U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-19-2013, 08:49 PM

10 posts, read 6,462 times
Default Does anybody know about these rural areas?

I am looking at relocating to one of these areas:
Concord Twp.
Miami Twp.
Pleasant Twp.
Colerain Twp.
Pike Twp.
Sterling Twp.
Green Twp.
Liberty Twp.
Washington Twp.
Oxford Twp.
also the cities of Williamsburg and Blanchester.
I would like to know about any crime or drug use in these areas and the proximity to necessities. Any other info you have about these areas would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-19-2013, 09:17 PM

1,004 posts, read 391,049 times
Would you be willing to list counties with these, OP?

For instance, there are Liberty Twp's in Butler and Preble County, Miami Twp's in Hamilton and Clermont county, etc.

The only one listed I can speak for wothout this criteria is Oxford Twp. It surrounds a college town, so there is an active party scene with drugs/alcohol which seeps into high school culture more readily than in most other places.

That being said, property values are rising, lots of new expensive homes are being built, Talawanda Schools are decent and improving with their impressive new facilities, and there is virtually no crime. The town has a nice Kroger, TJMaxx, and small independent to fulfill most every basic need. Oxford also has a boondoggle of a SuperWalmart, which is unprofitable due to a bad location and a complete misunderstanding of ther target market (rich sorority girls).

For everything else, Hamilton, Jungle Jims, and Bridgewater Falls is roughly 20-35 min away depending where you are located. High end shopping at Kenwood, downtown Cincy, or the Greene is about an hour away.

Last edited by OHKID; 07-19-2013 at 09:30 PM..

Unread 07-19-2013, 09:59 PM

10 posts, read 6,462 times
Ok I figured out the counties
Concord Twp./Highland County
Miami Twp.-Colerain Twp./Hamilton County
Pleasant Twp.-Pike Twp.-Sterling Twp.-Green Twp./Brown County
Liberty Twp./Clinton County
Washington Twp.-Oxford Twp./Clemont County
hope this helps

Unread 07-20-2013, 06:26 AM

1,021 posts, read 904,363 times
I think it would be impossible to differentiate these areas on drug activity. I think you would find that it is very uniformly distributed in these areas, and I think you will find that people are quite willing to engage in crime to support their habits. I have some friends, who a few years ago wanted to move further out into a "safer" and "quieter" rural area (one of the ones you listed, but it really doesn't matter which), and built a new house in an upscale development only to find out that the neighborhood is regularly targeted by meth addicts trying to break into houses to steal whatever they could. It happens anywhere.

Unread 07-20-2013, 01:11 PM

7,444 posts, read 4,983,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
I think it would be impossible to differentiate these areas on drug activity. I think you would find that it is very uniformly distributed in these areas, and I think you will find that people are quite willing to engage in crime to support their habits. I have some friends, who a few years ago wanted to move further out into a "safer" and "quieter" rural area (one of the ones you listed, but it really doesn't matter which), and built a new house in an upscale development only to find out that the neighborhood is regularly targeted by meth addicts trying to break into houses to steal whatever they could. It happens anywhere.
Good observation. Property crime is likely not lower in rural areas. In addition to theft feeding drug habits there is also the problem of drug cultivation, from marijuana growing to meth labs. Rural law enforcement simply has limited resources to devote to this. But I agree stating one spcific location is a hot bet of activity compared to another is likely pretty weak.

When I hear of a drug sting out near where I live, it is usually a fairly widespread operation which sometimes takes several weeks to put together. They don't want just the pushers and distributors, they want the main players. Otherwise they just move someplace else.

OP... You mention Williamsburg and Blanchester. Williamsburg is still pretty much of a sleepy little village of 2,490. Blanchester is also a village, but a little larger at 4,243. They may look like cities out there, but they are not.

I remember going to Blanchester when I was a young teenager. Since I am 73 that would have been 60 years ago. My parents had a family friend, not relatives, from Blanchester. Her parents owned a farm on the outskirts of town. Herbert and Wilma had a typical house, although on 10 acres at the edge of town. Herbert worked at Cincinnati Milling Machine and made the trek to Oakley every workday. Wilma's brother helped her father run the farm and lived in a house on the edge of the farm property. We were in Blanchester a lot, particularly during harvest season. They would recruit everyone they knew to come and help with the harvest. The parents had a big old farm house surrounded by mature trees. They raised a variety of animals, including dairy cows. And of course they had some large chicken houses the eggs which were a cash crop. Of course there were always some young ones good for frying. Some of my best memories come from those times.

The mother had a large enclosed wooden porch off the rear of the farm house. This served as her kitchen. No need for heat as she still cooked on wood fired stoves. But what food. She made fried chicken to die for, I am sure fried in lard from one of their pigs which they rendered. Fresh churned butter on biscuits baked in a wood fired oven, same place the apple pies came from. When they had a large harvest crowd they would go get commercial ice and then set us kids about churning ice cream made from fresh cream culled from that day's milking. All they needed was vanilla. Fresh churned vanilla ice cream on still warm apple pie a la mode. Name me something better. If an event early enough in the season we would have sweet corn on the cob from their own garden running out of our ears. They had a large fruit cellar, so things like tomatoes could be kept for awhile. Later in the season we may have to settle for home grown green beans smothered with bacon pieces and of course cooked in lard.

My parents friends of course knew it was no use to duplicate the farm. So on their land, which was quite fertile, they had about 3 acres of strawberry plants. Don't know whether you have ever grown strawberries, but when they are ripe they are ripe. I think the entire picking window may be about 10 days. If we happened to be around at that time, Herbert would go over to the farm and cull out some heavy cream. None of that Cool Whip S--t, fresh baked srawberry shortcake and real whipping cream - Oh Man!

Another portion of their property, again a few acres, they devoted to asparagus. Again, don't know if you have ever grown it. They call it a root, but I call it a tuber. After planting, it has to get established before anything recognizable happens. Then all of the sudden in the early spring asparagus shoots everywhere. Again a short harvest season. The shoots can grow an unbelievable amount in one day. Eitheer cut them or loose them as a woody branch.

So I have related a portion of my young life I frankly do not expect many today to be able to duplicate.

We have to understand that animal lard will kill us. OK, but I had relatrives who owned rendering plants in SouthWest Ohio who made more money than most of you will ever see. I ate food out on the farm in Blanchester which most of you will never see the equivalence of.

As we blindly follow those who lead us, guess I am glad to be old enough to not care.

Unread 07-21-2013, 07:58 AM

312 posts, read 286,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Good observation. Property crime is likely not lower in rural areas. In addition to theft feeding drug habits there is also the problem of drug cultivation, from marijuana growing to meth labs. Rural law enforcement simply has limited resources to devote to this. But I agree stating one spcific location is a hot bet of activity compared to another is likely pretty weak.

When I hear of a drug sting out near where I live, it is usually a fairly widespread operation which sometimes takes several weeks to put together. They don't want just the pushers and distributors, they want the main players. Otherwise they just move someplace else.

OP... You mention Williamsburg and Blanchester. Williamsburg is still pretty much of a sleepy little village of 2,490. Blanchester is also a village, but a little larger at 4,243. They may look like cities out there, but they are not.

I remember going to Blanchester when I was a young teenager. Since I am 73 that would have been 60 years ago. My parents had a family friend, not relatives, from Blanchester. Her parents owned a farm on the outskirts of town. Herbert and Wilma had a typical house, although on 10 acres at the edge of town. Herbert worked at Cincinnati Milling Machine and made the trek to Oakley every workday. Wilma's brother helped her father run the farm and lived in a house on the edge of the farm property. We were in Blanchester a lot, particularly during harvest season. They would recruit everyone they knew to come and help with the harvest. The parents had a big old farm house surrounded by mature trees. They raised a variety of animals, including dairy cows. And of course they had some large chicken houses the eggs which were a cash crop. Of course there were always some young ones good for frying. Some of my best memories come from those times.

The mother had a large enclosed wooden porch off the rear of the farm house. This served as her kitchen. No need for heat as she still cooked on wood fired stoves. But what food. She made fried chicken to die for, I am sure fried in lard from one of their pigs which they rendered. Fresh churned butter on biscuits baked in a wood fired oven, same place the apple pies came from. When they had a large harvest crowd they would go get commercial ice and then set us kids about churning ice cream made from fresh cream culled from that day's milking. All they needed was vanilla. Fresh churned vanilla ice cream on still warm apple pie a la mode. Name me something better. If an event early enough in the season we would have sweet corn on the cob from their own garden running out of our ears. They had a large fruit cellar, so things like tomatoes could be kept for awhile. Later in the season we may have to settle for home grown green beans smothered with bacon pieces and of course cooked in lard.

My parents friends of course knew it was no use to duplicate the farm. So on their land, which was quite fertile, they had about 3 acres of strawberry plants. Don't know whether you have ever grown strawberries, but when they are ripe they are ripe. I think the entire picking window may be about 10 days. If we happened to be around at that time, Herbert would go over to the farm and cull out some heavy cream. None of that Cool Whip S--t, fresh baked srawberry shortcake and real whipping cream - Oh Man!

Another portion of their property, again a few acres, they devoted to asparagus. Again, don't know if you have ever grown it. They call it a root, but I call it a tuber. After planting, it has to get established before anything recognizable happens. Then all of the sudden in the early spring asparagus shoots everywhere. Again a short harvest season. The shoots can grow an unbelievable amount in one day. Eitheer cut them or loose them as a woody branch.

So I have related a portion of my young life I frankly do not expect many today to be able to duplicate.

We have to understand that animal lard will kill us. OK, but I had relatrives who owned rendering plants in SouthWest Ohio who made more money than most of you will ever see. I ate food out on the farm in Blanchester which most of you will never see the equivalence of.

As we blindly follow those who lead us, guess I am glad to be old enough to not care.
Kjbrill, your stories zone me out sometimes man. But this was definitely what Blanchester was like some 20-70 years ago. I mean sure, alot of it is still the same but with modern racism and drug activity factored in, it's common to see people generalize most Eastside towns such as Goshen, Blanchester, etc. as drug towns. This isn't completely wrong, as there is definitely intense drug activity in the Wild East... And yes there is plenty of racism out in that direction, I've experienced it myself.

Unread 07-21-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
Kjbrill, your stories zone me out sometimes man. But this was definitely what Blanchester was like some 20-70 years ago. I mean sure, alot of it is still the same but with modern racism and drug activity factored in, it's common to see people generalize most Eastside towns such as Goshen, Blanchester, etc. as drug towns. This isn't completely wrong, as there is definitely intense drug activity in the Wild East... And yes there is plenty of racism out in that direction, I've experienced it myself.
One thing I forgot to mention. My Parents friend had a daughter about my age. Her name was Sue Ann and quite a good looker. So I had no problem with going out to their house. We would go over to the farm and spend time just helping her grandma. Always knew we would come back home loaded down with either things from the garden or the fruit cellar. I used to take her to dances at the local school. The ones I remember the most were square dances. I was considered the city boy and they would show me. The one thing they forgot was I averaged about 6 inches taller than most of them and about 100 lbs heavier. So when the clasped their hands together and went into a swing, all I had to do waw plant my feet and they went flying across the floor towards the wall.

But to get more on track. After I was grown and married, we would continue to go out to Blanchester. Herbert and Wilma were dear people and welcomed us always. Sue Ann of course grew up and married.

I would like to think you can find a nice place to live around Blanchester. And in todays atmosphere it may still be nice. But compared to when I grew up as a boy - No Way!

Unread 07-21-2013, 10:12 AM

1,295 posts, read 564,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhiggins View Post
modern racism
What is this?

Unread 07-21-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
What is this?
Racisim is not always black versus white or others. Racisim is also within a race. The Appalachians living in Hamilton, Ohio who came here for the factory jobs, now mostly non-existent, are just as racist as any other segment of society. The far eastern sections of rural Cincinnati also have an Appalachian population which is different. They do not want to be forced into conforming to the rest of the population. That is my definition of modern racist. If Bhiggins had a different intent I will expect him to chime in here.

Unread 07-21-2013, 12:04 PM

1,295 posts, read 564,962 times
Doesn't seem particularly modern to me. And 'racism' may not be the most appropriate term, since Appalachian is not a race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati