Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,899,358 times

Advertisements

Well, I can tell you the DUI scene has changed a lot since the 70s/80s. If someone says they want to be close to bars (as OP did), I'm guessing they like to drink at least occasionally. In that case, you want to be where you (and your friends) can easily get home without driving. This is a big cultural shift which I think some older people have a hard time appreciating. I know my parents liked to party more than I ever did, yet they never blinked at the idea of driving around bar-hopping or driving home after a night out. Today that's not only understood to be extremely irresponsible and dangerous, but also very risky legally (and professionally).

If you just like to have a couple drinks when you go out for dinner, if you have to pay an expensive cab fare to get home, suddenly going out for dinner is insanely expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 06:14 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,709,519 times
OP... I kind of like OHKID's recommendation of Hamilton. It is not the most pizzazz place going, but considering the proximity to Fairfield, has to be a short commute. Hamilton is large enough to have some nice places to live. It is also small enough the prices should be low. I do not frequent it, but just from what I observe driving through there is a variety of bars and restaurants. You can always drive down to Cincinnati when you want to experience the Big City life. But in the meantime you can experience the lower cost small city pubs and restaurants. And if you imbibe too much, should not be difficult to get back home.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:41 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,127,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
I'm not laughing.
Thanks! I just figured everyone would think suggesting Hamilton was a ridiculous idea...

But honestly it's not. Before, I was on my smartphone and in a time crunch, so sorry I couldn't expand more on Hamilton OP. Here's some helpful links:

https://www.facebook.com/HistoricMercantileLofts
(cool loft project in downtown Hamilton - they also keep an active FB page)

Artspace Hamilton Lofts | Artspace
(Cool lofts in Downtown Hamilton that will be coming online in 2014)

Hamilton: Downtown - Artspace Hamilton Lofts
(some discussion about Artspace / downtown Hamilton)

Neighborhood | Hamilton Mercantile Lofts
(A good summary of life in Downtown Hamilton from the Merchantile Lofts)

Home | Ryan's Tavern
(Probably the best bar in downtown Hamilton)

True West Coffee
(Great coffee shop in Hamilton. Even Miami students in Oxford make the trek down to get their coffee)

City of Hamilton, OH : RiversEdge Park and Amphitheater
(new ampitheater in downtown that should bring some good concerts)

I'm kind of in the same boat as you OP (still in college at Miami U though). I did a client project for a Hamilton company that I really liked. Wonderful people, product, and culture - definitely my #1 pick over any of the dozen other companies I have worked with in my career so far. If they have a job opening for someone in my field, I'd jump on it in a second!

So I've been trying to figure out whether I can "make Hamilton work" too, for a while now. There's a lot of movement in the right direction, but not that much of a framework they are building on. I can see it being very successful though, and Hamilton morphing into the address of choice for young professionals in the near future. A lot of industry hungry for YP's centered in the area.... and not a lot of good close living options for YP's!

Above is what I've found out without directly contacting people, experiencing the bar scene, etc. So more digging is definitely necessary as far as Hamilton is concerned if you really are considering it. Either way, OP, keep us all on C-D in the loop!

Old 08-04-2013, 11:49 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,899,358 times
For the record, I don't think the suggestion is ridiculous. It is a dark horse suggestion for a reason, though.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:56 AM

4,471 posts, read 6,183,898 times
Hamilton is pretty redneck. Something to keep in mind. Being as small as it is, I also wonder how welcome a new transplant would feel, or be made to feel. Caveat emptor.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:54 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,127,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
For the record, I don't think the suggestion is ridiculous. It is a dark horse suggestion for a reason, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Hamilton is pretty redneck. Something to keep in mind. Being as small as it is, I also wonder how welcome a new transplant would feel, or be made to feel. Caveat emptor.
Both are true. It's definitely a dark horse suggestion. Also, while Hamilton is very redneck, most of the redneck culture is concentrated on the east side (although the east side is rapidly becoming more Hispanic too). But there's probably a lot of that too on the west side as well, although the west side is visually fine.

In general, downtown, Rossville, and Dayton Lane should be fine (at least from my observations I have been led to believe this is the case). Downtown would be most ideal for a YP.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:55 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,962,073 times
Given the OP is working in Fairfield and looking for something less than $900/month, I'd suggest 1) Clifton Gaslight (easier to get to Rt. 75), 2) Oakley (get within walking distance of Town Square....farther away from Fairfield...but a lot of young professionals there), 3) Northside (easy to Rt. 75....many young people.....but might be too gritty, and 4) Blue Ash (specifically the Charleston at Blue Ash apartments---with a lot of young people, close to downtown Montgomery, fairly close to Fairfield, a suburban feel but very safe).

Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 AM

5,264 posts, read 5,185,417 times
I work in Springdale at the Fairfield Line (office building is off Rt 4 behind the Springdale Cinema de Lux and next to Pappaduex)...anyways, for now I live in an apt complex just down Rt 4 from there...I at least have 1 bar (albeit not a young person's bar lol) called the Century Inn that I do walk to, but most often, I find myself crashing w/ friends because we do go out in Downtown, or OTR, or Hyde Park or Mt Adams.
I would say though that close proximity to work in a new place you've never been to may be the way to go at first...you can always do a 1 yr lease, or even a 6 month lease somewhere, that's say 10-15 min from the work...then get out and explore and find the areas you like more. That was my plan, and still is...just saving up a bit more so that doesn't turn into renting another place but actually buying a small condo instead.
The apt complexes like mine rent in the $700 range for 1 bedroom...there is also a couple of good safe complexes further up in Fairfield that rent for similar amounts.
Charleston at Blue Ash is sweet, but can't be touched for under $1000/month which if you're going to pay that much, you might as well buy a place instead because you can afford it then.
Unfortunately, Fairfield is typical suburban sprawl wasteland though w/ the one good exception being that it does have Jungle Jims...the best grocery store ever lol.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 AM

4 posts, read 7,843 times
First of all, thanks so much to everyone for the replies. I had a pretty good grip on things as far as a basic understanding of some of the neighborhoods and what I wanted, but this is a great wealth of information to absorb. Especially with the distinct possibility of trying to get something a bit closer to work in Fairfield and branching out later, or maybe venturing into Hamilton.

And in a response to much earlier post, I am working in Fairfield, but its on the south side of it. So for example, driving from Clifton, Oakley, Hyde Park all tends to take about 25 min. But that's also considering conditions that aren't rush hour.

Keep the facts and opinions rolling please! However, this also brings up another question: how would you characterize the Cincinnati rush hour? Might be a hard thing to peg down consistently, but any pointers on say making the trip from any of these preferred neighborhoods to the southern tip of Fairfield would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much for all this feedback! Its been 100% helpful.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 AM

5,264 posts, read 5,185,417 times
Barry, 1 of my coworkers commutes from Oakley, and comes in just at 7:30 AM and gets off at 4:30 PM...for him, he has to leave about 6:50 AM to make it on time...most mornings he's fine w/ that.
I also have a coworker that commutes in from Hyde Park but very close to 71...he comes in at 8 AM and leaves at 5 PM...he said his commute is typically 40 min...he is about 3-4 miles closer than the other guy.
I also have a coworker who lives down in Covington, KY...his commute is close to an hr.
Clifton gives you the best commute because you are already near 75...Oakley/HP you have to work your way over to 75, then go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati