U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 09:00 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,303,405 times

Advertisements

Middletown should annex the surrounding Townships around I-75. Expand it's foot print to about 70 square miles like the city of Frisco in Texas. Make a city of 100,000- 150,000 people. Make a new downtown along I-75 with the accessibility to Commuter rail or High speed rail. No it don't have to be sprawl. Just plan smart with medium to high density.

Frisco, Texas had population of 6000 in 1990. Now it has a population of over 130,000 in 71 square miles.

It makes me wonder if any of Ohio cities has the will to grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 09:07 PM

31,191 posts, read 57,317,340 times
Good God, man! Where are we going to grow corn and soybeans?

Middletown already crosses I-75 to the east, and bumps up against Franklin to the north and Monroe to the south.

It should annex Trenton, do you think?

Old 07-04-2013, 09:14 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,303,405 times
I don't think a city ever Annexed another city. Usually unincorporated area's. Yes get them corn and soybean fields or what ever they sell, so a developer can't buy them and build what they want, because they are in a township.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:19 PM

3,707 posts, read 6,568,475 times
Townships can have strict zoning regulations just as well as cities.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:46 PM

31,191 posts, read 57,317,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
I don't think a city ever Annexed another city.
I don't think it's possible, either. I was just being silly.

But your idea about annexing land to keep it agricultural is an interesting one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
If they have home rule, which I imagine most townships in Butler and Warren counties would have.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:19 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,365,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
But they usually don't. They will agree to about anything a developer proposes since they want the property tax.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:46 AM

3,707 posts, read 6,568,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
But they usually don't. They will agree to about anything a developer proposes since they want the property tax.
Maybe townships in your area, but not in ours. They go for zoning around here to keep the developments out.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,365,633 times
One thing which needs to be noted. A city, incorporated entity, etc. cannot just decide they want to annex adjacent land. There are regulations requiring the home owners to petition for annexation. They must believe becoming part of the incorporated district is in their best interest. Of course cities can always encourage annexation by identifying all of the advantages the property owners will achieve. In tha majority of circumstances that relates to increased value of the land for development via water, sewers, and other infastructure.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:11 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,783,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Middletown should annex the surrounding Townships around I-75. Expand it's foot print to about 70 square miles like the city of Frisco in Texas. Make a city of 100,000- 150,000 people. Make a new downtown along I-75 with the accessibility to Commuter rail or High speed rail. No it don't have to be sprawl. Just plan smart with medium to high density.

Frisco, Texas had population of 6000 in 1990. Now it has a population of over 130,000 in 71 square miles.

It makes me wonder if any of Ohio cities has the will to grow.
That won't happen with Middletown. Ever. Maybe Hamilton, but never Middletown.

Why? Schools and public services. Those are the only two reasons why any area wants to be annexed.

Financially, there is no incentive for surrounding townships to be annexed into Middletown. They already have city water/sewer. They aren't walkable enough to desire Middletown's public transit.

Additionally, there is only one township to be annexed - Franklin Twp. Most likely their allegiance is to Franklin. If the city of Franklin ever became more affluent, then I could see the possibility of a merger with Franklin. Turtlecreek Twp. is not close enough to be in consideration.

Besides all of that, Middletown schools are not good. The suburbanites would never go for a merger with worse schools. A lot of Monroe's growth, besides the natural growth curve of the region striking that far north, probably had to do with their separation from Middletown Schools. Now they are an Excellent-rated district, have a new building, and people are moving there despite the overall sleaze of the city's amenities and its politics (word to the wise - NEVER buy city of Monroe municipal bonds).

Although I could see Hamilton growing through acquisition if its schools got better. A lot is happening in Downtown Hamilton, the city is good condition overall, and honestly I can see Hamilton city schools being better than Fairfield city schools in five years. Then Fairfield Twp. will want to be annexed by Hamilton. They already get their city utilities from the Butler County regional water/sewer , so it would be an easy transition. That would put Hamilton near 100k people. Just a thought...

Old 07-05-2013, 09:50 AM

3,751 posts, read 10,209,292 times
My assumption is that Turtlecreek (which is a fairly large township geographically speaking) would voluntarily merge with Lebanon before it would ever allow itself to be annexed by Middletown.

Middletown (whether fairly or not) has a reputation as being on a dying trend. Poor schools. Poor economics. Few jobs. Dying downtown. This is not an area that outlying townships are going to willingly agree to join.

I think Middletown has some neat things (I like the art building downtown -- has some interesting boutiques/galleries inside) .. but unfortunately I don't just think annexation is going to be their solution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati