U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 07:51 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,141,516 times

Advertisements

Need a quick break down of how the taxes are in these areas, both city and property based on where one works and what school district they live in. I work in Blue Ash and rent in Mason, so I don't pay double city tax. I'd like to keep this going.

I'm finding Mason areas in Mason school district is $5k per year property tax on $300k homes.
Deerfield twp in Mason city school district is a little less.
I need to still check Mason in Kings school district or South Lebanon in Kings school district.

I'd like to stay east of 42 and south of 42 where it crosses 741. We really like where we at right now in Mason because of the ease of access to 71 from kings mills. Quick acesss to 71 is important, so living off Mason Montgomery Rd in one of the developments by Tyersville rd, socialville foster, or western row would be ideal, but homes for sale here are flying off the shelves. These subdivisions are HOT right now. Seems like folks don't mind the $5k per year propert tax on $300k homes in this area as the average days on market for these homes is <5 days! I wonder how taxes for similar homes in S Lebanon past target/lowes in Kings school district? What about the area off Montgomry Rd to the right of 71 with easy access to fields ertel rd exit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:23 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,360,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Need a quick break down of how the taxes are in these areas, both city and property based on where one works and what school district they live in. I work in Blue Ash and rent in Mason, so I don't pay double city tax. I'd like to keep this going.

I'm finding Mason areas in Mason school district is $5k per year property tax on $300k homes.
Deerfield twp in Mason city school district is a little less.
I need to still check Mason in Kings school district or South Lebanon in Kings school district.

I'd like to stay east of 42 and south of 42 where it crosses 741. We really like where we at right now in Mason because of the ease of access to 71 from kings mills. Quick acesss to 71 is important, so living off Mason Montgomery Rd in one of the developments by Tyersville rd, socialville foster, or western row would be ideal, but homes for sale here are flying off the shelves. These subdivisions are HOT right now. Seems like folks don't mind the $5k per year propert tax on $300k homes in this area as the average days on market for these homes is <5 days! I wonder how taxes for similar homes in S Lebanon past target/lowes in Kings school district? What about the area off Montgomry Rd to the right of 71 with easy access to fields ertel rd exit?
Please undertand that South Lebanon was once an avoid at the penalty of death area. Like everything elese with expansion these ideas change. Much of South Lebanon is in the Kings Mills School District, and that is not a bad thing. But I believe South Lebanon is still a village status, meaning the population is still not enough to be a City. I would strongly consider once they achieve City status, what will change? In particular the levying of a local income tax. I don't find a local income tax to be a bad thing. Mason's income tax is on the low side, but it still brings in a revenue from people who work in but do not live in the city.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,141,516 times
Good point Ken. I looked at a home in south Lebanon and the tax was the same at $5k. Another in Lebanon was $4200, but as you said once it becomes a city it could very well be the same as Mason.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Good point Ken. I looked at a home in south Lebanon and the tax was the same at $5k. Another in Lebanon was $4200, but as you said once it becomes a city it could very well be the same as Mason.
Many people feel Deerfield township is less taxes because they do not have a local income tax, townships being prohibited by law. This just means any township services have to be funded out of property tax. As you say, you work in Blue Ash and pay Blue Ash local income tax. But Mason grants you a reciprocity in full so you owe Mason nothing. But there are many people who work in Mason and thus pay Mason period. My looking at the difference in Mason and Deerfield property taxes shows a very small difference, partricularly if in Mason School District, in fact sometimes Deerfield is higher. One thing I can guarantee, the township services do not hold a candle to the City of Mason services.

I posted in another thread, Exile Back to to Cincinnati (Seriously Enough) by Bhuggins a response to what I consider a snide remark by natininja where I flatly state Living in Mason is not cheap, particularly property taxes. But to say Mason is strickly a one-dimensional elite society is also wrong. People live in Mason because they are willing to pay the price to send their kids to Mason Schools. This includes all of the foreign immigrants who are coming here and diversifying our society.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 AM

maxmodder...

As far as Montgomery Rd and Fields Ertel, recognize a couple of things.

The property to the east side of Montgomery Rd is actually Loveland and Loveland School District. This extends from about Hopewell Rd north to 20 mile stand, Columbia Rd.

I would personally want to avoid the I-71 Fields Ertel Rd exit. A far more acceptable exit is the South Kings Island exit at Western Row and Columbia. Have you investigated the Landen area and surrounds? Much of the housing may be smaller than you desire, but there are some larger ones particularly to the north of the original development. Recognize there is not really a Landen, it is just what they call a census designated place, meaning a name with nothing behind it. Landen is actually township, Deerfield. Recognize Kings Mills itself is in the same catagory - unincorporated. The majority of Landen is in Kings Mills School district, which holds its own nicely.

Have you taken Kings Mills Rd east across I-71 past Kings Island Drive to where the post office is? Right there at the top of the hill where Columbia Rd dips down north into the valley headed to South Lebanon are some very attractive subdivisions. Talk about convenient to I-71, you are sitting on it.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:54 PM

5 posts, read 10,528 times
Are you referring to the new builds behind Target and Kohls? Like Drees maybe. I am interested in looking here due to closeness to the highway and still in Kings Schools. My husband works in Wilmington so we are trying to decide where to buy a house. Kings or Mason schools. Our kids are very young but schools are our top priority. We are looking to spend $275 and want a few trees and a pool community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati