a short cab ride to a few nightclubs or bars would be nice, as well. Public transportation is unimportant as we both have vehicles and bikes and will use those for a majority of our transportation needs.

. Specific wants/desires?
. Please identify any specific wants/desires not mentioned above.

I believe that just about covers it. We are trying to gather as much information as possible because neither of us have spent much time in the area. I know a few people that have lived in Cincy and absolutely loved it, hence my interest. If there are any other questions I will monitor this post frequently and respond as soon as possible. Thank you very much for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 12:28 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
Welcome to the area! I traveled to Paducah last year with my wife and stayed in a nice bread and breakfast in a converted home. It is a very nice and picturesque town. I was particularly impressed with the historic downtown area.

Will you be permitted to live on the Ohio side? I'm not saying that is preferable, just wondering. Sometimes schools restrict where their employees can live.

On the KY side, I think WILWRadio and RestorationConsultant have some experience with the historic/urban NKY towns. I have friends that live in Covington, near the river, and really like it. Ditto for Newport. I get the sense that Bellevue is the up-and-coming place.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:58 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,023,338 times
Welcome to Northern Kentucky (NKY) and Cincinnati, and best wishes on your Dayton job interview. Although I hesitate to recommend any specific rentals, for the time being I'd suggest that you and your wife consider the NKY communities centering on either Newport or Covington, but especially on the Newport side of the Licking River (the "great-divide" between these two major NKY cities). Both are viable, urbane, and promising communities, and they are both integrally connected to Cincinnati in many ways.

And please realize that Ft. Thomas, KY not only "presides over" both Dayton and Bellevue, but that Ft.Thomas is truly one of Kentucky's most prestigious and professional communities, bar none--an "elongated community" extending atop a ridge line overlooking both Newport, Bellevue, Dayton, and Cincinnati, and one of the metro's most desirable zip codes! Scenic, secure and safe, and right above your future Dayton, Ky. workplace--need I say more?

Last edited by motorman; 07-01-2013 at 01:10 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 01:19 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
My take is that Newport, (northern) Covington, and the CBD would be first choices. CBD might be a little out of budget, though. After that, Over-the-Rhine, Bellevue, and Dayton itself.

All of these places are FANTASTIC for cyclists. I can't stress enough how much I expect you would enjoy living in these spots, as 20-something cyclists. You'll be able to get to so many things in such a short amount of time, including schools in Dayton!

You will want to live in the river basin (the flat area including all the aforementioned neighborhoods/cities), unless you like the idea of always having to cycle up a steep hill when returning home from work, nightlife spots, etc. (Buses do have bike racks, so they are an option for hills, though not late at night and not when the racks are taken.)

Old 07-01-2013, 03:14 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Take a look at the Mainstrasse area of Covington and see if it appeals to you. There are some very nice apartments sprinkled in among the historic townhouses there. The area can kind of vary street by street in terms of desirability, but most of the area should meet your criteria for safety, there are plenty of young professionals there along with restaurants and nightlife.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:31 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I agree that Bellevue, Newport and Covington are good choices (I prefer them in that order). I'm not familiar with Dayton at all; never made it that far east on that side of the river.

Good luck on your interview!

Old 07-01-2013, 05:24 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Definitely exhaust everything on the KY side of the river before you even consider Ohio. There is just so much diversity and things to enjoy in KY I cannot believe you will not find something desirable there.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Definitely exhaust everything on the KY side of the river before you even consider Ohio. There is just so much diversity and things to enjoy in KY I cannot believe you will not find something desirable there.
With a 20-minute bike commute from the heart of Over-the-Rhine to Dayton High School (not that I know OP would work at the HS, but it's a sample point), I don't think it's vital to stay in KY. If they'd prefer more of a big city environment, the CBD or OTR would be fine options. Actually, Mainstrasse (using 7th & Main) in Covington registers on Google Maps as a longer commute than from 12th & Vine in Cincy. So maybe you can articulate why you think it's important to exhaust KY first.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:47 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
There is just so much diversity and things to enjoy in KY
Diversity? Kentucky?

Old 07-02-2013, 05:47 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
With a 20-minute bike commute from the heart of Over-the-Rhine to Dayton High School (not that I know OP would work at the HS, but it's a sample point), I don't think it's vital to stay in KY. If they'd prefer more of a big city environment, the CBD or OTR would be fine options. Actually, Mainstrasse (using 7th & Main) in Covington registers on Google Maps as a longer commute than from 12th & Vine in Cincy. So maybe you can articulate why you think it's important to exhaust KY first.
I was thinking they might find comparable rentals a bit less expensive and maybe more availability in Mainstrasse than in OTR, but that's based a lot on what I read on this forum about waiting lists, rapidly rising property values, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: