U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 919 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some insight on how to find a job in my field since I've been sending in my résumé to many places for six months and haven't heard back.

I'm in the process of getting my bachelors from University of Phoenix and have been using indeed.com and monster to find places to apply.

It's frustrating because your think I would have at least gotten a generic email saying thanks for the application... But not a word!

I'm unsure where to go from here so I'm open to ideas!

Thanks a bunch,
Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM

50 posts, read 65,434 times
Have you been applying to the generic company HR sites, or have you been able to get a direct contact? If possible, I would try to get a direct contact; you won't fall into the "online application" abyss, and it is much easier to follow up on. Sometimes you can find them on company websites, especially if they are advertising jobs "in demand." Otherwise, you might need to work some contacts.

Not sure if you have specific companies in mind, or what your exact IT experience is, but Cincinnati Children's has a ton of postings for IT right now.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:01 PM

477 posts, read 529,700 times
Quote:
I'm in the process of getting my bachelors from University of Phoenix and have been using indeed.com and monster to find places to apply.
IT professional here. Unless you have a lot of experience doing tech work, applying for a regular IT job while you are going to University of Phoenix is not going to be the way to go, you should be looking to find internships while you are still a student, which will help you build experience and overcome the nasty hurtle of "entry level job - 3 years experience required". Also, Uni of Phoenix I hate to say doesn't have a very good reputation, that may hurt your ability to get a job unless you have something else to offer as a skill that makes you stand out.

What type of IT work are you looking at doing?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:45 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,222,357 times
I am ex-IT here. Over many years I found the IT culture and hiring scene around Dayton and Cincinnati absolutely dismal no matter how many stupid little look alike social media startups get bankrolled around here now.

This region is intensely cliquish - you gotta know someone in order to be taken seriously as a real human candidate. I recommend to the OP to establish a LinkedIn account and start reaching out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
... you should be looking to find internships while you are still a student, which will help you build experience and overcome the nasty hurtle of "entry level job - 3 years experience required".
Neil, a question since you seem to be in the know - do IT employers around here do the unpaid intern (slave labor/gofer) thing? Even at the very worst crapholes I worked in around the region, the student interns were *always* paid - but this is 10+ years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
Also, Uni of Phoenix I hate to say doesn't have a very good reputation, that may hurt your ability to get a job unless you have something else to offer as a skill that makes you stand out.

What type of IT work are you looking at doing?
I say that it can't be any worse than an ITT Tech type graduate. Let's say that I have a really bad taste in my mouth from working with someone OTJ from that "school". The guy invented stupid s*** to lard up the project and assiduously refused to learn the groundwork that already existed.

Neil is quite right, though. You have to get real specific real fast - a technical area and niche - to get an IT job in this economy. Companies used to hire engineering and CS graduates with "generic" interests and aptitude. No more.

One last thing. Aside from the startups and incubators...which suffer by comparison because by definition startups aren't going concerns yet...

95% of the IT and "software engineering" jobs in Cincinnati and a good portion in Dayton are IT cubicle drone roles for banks and insurance companies. I know a bunch of people who worked at "real" software engineering concerns back in the 90s and early 2000s.... every single person who is still in IT is working for some insurance group or some bank. Last year's gifted, prodigal software product line developer is today's accounting report tinkerer.

I see Cincinnati as a huge Microsoft-only button pusher town. Conformity, and NOT talent, is welcome.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 07-31-2013 at 07:55 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 01:27 PM

477 posts, read 529,700 times
Quote:
Neil, a question since you seem to be in the know - do IT employers around here do the unpaid intern (slave labor/gofer) thing? Even at the very worst crapholes I worked in around the region, the student interns were *always* paid - but this is 10+ years ago.
I never encountered them, but I was in UC's excellent CO-OP program which does all the dirty work of sifting through companies/positions for you and even has you take a psychological work assessment test so they will prioritize you for companies that you are a good cultural fit with. For me it was about 6 years ago that I last was working as a student, so things could have changed particularly with the economy being a lot shakier now than then, but my advice in this area is NEVER take an unpaid internship, its not work, its exploitation and there are plenty of opportunities that are paid that you should seek those out and ignore the people who are too cheap to at least give you something in return for your services.

Quote:
Neil is quite right, though. You have to get real specific real fast - a technical area and niche - to get an IT job in this economy. Companies used to hire engineering and CS graduates with "generic" interests and aptitude. No more.
Yes and no on this actually. You have to sell yourself a niche, but keep yourself open to new technologies. This is a difficult area to hit, you need to demonstrate good adaptability while having an area that is a strong suit of expertise. Basically do as many extracurricular things as your job will allow - learn a new language to solve a problem, research tools that could do the same thing etc etc so that your resume will at least reflect the ability to grow and change as well as a deep technical aptitude. Half of the issue is selling yourself, not necessarily what you know but where your interests lie. Also "soft skills" like project management may be more important in some situations than hard technical knowledge.

When the time comes take classes and go to conferences to get a feel for what the industry is like (I highly recommend finding one in the Bay Area and flying out there when you have the resources - that would put you ahead of the curve for a Midwesterner in IT in terms of what software/business processes are in vogue and also give you great networking opportunities) I was always taught to never box yourself too much in one area particularly in technology where your area could become an outdated field - so specialize but always be open to new things and demonstrate adaptability.

Cincinnati's corporate culture tends towards conservatism but there are exceptions that have big stakes in the region. PM me if you want more detail.

Also some companies (though it might be difficult to find and difficult to get) do offer out of town opportunities, so don't limit yourself to just Cincinnati depending on your school schedule.

Last edited by neilworms2; 08-01-2013 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,725,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioan58 View Post
This region is intensely cliquish - you gotta know someone in order to be taken seriously as a real human candidate. I recommend to the OP to establish a LinkedIn account and start reaching out.
How true. I feel really lucky to have gotten in and I know for a fact I would have never gotten my current job had I not attended the University of Cincinnati and had local ties. If you have local ties, PLAY THEM UP. Loyalty and trust matter more than technical knowledge in this town.

But now that I'm in, I'm in. Even if I lost my job, it would be easy to find another one in the same field in the area.

Of course, I'm potentially going to ruin all that by starting my own business in a divergent field...

Anyhow, back to your question, I think Cincinnati is a good place for straight 'what color is your parachute?' type advice. just get a job for a company in your field even if it pays crap and isn't what you were trained for and go from there.

I don't know ANYONE that has actually gotten a job from monster.com type places. I know plenty of people that have sent out literally hundreds of resumes to these places. They are a black hole and a waste of time in my opinion.

Have you checked a temp agency? I have known more than a few people that have had immense fortune with this approach.

I agree about unpaid internships. DON'T DO IT. Nobody in the workplace takes unpaid interns seriously. If you are going to volunteer, volunteer some place that honest-to-god needs volunteers. It is better to work in a soup kitchen than take an unpaid internship. You'd be surprised at the people you'll meet.

I do believe that the cream always rises to the top, so stay positive and keep your technical and interpersonal skills razor sharp. You will be rewarded eventually.

Last edited by progmac; 08-01-2013 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati