Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:02 AM

8 posts, read 12,771 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for your tips!

Have you searched this forum for answers to your questions before posting a new inquiry?
. What specific topic have you not found answers to?
Great forum. I have found everything I need, but I would love to get some situation specific responses.

. Where is you current location and environment?
I am coming from Cleveland, used to working downtown, but not the luxury of living downtown.

. Are you looking for similar in Cincinnati or a change?
A change. Cleveland is a great place for so, so many reasons but I suppose am looking for something different. Friendly people, new nightlife. Cleveland has a great one but I would like to see the best Cinci has- I never hear anything but good things from the people I know down there.

. Where will your work location be?
Central business district. VERY high travel I will be out daily and in other states monthly. This may be a factor in how much I am trying to spend, since I will be out so much, but it is, admittedly, still very up in the air. Besides it is my home I want a really really nice place, even if that means a very little one.

. Maximum commute time desired?

It doesn't really matter because I will be in the office like 1-2 times a week, and my 'commute' time is going to be like 5 hours to another city no matter where I live in Cinci. I would like to live within 45 minutes of CBD, but again it doesn't really matter. I want to live near or in downtown (or whatever the cool area is) just for the view and the fun. I wouldn't mind being right downtown, although I have heard from people here and elsewhere that a ten minute commute from the CBD, which is abutting OTR, to Hyde, Oakley, Clifton etc. can exponentially drop crime where you reside.

. What is you budget for housing?
I am still unsure what my budget would be. Min 350 Max 1200. A narrower 500-800 is probably more realistic. I don't need to be spending a ton because I will be out of town weekly. However, I want a very, very cool apartment. Think one-bedroom yuppie IKEA-clad pseudo luxury.
. Rent or buy?
Rent is the only option.
. Type (Apt., Condo, Single Family)
Apartment.
. Size (Approx. Sq. Ft., # Bedrooms & Baths)
1 BR. No preference on sq feet. I don't really want a dorm room, and I can't afford a huge penthouse.
. Other specifics?
My favorites are actually just 1 BR with a lofted bedroom space. I think they are very cool even the small ones.

. Neighborhood environment?
. Urban, young professional, nightlife
I don't mind the yupster scene because I like to pretend I run the world just like anyone, but I don't necessarily want to be neck deep in stressed out grad students. My close friends range from valet & bartenders to business people. In Cleveland we have E.4th which tends to be more yuppie nicer restaurants and high quality cocktail bars, and W.6th which is more of a dance club and trendy bar scene. I prefer 4th but I like both.
. Mid-urban, close in neighborhood or suburb, stable investment
This is like my second living preference. The appeal of downtown for me is the stuff to do and the view, however I tend to find that this mid-urban area is a preferable brewery/bar scene for regular hanging-out. In Cleveland, this would be like W.25th Street, Ohio City, W.117th street. I would like to know where this equivalent is. Clifton?
. Suburban, low maintenance, quiet streets, soccer mom atmosphere
No. Maybe in 200 years. I love nature (fishing, sitting outside) but I don't like to mow.
. Lots of same age kids, activities
This might be the most important thing. I am early 20's. I have some friend and family down there but I am basically uprooting and starting my life. I want to make new friends and meet a girl.
. Great schools
n/a
. Older, distinctive architecture, individual character
If I can't live in a high rise or cool downtown apt. I definitely would like to live in a cool neighborhood. The equivalent up here is Cleveland Heights/Coventry.
. Modern, 15 yrs old or less, move-in ready
I like old neighborhoods but not old beat to h*** apartments.

. Yard - none, small, large (1/2 acre or more)
None or small.
. Very safe, low crime area?
Close to the cool parts of the city without being close to crime. If someone were to drive to Cinci to hang out, what part of town would they be going to? Fun is my highest priority but I don't want to live in a really bad area.
. Can tolerate some degree of crime potential? How Much?
I'm from Cleveland- I saw SWAT teams sometimes weekly times just while commuting. With that being said I don't want to reside in or near any of that. However, living in the most fun part of Cincinnati is the most important thing. Which neighborhoods are the bad ones? If Cinci is like Cleveland, there are neightborhoods that have an unduly poor rep and others that people have no idea how bad they really are.

. Community amenities?
. Daily needs within walking distance, shopping, restaurants, parks, etc.
All of the above. It would be cool to be walking distance from the coolest concert venues in town, the river, breweries, or the most fun daily scene. I need a favorite brewery, bar where they can make you ANYTHING, fancy restaurant, divey restaurant, and concert venue.
. Swimming, fitness center, running track, adult activities
Competition pools, northland ice center, any boxing or martial arts clubs. I like exercise places that you don't need a membership to since I will be out of town so much.
. Close promity to public transportation?
It is a plus.
. Lots of parks & youth athletic leagues
It would be cool to be able to walk to a fishing spot, and to be able to drive to a rural park. That is a plus about Cinci is that this seems very possible.
. Jogging & biking trails
Where is the good motorcycling and rollerblading?

. Specific wants/desires?
. Please identify any specific wants/desires not mentioned above.
I will describe my ideal setup: One bedroom. I would pay top dollar for less space downtown if it had a balcony and a breathtaking view- I want to spend the next year looking at the most amazing view of the city that exists. I would spend the same price on a tiny place with an awe-inspiring view that I would for a townhouse. I would also rather have cool stuff than a huge space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:03 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
a nice, modern 1BR apartment in a good part of OTR would be 950-1250. That is probably where you want to be based on what you're describing. Any 'bargains' in OTR are either in the terrible parts or they are old nasty tenements without any updates. OTR is more happening than the CBD wrt nightlife. The Banks is the one exception, but I don't think you'll be able to get in there without moving your budget upwards a few hundred dollars.

a good second choice is Mt Adams, but again you are in the 850-1200 range for a 1BR.

You can find something cheaper (but not much) in Hyde Park / Oakley.

Mostly I want to say that 500-800 is NOT REALISTIC for a "pseudo luxury" 1BR apartment in the kind of area you're describing. You could find an older apartment without updates in Hyde Park / Oakley or something decently nice in less happening areas like Walnut Hills, Madisonville, Norwood, Pleasant Ridge, Price Hill, etc. Or something decently nice in semi-hip and semi-scary areas like north OTR, mohawk, etc

Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 AM

4,482 posts, read 6,236,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
a nice, modern 1BR apartment in a good part of OTR would be 950-1250. That is probably where you want to be based on what you're describing. Any 'bargains' in OTR are either in the terrible parts or they are old nasty tenements without any updates. OTR is more happening than the CBD wrt nightlife. The Banks is the one exception, but I don't think you'll be able to get in there without moving your budget upwards a few hundred dollars.

a good second choice is Mt Adams, but again you are in the 850-1200 range for a 1BR.

You can find something cheaper (but not much) in Hyde Park / Oakley.

Mostly I want to say that 500-800 is NOT REALISTIC for a "pseudo luxury" 1BR apartment in the kind of area you're describing. You could find an older apartment without updates in Hyde Park / Oakley or something decently nice in less happening areas like Walnut Hills, Madisonville, Norwood, Pleasant Ridge, Price Hill, etc. Or something decently nice in semi-hip and semi-scary areas like north OTR, mohawk, etc
Great post. The only consideration I would add is Prospect Hill. If it were me, I would get a Realtor because OTR and Prospect Hill are in high demand. Private message me for a rec. on a Realtor. Best of luck.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:22 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
Your situation sounds very similar to a friend of mine who just finished his commitment as a JAG lawyer for the air force, although he is early 30s not 20s. His criteria were very similar, and he travels most of the time as well.

His second choice ended up being OTR. He was in fact ready to sign a lease there until he noticed a few red flags that scared him a bit. He finally decided on a place on Greenup street in Covington. He quickly found a place in the scene there and he is loving the social life.

My serious girlfriend has a place off of Nassau in Walnut Hills/Eden Park where I stay from time to time. She bought it 5-6 years ago in her mid 20s when she was working downtown for quite a bargain. If I had taken a different path and started working after college rather than graduate school, that is where I would have wanted to live. There is not much that is 'happening' on her block, but it is literally a two minute bicycle ride or a 5 dollar cab ride to downtown, and the rents are half that of Mt. Adams or less. Plus, there is plenty of street parking for when we have parties. Crime is more of an issue there than at my house (she recently had someone break into her garage and steal her lawnmower and a ladder) but not appreciably more of an issue than in Mt. Adams and certainly less than the majority of OTR.

Finally, I would not overlook CUF. There are quite a few newer apartments that have been built within the last 5-10 years that are in your budget. You may find that OTR and even Mt. Adams professional scene is a bit older than you. Most of the 21-23 year olds in Cincinnati will be students, and many of them will be living around UC. I have observed that OTR seems to mainly cater to the 25-35 crowd and Mt. Adams the 25-45. My 21-22 year old students tend to frequent the places where the beer is cheap, such as Oakley, Mt. Lookout, Hyde Park, and CUF more than downtown, Mt. Adams, and Mainstrasse. On Friday and Saturday nights the younger folks venture out a bit more, but not so much during the week.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:33 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,424 times
You mentioned Clifton a few times. By Clifton, I am going to assume you're using the name not as a catch-all for the Uptown neighborhoods, but the proper name for the neighborhood with its main business district on Ludlow Avenue near Telford. (Not CUF up by UC, like Chemistry_Guy mentions -- which btw sometimes has nice city views, like on Klotter.)

Clifton is a safe neighborhood, with students and families alike, though it is not exciting or trendy. It's liberal and eclectic and stable. Stable in both good and bad ways. There are restaurants and a couple bars, a movie theater, some (sometimes weird) shops. But it's not the place to go for an exciting night on the town, like you seem to be after. Though it is a short trip from Clifton to places that are that (CUF, OTR, Northside).

If your budget turns out to be too low for Mt. Adams, Over-the-Rhine, and the CBD, I suggest adding Northside to your list. It is a reasonable place to go for an exciting night on the town. There are people your age there, it's more affordable than the city center, and it is a trendy/cool area. It skews more hipster than yupster, but so does your budget (assuming $500-800 is the true budget).

Chemistry_Guy's mention of Covington is another good lead to follow, and Newport might work, too, since it's a short walk/bike ride from Downtown, over the river (also close to restaurants and entertainment in NKY).

Old 07-10-2013, 03:20 PM

Great replies thank you guys so much. It sounds like Cinci is a lot like Cleveland in that if you live downtown you are mostly just paying for the location which is a mere novelty. I think I will expand my search as you recommended. Maybe something with a view of the skyline and a cool bar and restaurant scene. From what I have found online living just outside of downtown might make one able to get a cooler/more modern apartment that is also cheaper.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:28 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
OP ...

I feel your comments about travel are indicative. If as much as you stated, I hope you are getting a company car, including all operating expenses and insurance. Just try and avoid their declaring this is income to you. Oh yes they may try. But even then, when you are home I assume parking is on you. I would hate to pay a high monthly parking fee again for something I seldom use. So I concur with those saying look at NKY. Stating I want a view is all well and good, but if you only enjoy it every few days kind of a mox-nix.

Find a small apartment easy to take care of and control costs. As you said, furnish it in early IKEA. Concentrate on the job. When you are home it is so easy to go to places on either side of the river which are hoping. If you don't live in one, go to one, after all how many times will you expect to be home during the week?

Old 07-10-2013, 04:34 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,424 times
I would say an apartment with a view is more in line with what you say regarding paying extra for a novelty. You would most definitely be paying more for the place with a view than a place across the street with no view.

Living downtown, OTOH, is not just higher priced for novelty, but for access to so many things in such a short walk. NFL, MLB, orchestra, theater, museums, the city's top dining scene, parks on the river, a huge number of bars and clubs, etc., but you have to pay a price for that.

Mt. Adams has the best views, but it's not much cheaper than downtown, if at all. Prospect Hill has good views, and is probably a bit cheaper, so look there. Klotter (and maybe Emming), as I mentioned before, have good views. And there is a substantial amount of amenities near UC (which is near Klotter/Emming), so that might be somewhere to look. I don't know about finding hyper-modern apartments in either of those locations, though.

Hitting all your desires at your price point might be unicorn territory. Though for $1200, you could probably do it.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:29 PM

Some clarifications.

-I don't expect to hit all or even most of the amenities I listed. Two things I will not forgo- breathtaking view, nice layout.

-I'm not going to be rolling in hundreds but I just don't want to get stuck in another dump- I've had experiences where I found that for just a couple hundred more I could have had a much nicer setup in the same area.

-Not all the travel is overnight. No work/life advice please, location only.

Other than that you guys have helped me get a better picture of what is available. Any advice on specific locations? I think at this point I will just have to make a trip down and hang out in a few areas, then another to look at places.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:57 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Ultimately, you get what you pay for. A nice layout is closely tied in with an updated apartment. An exception are the 50s-60s brick box four plexes that are all over the City. These are great basic apartments with good layouts. However, I'm struggling to think of any that have any kind of view worth mentioning.

The incline district in Price Hill may have something to your liking.

You know, I just remembered that I looked at an apartment in Liberty Hill that was like $800 a month. It had more or less everything you wanted. Check there, although I think rents have gone up a lot since I looked at that place 5 years ago.

Last edited by progmac; 07-11-2013 at 06:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati