U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2013, 03:21 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,352,752 times

Advertisements

What are the worst dive bars that you have patronized in the area? By worst I mean shabbiest decor, roughest patrons, and most illegal activity. I do not mean 'worst' as in high prices or bad service.

The two places that come to my mind that I have been to this summer are the Arena Lounge in Madisonville and Junkers Tavern in Northside. I walked into the Arena lounge around 7:00 on a Saturday to meet a friend who lives down the street and I was the only patron besides the bartender who was wearing a shirt. I went so see a band at Junkers tavern and I was expecting a rough crowd. My expectations were exceeded by orders of magnitude. Bikers were snorting meth in the parking lot, drunks were asleep at the tables, and periodically crackheads were wandering in asking for water and to use the restroom. Everyone seemed to get along fine, though.

I know I probably pass a number of establishments every day that are as bad or worse, but I have never had a reason to go inside.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 03:26 PM

4,007 posts, read 4,828,826 times
Hamilton Bar in Northside. The ironic thing is the patrons are friendly. But when I say dive I mean dive. The bathroom floor is so rotted someone will eventually fall through to the basement. Cash only too. Oh, they keep the ash trays right on the bar and could care less about getting caught.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:51 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,363,536 times
Chemistry_Guy and Tomjones123 ... This is a great thread. I tried to give you both rep points, but apparently do not spread them around enough.

Of course you don't expect to really get a wide variety of responses - do you?

There is an old bar in downtown Mason called the Pleasure Inn. I would expect some time ago it had some ability to provide the Pleasure, at least a few of my older commrades make reference to such.

A few years ago the proprietor gained some local notoriety by putting a sign in his window stating Speak English to be Served. The media and the ACLU jumped all over that. He removed the sign, but the atmosphere inside the bar has not changed one iota.

If you are a dark skinned individual I would strongly advise staying away from there. It is smack dab in the middle of the original downtown Mason. I am sorry to say nothing has happened in my 37 years of living in Mason to counter-act the imbeciles who frequent there.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I am sorry to say nothing has happened in my 37 years of living in Mason to counter-act the imbeciles who frequent there.
And I doubt anything will, notwithstanding a change of ownership or an act of God.

On a lighter note, some years ago I was in a bar in central Virginia called the 501 Club. It was such a God-awful redneck hangout that they refused to serve bottles - cans only. Why? You can't accomplish much if you smack someone in the head with a can.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:41 PM

89 posts, read 158,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
And I doubt anything will, notwithstanding a change of ownership or an act of God.

On a lighter note, some years ago I was in a bar in central Virginia called the 501 Club. It was such a God-awful redneck hangout that they refused to serve bottles - cans only. Why? You can't accomplish much if you smack someone in the head with a can.
I'm from Southwest VA (might as well be a different country from Central VA), and I've heard of the 501 Club. It's got some notoriety.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:35 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
I'll see your Arena Lounge and raise you a Bramble Inn!

We walked in, chugged one beer, and walked out, never to return. Must have been a slow night there; I didn't see any weapons in plain sight. I don't know what we were thinking.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:00 PM

2,509 posts, read 3,352,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'll see your Arena Lounge and raise you a Bramble Inn!

We walked in, chugged one beer, and walked out, never to return. Must have been a slow night there; I didn't see any weapons in plain sight. I don't know what we were thinking.
Are you talking about "The Patch" aka the Bramble Patch on the corner of Bramble and Plainville? You probably saw my family members.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:33 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,433 times
Dillinger's Tavern in Oakley is one for sure.

But, I think without a doubt, the worst has to be the Lucky Lady Tavern on Hamilton Avenue where Mill Road splits off. Holy cripes, what a dump.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:37 PM

31,165 posts, read 57,302,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Are you talking about "The Patch" aka the Bramble Patch on the corner of Bramble and Plainville? You probably saw my family members.
Oh, no, I know the difference. The Bramble Patch is a respectable place. A dive, but respectable. LOL

I think the Bramble Inn has changed names several times since I've moved away. It should be burned to the ground.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Dillinger's Tavern in Oakley is one for sure.

But, I think without a doubt, the worst has to be the Lucky Lady Tavern on Hamilton Avenue where Mill Road splits off. Holy cripes, what a dump.
Just checked that place on google maps. Demolish it, demolish it now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or